PDA

View Full Version : Sinuses

Carnation
27-09-22, 18:29
Anyone else suffering with their sinuses?
Any tips, natural remedies, meds, advice for relief please.

Scass
27-09-22, 21:40
Me! Not at the moment, but I do suffer.

Steam is one of your best friends here. Have hot baths or showers and breathe in the steam as it will help break up the mucus.
Also a hot flannel placed on your face - I would hold it over the sinuses and sometimes push down to get relief.
Olbas oil is great too.
Paracetamol will help briefly.
Lastly, the saline nose sprays are one of the best things to help unblock.

Feel better x

Scass
27-09-22, 21:41
Me! Not at the moment, but I do suffer.

Steam is one of your best friends here. Have hot baths or showers and breathe in the steam as it will help break up the mucus.
Also a hot flannel placed on your face - I would hold it over the sinuses and sometimes push down to get relief.
Olbas oil is great too.
Paracetamol will help briefly.
Lastly, the saline nose sprays are one of the best things to help unblock.

Feel better x

Oh and hot drinks too. Breathe in your chamomile tea steam to help clear the blockages.

Carnation
27-09-22, 22:29
Thanks Scass, that's real helpful x

NoraB
28-09-22, 06:56
Find the point between your eyebrows and press down firmly using your fingertips. This drains the sinuses. (Works for me)

Phill2
28-09-22, 07:25
Find the point between your eyebrows and press down firmly using your fingertips. This drains the sinuses. (Works for me)

Pressing the underside of your second toe also works.
It's something to do with Reiki.

Carnation
28-09-22, 10:09
Thanks nora and ankietyjoe. Both very useful tips.

ankietyjoe
28-09-22, 14:32
Thanks nora and ankietyjoe. Both very useful tips.

I didn't say anything :unsure:

I will now though!

I buy this saline spray when I need 'blockage' relief, which I much prefer to a medicated spray.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/St%C3%A9rimar-Sterimar-Nasal-Hygiene-50ml/dp/B017P1TBAQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=ZWVJJHMZ1HS8&keywords=saline+spray&qid=1664371850&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjc1IiwicXNhIjoiMy4xNCIsInFzcCI6IjM uMDMifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=saline+s%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTDAxNUIxQ0ZCSjlaJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDQ3MDYxRjFaOEpCSUFGNlNPJmVuY3J 5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxODQ4NzFGSjVJUktGQktQSEYmd2lkZ2V0T mFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3R Mb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I've also found that focusing on NOT mouth breathing tends to clear the sinuses out a bit. Even if you're bunged up, deliberately breathing through the nose sometimes kinda forces your body to clear it out for you.

Carnation
28-09-22, 18:12
Oh no! You didn't ankietyjoe, lol.
It was Phil2. Apologies Phil. :D

Now you have posted, thanks ankietyjoe for helpful advice.

glassgirlw
29-09-22, 03:15
Do you guys have the nasal sinus rinses over there? Like the Neti Pots? Those are life savers for me during allergy season

Phill2
29-09-22, 05:28
Oh no! You didn't ankietyjoe, lol.
It was Phil2. Apologies Phil. :D

Now you have posted, thanks ankietyjoe for helpful advice.

All good :yesyes:

Catkins
29-09-22, 06:24
Steam works for me and popping my ears, as soon as I start feeling congested I pop my ears.

NoraB
29-09-22, 08:42
I buy this saline spray when I need 'blockage' relief, which I much prefer to a medicated spray.

This doesn't work on me. (And the medicated stuff makes my heart race and gives me chest pain so I'm stuffed)

I've also found that focusing on NOT mouth breathing tends to clear the sinuses out a bit. Even if you're bunged up, deliberately breathing through the nose sometimes kinda forces your body to clear it out for you.

