PDA

View Full Version : Weaning experiences?

raspberry22
23-06-22, 20:37
Has anyone gone through trying to wean off Setraline, and wondering whether what you are experiencing is withdrawal symptoms OR could it be relapse/actually needing a higher dose?

panic_down_under
24-06-22, 09:51
What dose were you on and how are you weaning off? What symptoms do you have?

raspberry22
24-06-22, 22:01
I was on 100mg and the doctor said to half them so currently on 50mg. I feel kinda miserable and more anxious, whereas before I was quite content. It's been just over a month so I don't know if I should be settled into the lower dose now or not.

panic_down_under
25-06-22, 10:20
I was on 100mg and the doctor said to half them so currently on 50mg.

Too big a cut, imo. I think a cut of no more than 25mg might have made it easier.

I feel kinda miserable and more anxious, whereas before I was quite content.

Was it your decision to wean off, or your doctors? Also how long have you been taking sertraline?

It's been just over a month so I don't know if I should be settled into the lower dose now or not.

The symptoms should be diminishing. How long are you supposed to remain on 50mg?

raspberry22
25-06-22, 11:05
Well it was my decision as even though my mood was stable there were some side effects I wasn't happy with, so I spoke to the doctor and the thought lowering the dose might help, but now I'm not so sure if it was a good idea!

I've been on sertraline for a good few years now!

panic_down_under
25-06-22, 12:39
While lowering the dose may reduce the severity of side-effects it will often be at the expense of effectiveness. If a side-effect, or side-effects are a significant issue then either 'treating' them, or switching to another AD can be the better options. All ADs have potential side-effects, but they tend to be different from AD to AD so the trick is to find one whose side-effects you can live with.

raspberry22
02-07-22, 18:08
While lowering the dose may reduce the severity of side-effects it will often be at the expense of effectiveness. If a side-effect, or side-effects are a significant issue then either 'treating' them, or switching to another AD can be the better options. All ADs have potential side-effects, but they tend to be different from AD to AD so the trick is to find one whose side-effects you can live with.

Thanks for the reply, I think that might be sometihng to discuss with the doctor