PDA

View Full Version : Unable to get a deep breath

Claralou845
20-09-22, 13:46
I have a phone appointment for today with the doctor so am just waiting on them getting back to me.
This is a newish one for me that's got steadily worse over the last couple of weeks to the point I am noticing it all of the time unless I am busy i get some temporary relief. Last night and today I have became quite bad with it and start feeling really light headed. I keep trying to get a deep breath but it's like I can't get my lungs full. I'm probably making it worse by not breathing normally and trying to get big deep breaths constantly. Also keep trying to yawn. Does anyone else suffer from this? i have had it previously but its never lasted very long so this is a bit scary for me. Of course I've already diagnosed myself with heart problems or pulmonary embolism and sent myself into a panic attack thinking i will drop dead. How the hell do I make it go away? Surprisingly I feel better when I exercise, but I've already done a workout this morning. I'm dreading tonight again I already have panic attacks at night and the not being able to get a deep breath is making them worse this week.

NoraB
20-09-22, 13:53
I have this, and it's really unpleasant.

What I do is to completely empty my lungs, then slowly breathe in again. (This usually does the trick)

Also, try not to fixate on your breathing. (Easy said, I know)

kyllikki
20-09-22, 14:23
I've also had this. It turned out to be deconditioning from sitting with bad posture all day + anxiety. It's much better now. Remember also that a deep breath = your stomach moving *out*, i.e. your belly button moving away away from your spine. Your shoulders shouldn't really be involved until the very, very end (when you are in fact over-filling your lungs.)

I wouldn't be overly concerned, however!

Limeslime
20-09-22, 17:36
The fact that you get relief from this when you’re busy definitely suggests this is an anxiety symptom.
I’ve had this too. Doctors call it air hunger, and it’s a very well accepted symptom of anxiety, Grounding techniques, relaxation, distraction and breathing exercises really do help.
If it were the serious issues you mention, it’d wake you in the night and be present at all times.
This is just the dragon again. I’m sure your doctor will be able to reassure you.