I do this thing where I close one nostril and breathe through the other one, and vice versa. My eyes bulge when I'm trying to breathe through the bunged up one but I do get there eventually. :roflmao:

Sinuses are playing up today. Grumpy teen has a cold and he's spread his germs to me. I don't get normal colds now (for some reason) I don't sneeze or have sore throats; I get pain all over my face and my ear blocks up. :huh:

I'M DEAFER THAN EVER!

Carnation
29-09-22, 09:15
I do the nostril breathing routine nora, it sounds like a tuning up of a brass band, lol. :roflmao:

ankietyjoe
29-09-22, 09:33
This doesn't work on me. (And the medicated stuff makes my heart race and gives me chest pain so I'm stuffed)

Have you tried 'really getting it up there'? Until it goes down the back of your throat? (nice....I know.....)

It's not the same squirt strategy as the medicated sprays. You have to pretend it's a line of naughty salt.

Fishmanpa
02-10-22, 17:14
As an allergy/sinus sufferer for my entire life, I can say I've been able to manage it reasonably well with OTC remedies. Both my wife and I take a generic Zyrtec daily and we have an OTC nasal spray for any flair ups as well as saline to moisturize during the dry times of winter. That and a box of tissues within arm's reach (Puffs with lotion are the best!) at all times. Also, I've found the breath right nose strips for sleep are wonderful!

FMP

MyNameIsTerry
02-10-22, 21:07
I'm getting a lovely image of the ladies on here. Sounds like a footie match.

Phill2
02-10-22, 23:20
I used to use the generic Zyrtec tablets but am too old now.
Not supposed to use them if you're over 65.

NoraB
03-10-22, 08:19
Have you tried 'really getting it up there'? Until it goes down the back of your throat? (nice....I know.....)

It's not the same squirt strategy as the medicated sprays. You have to pretend it's a line of naughty salt.

I have done, Joe. I snort the stuff until I feel it run down the back of my throat. :emot-puke:

I actually have this sinus issue all the time (one nostril is always blocked or stuffed up and the side varies). I do have some seasonal allergies, but I have fibromyalgia too and this condition means that the facial muscles can tighten up and affect the sinuses and functioning. I also have TMJ (I'm falling to chuffin' bits here tbh) so I have a few factors going on? I have a problem with steroid sprays (MCS) so they're out. The saline doesn't work, but the massaging does help to shift things about a bit. Other than this, it's heat treatment and pain medication. (Like this weekend when I had to sleep on my heat pad and take codeine because of the face ache) :weep:

Carnation
03-10-22, 11:32
Mine varies side to side as well.
I also get blocked ears.
I have to wear loose glasses and even a hat can set off head pain if its too tight.

NoraB
04-10-22, 08:29
Mine varies side to side as well.
I also get blocked ears.
I have to wear loose glasses and even a hat can set off head pain if its too tight.

Weirdly (or maybe not) only my left ear gets blocked.

I'm with you on the hats and things, Carn. (They always give me headaches)

Carnation
04-10-22, 10:17
Well my nose was streaming like a tap yesterday. (how can so much come out of a nose, lol). Woke up at 3am coughing from post nasal drip from laying on my left hand side and this morning I'm stuffed up again. :wacko:
It's mainly my left ear as well nora.

NoraB
04-10-22, 10:23
Well my nose was streaming like a tap yesterday. (how can so much come out of a nose, lol). Woke up at 3am coughing from post nasal drip from laying on my left hand side and this morning I'm stuffed up again. :wacko:
It's mainly my left ear as well nora.

Urgh. post-nasal drip, it does my head in!!!

MyNameIsTerry
04-10-22, 14:41
Urgh. post-nasal drip, it does my head in!!!

If there's one thing that gets right up my nose...:biggrin:

Whenever I have a cold one nostril is always the worst. Can't remember which, left sounds likely, but since my dad has just brought a cold into the house and very kindly shared it with me, I'll let you know. https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/rtfm/t2421.gif

NoraB
04-10-22, 14:52
https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/rtfm/t2421.gif[/IMG]

I'm blaming GT (Grumpy Teen) for mine. He's a walking germ at the mo...:scared15:

Had to cave and put the heating on. (This is after lecturing Mr Batty about not putting it on until there are icicles on the inside of the windows)

He moaned that he was cold in his t shirt :huh: so we braved the shops on Saturday to get him a dressing gown...

