PDA

View Full Version : Jaw pain

txrosie
07-09-22, 02:05
Hi everyone, I have been experiencing jaw pain for the past few days so I went to the dentist to get checked out. I was really worried and so sure I was going to have a bad cavity or abscess but the dentist couldn’t find anything wrong even after doing a full X-ray. The only thing he could see was a small dark spot on a tooth that had already had a root canal and he thinks that is most likely scar tissue.

He thinks my pain is muscular and most likely from tensing and clenching my jaw without realizing it. I should feel relieved but now I am worried about other causes.. like if it could be related to my heart. I did have some chest pain issues at the beginning of the year that I had to go to the ER for and those were ruled muscular as well after blood work, an ekg, and chest X-ray. Recently however I have been experiencing periods of dizziness and low blood pressure, so I’m worried they might have missed something.

I’ve booked a physical with my primary care at the end of the month to put my mind at ease but I don’t know if I can wait that long.. I really feel like I’m starting to spiral.

Has anyone here experienced something similar with having jaw pain caused by tension and any tips on trying to relieve it?

Thanks!

NoraB
07-09-22, 07:19
Has anyone here experienced something similar with having jaw pain caused by tension and any tips on trying to relieve it?

Thanks!

Just gone through this myself and I was diagnosed with TMJ.

I wear a mouth guard at night (or when I do things where I tense my jaw, like knitting ha ha) and I do exercises which the dentist gave me (helps to release the tension)

txrosie
08-09-22, 00:40
Just gone through this myself and I was diagnosed with TMJ.

I wear a mouth guard at night (or when I do things where I tense my jaw, like knitting ha ha) and I do exercises which the dentist gave me (helps to release the tension)

I wish my dentist had given me some exercises to do, all he recommended was applying gentle pressure/massage with a warm wash cloth and offered to write a prescription for muscle relaxers but I declined because I don’t like taking anything that makes me feel out of it. I’m going to try and look up some TMJ exercises online, thanks for the reply!