PDA

View Full Version : What works for you? Let’s share some tips 😊

Limeslime
19-09-22, 16:24
Hey guys. I’m in a spin and would love some grounding ideas and how to regulate my thoughts and emotions to get through this.

I thought maybe we could start a little thread where we share advice and ideas about what works for us personally to calm us when we’re I having an “episode”.

I think this might be useful because, as we know it’s hard to think rationally at the time, so would be helpful to be able to refer back to.

I’ll start…. I guess for me, distraction is key. A good conversation or debate helps. But 90% of the day I’m alone or just with the kids, so not always an option. Perhaps a good, loud singalong to some power ballads helps too.
Like they says in Stranger Things, music reaches parts of the brain that words can’t”.

Anyone else?

NoraB
19-09-22, 17:20
Like they says in Stranger Things, music reaches parts of the brain that words can’t”.
Anyone else?

Yay, another Stranger Things fan!

I'm with you on the music, but it has to be the right kind when I'm wired. No Master of Puppets. No Killing in the Name. (Definitely no Slipknot)

I go for choral (love a bit o' choral, me), Ella Fitzgerald, The Carpenters, Kate Bush. (Basically, music which brings down the heartrate)

I also find that walking in nature calms me down. Or being by the sea. Watching those waves roll in and out mesmerises me..

Nice thread, L'slime. :shades:

Limeslime
19-09-22, 21:00
Oh yes, can’t beat sea air to clear the mind! Nice shout.

Oooh, I might stick some Carpenters on, that sounds lovely 😊
(Or Rage Against The Machine, love some nostalgia!)

skippy66
20-09-22, 11:48
Distraction is key in the moment, but longer term it's a mindset shift you need.

You need to become more scared of wasting your life worrying than you are scared of the actual weird symptoms. Once you've got to this point, you are cured of health anxiety because you just go and live your life to the full. You get out of your head and start focusing on what's going on around you rather than your head/heart/tingling foot etc.

It's a truly wonderful feeling, and I did it, so you can too.

NoraB
20-09-22, 12:05
It's a truly wonderful feeling, and I did it, so you can too.

Good to hear, Skippy! :shades:

kyllikki
20-09-22, 14:28
I also like a good fussy handicraft for the distraction factor, when my HA flares. It's impossible to be on the internet chasing "symptoms" when you're stitching or gluing or some such. It's even better if you put on a comedy podcast at the same time, or something else like that. I also like sitting on some grass (weather permitting) or otherwise connecting to nature, literally. But really, ultimately, the hard work of addressing who you want to be *right now* in the life you have *today* must be done for progress to happen :)

Limeslime
20-09-22, 15:10
Awesome advice guys! Loving this!!

Based on advice so far, I think I fancy a bit of music and cross stitching today…in the woods. Genuinely sounds like heaven!

I find housework a good distraction too, cos then I feel like I’ve done something productive which in turn, feels good. But finding the motivation when I’m in the pits of anxiety is another matter entirely!

(Reading this entire comment back, music, woods, housework….I think I should just change my username to Cinderella or Snow White!)