Like a dick, I let him choose his own while I stood outside with my ear buds in. (He came prancing out with a Darth Vadar one, two sizes too small) :whistles:

That said, he has been threatening to get a silk one with a dragon on the back sooooo, small mercies.. :yesyes:

Carnation
04-10-22, 21:20
Lol nora, your o/h and mine sound like they've come out of the same cast. Mr C bought a silk dressing gown from a charity shop which was a bit on the feminine side and far too short and tight. He calls it his smoking jacket (he doesn't smoke). And only a few days we ago he managed to slip a pair of pink trousers into the wardrobe that was another purchase from the local charity shop. He got a big "OH NO!" from me and I reminded him about the post affect of the orange pair. :blush:

Heating went on in my household too.
I'm Planning to make a casserole tomorrow so hopefully it will shift any nose blockages. Tissues on standby. :wacko:

MyNameIsTerry
04-10-22, 22:08
I'm definitely getting an image of Del Boy or maybe Ken Barlow :biggrin:

NoraB
05-10-22, 08:19
I'm definitely getting an image of Del Boy or maybe Ken Barlow :biggrin:

Mr Batty is six foot tall and a big lad in general. He's ex-army, ex-rugby, - both eras which I missed being wife number three... Wives one and two got army uniform and sweaty rugby tackles; I get a two-sizes too small Darth Vader dressing gown which doesn't meet in the middle, and I'm regularly being flashed. (I think this may be deliberate) :shrug:

Carnation
08-10-22, 11:25
Back on the sinuses issues, does anyone find it effect their eyes? For example, watery, itchy, sore, a bit blurry at times.

Fishmanpa
08-10-22, 12:30
Back on the sinuses issues, does anyone find it effect their eyes? For example, watery, itchy, sore, a bit blurry at times.

All the time. OTC drops really help.

FMP

Carnation
08-10-22, 13:43
Thanks FMP, that's helpful to know.

Carnation
01-12-22, 13:20
My sinuses are as bad as can be at the moment.
Blocked nose, blocked ear that occasionally pops or turns me deaf for a few seconds. Pains in the top of my head, above the eyes and nose. Sinus drainage in the night which leads to coughing. Feeling a bit fluey.
I was wondering whether leaving a window slightly open during the night might help?

MyNameIsTerry
02-12-22, 00:11
Healthcare Analytics Market – VC/PE investments and digital health
The global Healthcare Analytics market (https://meditechinsights.com/healthcare-analytics-market/) is expected to grow at a CAGR of >20% to cross $70 billion by 2025 driven by rising VC/PE investments, accelerating adoption of digital health after Covid, increasing complexity and volumes of data, and supporting government initiatives.

Explore Premium Report Healthcare Analytics Market on @ https://meditechinsights.com/healthcare-analytics-market/

I think Carn wants something she can shove up her nose, not her (or rather yours) back side :lac:

MyNameIsTerry
02-12-22, 00:12
Get the steam up your nose Carn. Warm salt water for the throat too.

Hope it passes quickly :hugs:

Catkins
02-12-22, 07:44
I love olbas oil, currently using the inhaler - seems to be helpful.

Scass
02-12-22, 19:54
Steam, olbas oil and spray mist, you could use the sea salt one up your nose? It’s really good x

Carnation
03-12-22, 08:09
Thank you all for your tips and advice. This particular time it's turned out to be flu!!!

Catkins
03-12-22, 17:12
Oh hell! Hope you recover quickly Carnation.

Carnation
03-12-22, 21:29
Thanks catkins. x

Lencoboy
06-12-22, 09:00
Wishing you a speedy recovery Catkins.

