PDA

View Full Version : Stop a panic attack

stars1976
09-09-22, 23:06
Here is the scenario I'm thinking of.

If you go to work and you feel a panic attack coming on, what drug regimen did the DR put you on, i.e., Propranolol, Diazepam, Sertraline, etc.? Were there other strategies you employed that successfully stopped the panic attack?

BlueIris
10-09-22, 05:34
Breathing exercises work wonders, and they're the only thing I've ever found that can stop a panic attack - it takes a while, but they really stop the debilitating aftershocks you get.

NoraB
10-09-22, 06:47
Here is the scenario I'm thinking of.

If you go to work and you feel a panic attack coming on, what drug regimen did the DR put you on, i.e., Propranolol, Diazepam, Sertraline, etc.? Were there other strategies you employed that successfully stopped the panic attack?

I had one this morning (I can't medicate) so here's what I do..

I breathe.

I do the box breathing technique.

Breathe in through the nose (4 seconds)

Hold this breath (4 seconds)

Breathe out through the mouth (4 seconds)

Hold (4 secs)

I repeat these steps until I feel calm.

Breathing deeply & slowly turns off the fight or flight response. It's a physiological thing, so when people say, 'Don't bother telling me to just breathe etc', they really don't understand the importance.

Carnation
10-09-22, 10:52
I did that for my last PA nora.
I also did the 'clench and unclench the muscles technique, mainly in the face and shoulders.
Then I did the blowing out of imaginary candles.

Phill2
10-09-22, 17:17
The deep breathing works for me. :yesyes:

stars1976
10-09-22, 20:10
Thanks guys for the responses:)

Dee62
11-09-22, 12:52
I'm having difficulties with it this morning. I've taken 10mg propranolol and it's calmed my gr down, but I still feel awful and don't know wether to take a diazepam too ot not. Have been trying breathing exercises but failing.

stars1976
11-09-22, 14:24
i've got propranolol. do u find diazepam is effective? what dose

Dee62
11-09-22, 14:53
Stars1976, I have only 2mg diazepam and its just enough to take the edge off, most of the time. I took a 10mg propranolol this morning and could do with a diazepam too, but even though dr at the hospital said its OK, I'm reluctant. I'm hoping to speak to my Dr tomorrow.

stars1976
13-09-22, 21:59
Cheers for that

NoraB
14-09-22, 08:26
I'm having difficulties with it this morning. I've taken 10mg propranolol and it's calmed my gr down, but I still feel awful and don't know wether to take a diazepam too ot not. Have been trying breathing exercises but failing.

Deep breathing is unlikely to be effective when the brain has to cope with the side effects from multiple meds.

I was taken off my meds because of the severe side effects, so deep breathing was my only option. (And it worked)

As with all medication, we take one drug to combat a symptom, and the drug itself creates other symptoms. Then we take a pill for those symptoms too. And so on and so on.

I would be inclined to try the deep breathing before you resort to medication, not the other way around. If it fails, take the meds. (What have you got to lose by trying?)

Dee62
14-09-22, 17:41
NoraB, thank you. I've taken your advice on board and so far, no meds today. I've tried breathing 'properly'. I do feel a little on edge alot of the time, but pulse mostly OK.

Currently I'm wearing a 7 day heart monitor because of the horrible ectopics etc I've been getting. When I'm calm I can convince myself that it is just anxiety. However, it only takes one flutter, thud, twinge and I'm back down that rabbit hole again. I'm trying so, so hard to tell myself that it's OK, it will pass. I do things to distract myself.

I value and appreciate your advice and wisdom, thank you.

Dee

NoraB
14-09-22, 17:47
Currently I'm wearing a 7 day heart monitor because of the horrible ectopics etc I've been getting. When I'm calm I can convince myself that it is just anxiety. However, it only takes one flutter, thud, twinge and I'm back down that rabbit hole again. I'm trying so, so hard to tell myself that it's OK, it will pass. I do things to distract myself.

I wore one for a week a few years ago. I was having lots of ectopic beats and palpitations. I was fully expecting it to come back abnormal (Thank you HA), but it came back normal.

Try the box breathing technique, Dee. I usually do the 4x4x4x4 one but sometimes I mix it up and take longer on the outbreaths and holds. Do some experimenting and find out what length of time feels right to you but keep doing it. Every time you feel your heart start to race, breathe.

Dee62
15-09-22, 11:17
Thank you again, Nora. You are the voice of reason.
I'm mostly OK during the night, I do sleep. It's when I wake up and feel my tummy all knotted up, and the anxiety builds and builds until I feel so awful again. It can go on like that for hours and hours. Deep breathing helps a little, as does distraction, but boy does it feel horrible.

Dee

DavidJ85
15-09-22, 11:23
Thank you again, Nora. You are the voice of reason.
I'm mostly OK during the night, I do sleep. It's when I wake up and feel my tummy all knotted up, and the anxiety builds and builds until I feel so awful again. It can go on like that for hours and hours. Deep breathing helps a little, as does distraction, but boy does it feel horrible.

Dee

This is literally me at the moment and I've been fine for a long time but something has brought it all back and now I'm in my hyper-stimulated mode again so anything can trigger it. My heart remains medium beating even during a full on panic attack but I sweat profusely and end up on the loo a lot and the adrenaline is unreal. I do the breathing techniques and tell myself this too shall pass but it's the aftermath that gets me. You know now you're gonna be in a hyper-sensitive state and the intrusive thoughts are gonna be on full swing and you've gotta try and let them go. I don't wish this on anyone!

NoraB
15-09-22, 11:27
but boy does it feel horrible.

It does, but it won't harm you.

Lots of people with anxiety struggle in the mornings. This is because sensitisation means that they don't wake up nice and gradually. Cortisol (the wakening hormone) should be gradual, but in anxious people it isn't so much a gentle waking up as a 'WAKE UP! WAKE UP! WAKE UUUUUUP NOW!!' - Seargent Major screaming in your face type of thing. We get up feeling crap and the anxiety builds up and up throughout the day..

It doesn't matter when this is happening to you, Dee, the solution is exactly the same (Breathe)