PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety has returned 😭

mrsgilby569
14-09-22, 00:47
For the last few weeks I’ve had a terrible tooth ache, comes and goes in waves. When I went to my dentist last week he shrugged it off and said no can’t see any problems. Since then it’s been really unbearably painful and keeping me up half the night, I had noticed my neck felt bigger and my throat felt swollen but not painful. So I managed to get a cancellation at my doctors but it’s turned into a nightmare (suffered a breakdown from a health scare years ago). She said my lymph nodes was prominent and that she will get bloods/ENT booked!. Amazing that she’s taking it seriously but it’s made me feel just like I did years ago. I’m sat up googling and have now convinced myself I have some sort of cancer! Luckily I have managed to book an appointment with my dentist, but she didn’t take it seriously and said they are too busy and will have to wait till next week. I just would like someone to chat to, I’m sat in the dark feeling completely numb again. My throat is completely closed up now and I can’t swallow but that maybe the anxiety!.

NoraB
14-09-22, 08:59
I’m sat up googling and have now convinced myself I have some sort of cancer!

Yep. Dr Google will have you boxed up by Christmas!

I just would like someone to chat to, I’m sat in the dark feeling completely numb again. My throat is completely closed up now and I can’t swallow but that maybe the anxiety!.

I'd put it to you that this is a slight exaggeration, because if you really were genuinely unable to swallow, I imagine that you (or someone) would be phoning for an ambulance, rather than posting on here..

You are catastrophising the situation, and your brain will respond to these thoughts by triggering the stress response.

It's also not surprising that you will have a raised lymph node in your neck if you have a dental issue (such as infected tooth)

If toothache is keeping you up at night, your dentist should prioritise you and give you an urgent appointment. (I'd be looking for a different dentist if I were you)

GFW
18-09-22, 09:19
I have had anxiety probably for the best part of 20 years maybe a little bit more when I realised is once you are past the initial shock and worry of an anxious moment You realise how ridiculous it was to have those thoughts but it’s difficult to get past that first initial worry but rest assured those thoughts will go and you will see light at the end of the tunnel

mrsgilby569
11-10-22, 08:55
Thank you for replying.

Since that post I’m currently being seen about my thyroid, I have a swollen thyroid with nodules. I’m getting ultrasound & biopsy on Friday so I’ve been on medication to cope with the anxiety because I’ve not eaten/slept properly in weeks. Hopefully there is nothing nasty growing…. I’m terrified I’ve had restricted breathing thinking it was anxiety it was the goitre lump growing in my neck 😩