Me and my dad both feel a bit ropey ATM, even though we both had the flu jab around mid-November, and the latest Covid jab in October, though of course, neither can really guarantee absolute protection against the viruses, especially as said vaccines are almost always based on previous 'variants' of both flu and Covid, respectively.

Carnation
06-12-22, 10:44
Thanks lencoboy, much appreciated x

Carnation
30-11-23, 10:42
I'm resurrecting this thread because it seems to be an issue with so many.
Does anyone do facial massaging? There's a lot of videos on the Internet to follow.
I also find some relief if I go outside.

Lencoboy
30-11-23, 17:32
While obviously uncomfortable and a bit of a nuisance for you, remember you survived all this OK last year, and I'm sure you will again this year.

Carnation
04-12-23, 09:20
Thanks lencoboy.

Carnation
04-12-23, 09:35
I'm not sure if this is related...
The last few days I have been spitting blood first thing in the morning. I feel something is in my throat I need to clear, have a gentle cough and there it is. First it was a few spots of pink blood and now its stringy with phlegm but darker colour and now today it's more darker and watery almost a brown tinge. It only happens in the morning or if I wake up during the night. I did have quite an aggressive cough for quite a while previous to this but that seems to have lessened into just the occasional few coughs here and there. I'm assuming it's all related to my sinuses and the aggressive coughing and irritated throat. I can't detect any blood coming from my gums as such.
I've got to say it makes me nervous having this blood situation and wonder if it comes from my chest, but as my breathing seems ok and I feel generally ok apart from the sinuses, I'm inclined to think it's that.
Anyone else have the blood situation with sinuses?

Lencoboy
04-12-23, 14:22
I'm not sure if this is related...
The last few days I have been spitting blood first thing in the morning. I feel something is in my throat I need to clear, have a gentle cough and there it is. First it was a few spots of pink blood and now its stringy with phlegm but darker colour and now today it's more darker and watery almost a brown tinge. It only happens in the morning or if I wake up during the night. I did have quite an aggressive cough for quite a while previous to this but that seems to have lessened into just the occasional few coughs here and there. I'm assuming it's all related to my sinuses and the aggressive coughing and irritated throat. I can't detect any blood coming from my gums as such.
I've got to say it makes me nervous having this blood situation and wonder if it comes from my chest, but as my breathing seems ok and I feel generally ok apart from the sinuses, I'm inclined to think it's that.

Me and my dad have both had bad colds these past few days, complete with feeling sinusy, but nothing really out of the ordinary.

Fishmanpa
04-12-23, 14:48

Over the last couple of years I've been getting random nose bleeds. Some of them quite bad with blood literally flowing out of my nose. I've also had similar symptoms upon waking with spotty blood in mucous when I cough. I spoke to my doctor and he didn't see anything and attributed it to dryness/irritation from my allergies. In addition to the OTC remedies I mentioned earlier in the thread, we have humidifiers for the drier times in the year and it really helps.

FMP

Carnation
04-12-23, 15:11
A lot of going around lencoboy :hugs:

Thanks FMP, that's helpful.
I'll try the humidifier. It's been particularly cold lately and all heating been going constant.
I normally have a window or two open during the day but it temperature has been around 2-3c so they've stayed closed.
I know I have allergies and my throat and nose gets it. My eyes as well sometimes. It's a difficult thing to control because there's always dust somewhere or particles in the air from something. My throat gets irritated and I get those continuous sneezes. Both make me cough. And at night I get the post nasal drip and that wakes me up, more coughing! It doesn't seem to go away, just different degrees of it. It's awful. Thanks for your reply.

