PDA

View Full Version : Doctor says I have a Vitamin B12 deficiency. Should I worry?

THoltz
23-09-22, 13:36
Hello everyone,

I went for my annual physical yesterday and all of my results were normal but the Doctor called me back this morning and told me I had a vitamin B12 deficiency. I am perplexed by this because I eat vegetables and meat.

I read that low B12 can cause anaemia as well.

The Dr. wants me to get injections once a week for the next month and then after month an injection once a month or so.

I am very concerned by this.

How common is low vitamin B12? Is this a symptom of something else?

THoltz
23-09-22, 20:07
Anybody?

WorryRaptor
23-09-22, 20:32
Low B12 is pretty common, and can even happen in people who have plenty of meat in their diet. Sometimes the body just doesn't absorb enough for a wide variety of reasons. Stress can even do it.
Do you take anything like PPI's or antacids? They can prevent you from absorbing certain vitamins.

nomorepanic
23-09-22, 22:01
I have B12 injections every 3 months - no big deal

NoraB
24-09-22, 07:56
I have to take B12 supplements because of a deficiency. It's very common..

THoltz
25-09-22, 13:09
I have B12 injections every 3 months - no big deal

Are there any side effects from injections?

THoltz
25-09-22, 13:11
I have to take B12 supplements because of a deficiency. It's very common..

Ah ok.

I noticed I had lost weight when they took my weight at my annual appointment.

I normally am 180-185 lbs but i weighed 177 then and this morning I am 176.

I raised my concerns to my doctor but he didn’t think there was anything to worry about plus all of my blood work came normal save the low B12.

I am worried that there is some underlying bad cause for my low B12. Ughhh

THoltz
25-09-22, 13:33
Now my mind is wandering and thinking it could be Crohns or something else to explain for my low B12 even though I don’t have any symptoms and my blood work was normal. Also I don’t have any blood in stool or anything like that. I suspect I have some form of IBS.

nomorepanic
25-09-22, 15:00
Are there any side effects from injections?

Nope it just hurts a bit unless they inject it really slowly.

THoltz
25-09-22, 15:47
Nope it just hurts a bit unless they inject it really slowly.

Oh ok.

I am still concerned as to why I have low B12. I have IBS I think but otherwise no distressing symptoms like blood in stool or whatever. All of my labs are normal. I will ask tomorrow if they checked my inflammation levels

Ughh so frustrating.

nomorepanic
25-09-22, 17:41
Probably because of the IBS then and you don't have to have blood in poo to have low B12.

NoraB
26-09-22, 06:32
I am still concerned as to why I have low B12.

Most likely cause is diet. Some meds can cause this deficiency too (PPIs)

THoltz
25-10-22, 19:04
I have been getting weekly B12 injections until now. I am supposed to get them every month until March. Then they will test my B12 levels and if I should continue with injections or take supplements.

I notice that I am tired now but my next injection is not due for a couple of weeks. I keep checking my weight and it is in the same range. I was thinking if I had Cronhs or IBD then sudden weight loss might happen.

I can't figure out why I am tired in the late morning and early afternoon. its like I feel somewhat lightheaded and dizzy. It goes away by nighttime but then I can't sleep because I have energy lol

I am worried that my fatigue is something sinister even though my blood work last work was normal except for the low B12

ugh its always something