PDA

View Full Version : Brown period blood

BlueIris
19-10-22, 12:53
Not panicking, but a bit on edge.

Most people reading this will probably know the details for me - 45 and (presumably) right at the start of perimenopause.

Period was a week late this month, it started out very heavy on Saturday but dwindled more quickly than usual, and now it's turned brown.

Dr. Google reckons this is no big deal, sane me reckons this is no big deal, slightly-less-sane me is already on edge from work insanity, has a migraine and would just like to hear it from somebody else.

.Poppy.
19-10-22, 14:41
If it's not normal for you, I'd probably take a note of it, see if it happens again, and ask your doc at your next yearly exam.

Brown blood is usually just old blood, so it's really common for it to be more brown near the end of the cycle, or even at the beginning sometimes. Mine is always brown the last day or so.

I hope you get to feeling better, Blue! Hope you can get some rest for your head.

BlueIris
19-10-22, 15:01
That's what I thought, Poppy, also I took my mooncup out earlier than usual this month so I've JUST realised this is stuff I'm used to seeing inside the cup rather than on the paper.

Carnation
19-10-22, 18:05
I don't think it's anything to be concerned about BlueIris.

Catkins
19-10-22, 18:33
When I had periods it was always brown at the end and even though I've got a Mirema coil and generally didn't have periods for years the one random one I got (due to perimenopause) was just a splurge of brown. I would say it's fine.

BlueIris
19-10-22, 19:03
Thanks, helps to hear.

NoraB
20-10-22, 08:20
Nowt to worry about, Blue.

However, if this kind of thing happens post-menopause, then that is cause for concern and should always be checked out.

BlueIris
20-10-22, 08:27
Yep, I knew that much - any post-menopausal bleeding always needs to be checked out. Got a while before I need to worry on that count, though.

Carys
20-10-22, 09:45
As above - no big deal at all, or infact any deal lol - just slow movement of blood and having time to oxidise before exiting. Had this many times, and at times even had it before, in the middle and at the end of the period for days. Hormones doing subtle changes, thats all. Be ready for ANY erratic changes you've probably not even imagined in the coming few years ;)

BlueIris
20-10-22, 09:50
Thought as much, Carys. I think this time the changes may actually be starting for real.

Thanks for the reassurance, all.