Sparkling_Fairy
04-12-23, 17:48
I don't currently have issues with my sinuses, strangely enough with the cold weather! But I do suffer from an awfully dry nose a lot of the time. Waking up in the middle of the night to the whistling of my own nose!!! I rub a lot of Vicks vaporub under my nose to help me breathe at night. I go through weeks of it, and then it's gone.
I do also often get a bit of blood coming out of my nose when I blow my nose, just pure from dryness. I can imagine that you swallow some of that when you're sleeping, and that's what you're coughing up in the morning. I'd say give it a few weeks and see how it goes. It doesn't sound like anything sinister to me

Carnation
04-12-23, 17:58
Thanks sparkling fairy x
I appreciate you replying.
You know how health anxiety is, lol.
I'm a bit nervous about tonight's sleep, but I suppose it is what it is. I've had a rare nap this afternoon and I woke coughing so I think post nasal drip is definitely in play.

Fishmanpa
04-12-23, 18:41
Thanks FMP, that's helpful. I'll try the humidifier. It's been particularly cold lately and all heating been going constant.

We have two. One upstairs and downstairs. We have the cool mist versions as opposed to the warm mist versions. Usually the tank will last 24 hours or so if they're running a lot. We've had an especially dry year and have been running them as needed all year. They have sensors to detect the moisture and work automatically too. We have a humidity and temp gauge in the living room and will turn them on when the the humidity in the house gets to the low normal range (50-60%). They've really made a difference in both my wife's and my sinuses. I still am perpetually with a tissue nearby but the dryness symptoms have abated. I think you'd notice an improvement with in 24-48 hours.

FMP

YoullNeverWalkAlone
04-12-23, 19:00
Hi Carnation,
As you know I have suffered from this a long time too, but been thinking, it might not be all sinus related but acid, or silent reflux, I went to the doctor a long time ago with same problem and she told me I had silent reflux, I had lots of catarrh in nose and throat, croaky voice, irritated throat , horrible taste in mouth and sometimes an ache at Bottom of breastbone, it lasted months, she also said silent reflux can cause all the above symptoms and more, including affecting your ears and sinuses, wheezing in your throat when lying down, one symptom can lead to another like a domino affect.

So maybe your problem isn’t just sinus but acid too as I know you suffer from that as well and acid can certainly make you cough, I woke at 6 this morning coughing and couldn’t get back to sleep again...

Also Anxiety is a big culprit for causing acid and the anxiety with me as been high for a long time now, not constantly but always there in the background.

I understand why your worried but you have had it a long time like me, so nothing to worry about Carnation, but health anxiety never fails to torment us...

You will be absolutely fine Carnation :bighug1:

Carnation
04-12-23, 19:15
Yes! To all that YNWA. I've got all those symptoms. Not always together but this week it's been bad.
It's not enough to send one to bed but it's enough to make you feel off and fed-up.
I've done a salt wash today. I'm a great believer in that.
Thanks for replying xxx

And I'll get on to those humidifiers FMP.

Catkins
04-12-23, 19:16
I agree Carnation give it a bit of time and it'll probably settle down. I seem to be having a run of colds so far this past few weeks and the cough is a real pain in the bum. I think I'll up my zinc intake.

Carnation
04-12-23, 20:10
Thanks catkins x
Do you take zinc supplements or food related?

Scass
05-12-23, 06:03
It sounds like you just could have damaged your airway a bit from coughing but that it’s healing.
I have terrible acid reflux at the moment. For me it’s my 2nd bad flare and it’s awful.

For my daughter’s dust allergy I have an air purifier running in her room overnight, it’s amazing and maybe something for you to look into C x

Catkins
05-12-23, 06:31
Supplements Carnation. I take a few different ones, magnesium, vitamin D, omega 3 and a couple of others. Coincidentally the colds coincided with me reducing the dose, that might be telling me something.

Carnation
05-12-23, 08:51
Thanks Scass x
Has something in particular kicked off your acid reflux?
I find apple cider vinegar quite good.

Carnation
05-12-23, 08:53
Catkins, I'll look in to supplements as well. x
There seems to be a lot of colds circulating at the moment.

Scass
05-12-23, 16:12
Thanks Scass x
Has something in particular kicked off your acid reflux?
I find apple cider vinegar quite good.

