PDA

View Full Version : Urine smells rotten :( UTI?

Appa Yip Yip
23-08-22, 05:09
I have taken Bactrim a few times in the past without issue, the last time being over 2 years ago. A few days ago, however, I took one pill in the evening for a UTI and the next morning woke up with what felt like a really chapped top lip in the middle, which also looked a little swollen. Surprisingly, I didn't think much of it and continued with the Bactrim twice that day. Well, the morning after I woke up with a significantly swollen, red upper lip from middle to the right side and what looked like tiny little dark purple blisters (like tiny dots but fluid filled) on the right side. I stopped taking the Bactrim and took Benadryl all day and it almost completely resolved by the next day. But now where the blisters had almost gone (there was just some lingering redness), it looks like little white sores are starting to form. :( Naturally, I googled and read that lip sores can be a sign of Steven-Johnson syndrome which can be caused by Bactrim and now I'm really scared.

I mentioned it to my doctor, and she confirmed it was a reaction to the Bactrim and thought I just didn't take the Benadryl long enough, so I started it again. But that appt was before I read about SJS. I've discontinued Bactrim and she's prescribed Macrobid instead, but now I'm scared to take anything, but also scared not to treat this UTI. Any help/insight would be appreciated.

Appa Yip Yip
23-08-22, 05:17
I have had a few UTIs in the past couple years, but my first symptom was always the classic urgency/burning/discomfort. In the last two weeks though, twice I've woken up with rotten smelling urine that lasted the day and subsided. Both times, the classic UTI symptoms seemed to follow, though the first time the symptoms went away after drinking tons of cranberry juice. This time, however, the symptoms are lingering and I've been prescribed an antibiotic (Bactrim, which I reacted badly to, and now Macrobid which I've yet to start). But I guess what worries me is the smell, as that is new for me (all other times pee smelled normal). The only way I can describe it is rotten. My mind goes straight to bladder cancer or something scary, because I also sometimes feel lately like I have to strain to get all the pee out. It's sending me into tailspin and I'm really scared, please help.

nomorepanic
23-08-22, 12:46
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.