I’ve been so stressed & I think that’s caused my flare up. Thank you xx

Lencoboy
07-12-23, 09:59
Me and my dad have both had a seemingly endless flu-like virus for over a week now and don't seem to be able to shake it off. Our sinuses have been completely up the creek and no meds seem to be working against said virus.

We both did a LFT yesterday and tested negative for Covid though.

Carnation
07-12-23, 14:19
I hope you feel better soon Scass :hugs:

Lencoboy, it might be the central heating contributing to the sinuses. I try to get out for some good old fashioned air.

Fishmanpa
07-12-23, 18:15
Me and my dad have both had a seemingly endless flu-like virus for over a week now and don't seem to be able to shake it off. Our sinuses have been completely up the creek and no meds seem to be working against said virus.

We both did a LFT yesterday and tested negative for Covid though.

Yeah, there's quite a few winter viruses going around now. I had a stomach bug that hung around for over a month and my wife came down with something a couple of weeks ago. She was feeling so bad I ended up taking her to urgent care. They tested for flu and covid and she was negative. They said there's a nasty cold virus going around and I'm quite sure it's not limited to the US. She just did OTC day & night cold meds as well as Mucinex for the cough and chest congestion and it helped. Took about two weeks for the symptoms to subside and thankfully, I didn't get it from her.

As I suggested to Carnation, if you have forced air heat, I recommend a cool mist humidifier. Where we're at we've had drought conditions for the last 6 months. In fact, our town has been on a water restriction for most of that time. The humidifier really does help. Definitely worth it!

FMP

Lencoboy
08-12-23, 08:52
I hope you feel better soon Scass :hugs:

Lencoboy, it might be the central heating contributing to the sinuses. I try to get out for some good old fashioned air.

You could be correct there Carnation. Whenever me and my dad go out I often start to feel a little better, though I do have a feeling that both of us might now already be over the worst of our flu virus.

As Fishmanpa mentioned, there seems to be a plethora of seasonal bugs and viruses around right now and I reckon it's largely because this is the first proper post-pandemic festive season where most people are now generally feeling more confident about attending gatherings and the like for the first time since 2019. Even this time last year (2022) many people still remained rather jittery about Covid and the like, despite the fact that we had already seemingly reached peak pandemic with early Omicrons about a year or so earlier.

Carnation
08-12-23, 09:11
The reason I mentioned the central heating is because Mr C is having sinus issues too. His voice goes croaky and he feels blocked up.

I think I might also have an allergy to cat litter. You know the dust that rises in the air as you fill up the tray. It often settles on the nearby cupboard and gets on to the carpet which I sweep up with a pan several times a day.

Lencoboy
08-12-23, 09:45
I think I might also have an allergy to cat litter. You know the dust that rises in the air as you fill up the tray. It often settles on the nearby cupboard and gets on to the carpet which I sweep up with a pan several times a day.

Horrible, horrible things!

Don't get me wrong; I don't hate cats, and I know they have to go to the toilet somewhere, but cat litter trays have always creeped me out and made me heave, especially when full of dung.

Kind of makes me appreciate the advent of plumbed-in toilets for us humans where we can conveniently flush away what we have just done instantaneously.

Anglo
12-12-23, 19:31
I'm grateful this thread was revived because I can't tell if I have a cold or flu at the moment myself. How have you lot been able to differentiate between the two?

YoullNeverWalkAlone
12-12-23, 20:07
Hi Anglo....

If you saw a £50 note on the floor would you pick it up....if the answer is Yes you have a cold because with Flu you’d be to ill to even care about it.

You wouldn’t even be on this forum able to ask questions, you’d be in bed...Flu floors you...

prople often say they have Flu but what they do have is a bad cold, there’s a BIG difference

Believe me if you had flu, you’d know about it...

hope that helps x

Anglo
12-12-23, 20:14
I'd pick up a quid mate so that answers that. Thanks a lot for your reply and reassurance.

I think I just have a head cold then. My neck is achy and hurts, I have a headache, my jaw/teeth hurt a bit, my nose is blocked but runny (I've always wondered how that works?), I feel drained and like crap but I still have the energy to move around and do the odd thing. It all makes me anxious, but this "dopy" feeling also makes me feel anxious - I kind of feel a bit not with it, a bit stupid, not quite as "in tune". That's the best way I can describe it.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
12-12-23, 20:34
Your Welcome Anglo.....

You sounds like you have a heavy head cold, I understand what your trying to describe, paracetamol for the aches and pains, or a lemsip if you like them, but NOT both as lemsip contain paracetamol...rest when you can and don’t over do things, keep warm, have a steamy bath or shower to unblock your nose a little or try olbas oil and sniff that to help with congestion, plenty of fluids and eat when you feel like it, apart from that there’s not a lot more you can do, just let your body heal itself xx

Anglo
12-12-23, 20:37
I really appreciate it, thank you.

Gone are the times when I could go "gah, I feel a bit crap" and get on with things. I envy child me where I'd get sick a lot (and sometimes quite unwell) but not worry about it at all, whereas now even an ache in a weird place can send my mind racing.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
12-12-23, 20:48
I know exactly what you mean Anglo, I can be the same and have been on many occasions.
You might feel yuk for a few days but I promise you, you will be absolutely fine.
A bit of TLC and pampering is called for, don’t you think xx

Carnation
12-12-23, 22:11
You can have cold like symptoms with sinuses.

Anglo
12-12-23, 23:49
What do you mean "with sinuses"? :)

Carnation
13-12-23, 01:03
Well this thread is about sinus issues.
I get the runny nose, streaming eyes, head pain, blocked ears, coughing, sore throat, wheezing sometimes and feeling hot and cold.

Peter A
13-12-23, 07:14
In the summer, I absolutely suffer from hay fever, and the hot weather always brings forth a 'pollen bomb' in June. And this will persist until the middle of July, when the grass pollen count reduces.

Carnation
13-12-23, 11:16
Me too Peter

Peter A
13-12-23, 12:34
I tend to catch two colds a year. One in March, and the other in the summertime. While colds are considered not to be too serious, they do cause much discomfort.

The last one I got knocked me for ten. I felt like I needed to call a taxi just to take me to the bathroom.

Anglo
13-12-23, 14:29
That makes sense. I only got an hour and a half of sleep last night because I was so uncomfortable, sniffly and congested.

Fingers crossed for proper sleep tonight!

Carnation
12-01-24, 10:11
Struggle with the sinuses. I didn't get much sleep with the constant coughing, post nasal drip, wheezing, and generally feeling stuffed up. It seems to be at its worst at nighttime. I'm waking up constantly and it's most nights. Feel shattered and it's constant. I've had this now since November. Also the coughing is making me rush to the loo to pee. I'm not taking anything but really don't know if there's anything to take for this. Something is affecting this, even Mr C has it mildly. He gets the gruff voice and snuffles. I can only think of the central heating because we are both much better when we go outside.

MyNameIsTerry
13-01-24, 11:25
Sorry to hear this is still bothering you, Carn. Long term problems can get on top of you very easily and grind you down.

So if it's the central heating does it lessen once you turn it off? Do certain rooms feel worse than others? What about ventilation? Does turning down the degree of heat change how it affects you?

Central heating can worsen sinusitis, asthma, COPD, etc so it makes sense the dry air and circulation of dust (radiators cause that, electric ones dont) could be the culprit.

I bet you feel like you are in a room you've just painted with gloss.

Fishmanpa
13-01-24, 12:10
Have you tried a humidifier yet? If not, you may want to. Perhaps, based on how your sinuses are affecting you, try a warm air/mist version, especially being winter. I remember as a child having one of those in my room when I had a cold and my mom putting Vicks Vapo Rub under my nose and on my chest. She would put a dab on the vaporizer as well to get those vapo rub fumes into the air in the room. You can also try Sudafed and it has the added bonus of helping you fall asleep. Back during treatment, I had some severe insomnia. They gave me Ambien but I had a bad experience with it so they said to try Sudafed. We've kept it around since then and it really does help.

FMP

Carnation
13-01-24, 12:43
Thank you Terry and FMP.
Some helpful tips there.

FMP, I've tried the humidifiers but although helps a bit, it doesn't solve the issue. I'm a great fan of vicks though.
I'll also give sudafed a try.

Terry, we have the windows on a latch (let's about an inch of air through in all rooms.
I do think the gas central heating is the root cause and you are right about the dust. When we just use our portable electric heaters it is much better. Unfortunately we need heat in the bathroom, so we are using a mixture of the two. Getting air helps, weather permitting.
But it does seem like an ongoing issue for me.

Carnation
21-01-24, 14:02
Anyone get there ears hurting and feeling hot?
I also had a minor nosebleed when I sneezed. I presume that's from irritation.

Carnation
07-02-24, 20:01
My gums are giving me hell and setting my teeth on edge. Sinus symptom?

MyNameIsTerry
08-02-24, 00:34
Could be stress, Carn. I've sometimes had short periods where my teeth ache and feel coated because my gums are irritated.

The nerves run down the face and around the mouth and nose so it seems possible there is a connection.

Carnation
08-02-24, 09:30
I wondered that too Terry.
That for your reply.

ErinKC
08-02-24, 14:09
I haven’t read though all of the thread, but have you tried a daily allergy pill? My allergies have been terrible in my house this winter, which is weird for me. But I’ve been home a lot more the last few months and think, like you’ve said, it could be the heat. Our central heating is also crummy so we run a lot of space heaters, which likely only further circulates dust and dries out the air. I’ve had to take Zyrtec most days the last few weeks or I’m sniffling and sneezing. It’s helped a lot. That plus drinking a ton of extra water.

Carnation
08-02-24, 15:41
I haven't tried an allergy pill Erin. Not yet.
I have managed to clean a lot of gunk out of the radiators though. Jeez, the dust that came out. No wonder the central heating affects me, blowing all that into the atmosphere.

MyNameIsTerry
08-02-24, 17:45
Well if nothing else your gas bill will be slightly cheaper. That fluff prevents them working fully.

Carnation
08-02-24, 19:17
Well that's good Terry :yesyes:

Lencoboy
09-02-24, 09:24
Apparently pollen counts have actually been higher over recent days; yes even in winter, believe it or not!

Both me and my dad have been affected ourselves.

My dad reckons that pollen in winter has no doubt always been a thing; just that we probably weren't really aware of it in the past, obviously due to lesser surveillance systems in place, unlike today.

But then that can also apply to a lot of other things of course.

Carnation
09-02-24, 11:04
Funny you should say that. I went into a florist a couple of days ago and my nose started streaming. They had very little flowers for the time of year, mainly plants.

Lencoboy
09-02-24, 17:47
Funny you should say that. I went into a florist a couple of days ago and my nose started streaming. They had very little flowers for the time of year, mainly plants.

I think over the past 20-odd years or so we've become more hypervigilant towards a lot of things that somehow previously passed unnoticed; mainly due to lesser, or sometimes even virtually non-existent awareness.

I think this hypervigilance thing (obviously due largely to increased awareness) can be a bit of a vicious circle, and inadvertently lead to psychosomatic symptoms in some people. In a nutshell, a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.

I posted a thread on here before Christmas stating that I was wondering as to whether or not many illnesses are actually more prevalent today than ever before, or whether a lot of it is down to more information and greater awareness in general, especially with the Internet and 24/7 rolling media.

Also (for better or worse), I don't think that people discussed their personal ailments quite as openly with all and sundry as much in the past, and tended to keep such matters more private.

Carnation
31-03-24, 10:02
Gunk in the eyes.
Like a watery film,sometimes streaming. Horrible!