PDA

View Full Version : Temperature and raised pulse - i'm losing my mind!

LuSmith
23-10-22, 16:11
Hey... I guess I'm going through a current health anxiety spike due to some symptoms randomly showing up, I have a mild skin infection that I'm now on antibiotics for and I also had a suspected UTI but the culture came back clear.
The other day I ended up in the urgent care because I was feeling really unwell, high temperature (39.7), nausea, light-headedness, abdominal pain, persistent urethral pain and urinary frequency (for 2 weeks), among a couple other things. They took some blood, tested my urine, which came back like it was potentially a mild infection. The blood tests showed no raised CRP or anything, which made them less worried. Then the next day I felt really awful, and spoke to the urgent health 111 to report my temperature still being high, nausea, dizziness, feeling unwell and out of it as well as the urine problems. They told me to start the antibiotics prescribed initially from the hospital so I did. The next day I went to my general GP as I wanted to get some "women related problems" sorted. I also didn't feel great and started crying, to which he took my temperature (37.6), said my pulse was a little high (110bpm) and said my urine culture was clear and to stop the antibiotic. He told me to start a different antibiotic for my skin problem (infective dermatitis) which I have started since. He then told me to go to an STI clinic (despite not having any sexual contact for years) because he couldn't do anything about the problem below. This obviously concerns me a bit because of monkeypox etc.

Weirdly my urine symptoms calmed down a bit after starting the antibiotic for the UTI. so I started panicking about the prospect of things going really wrong (like sepsis or something) in case the culture just didn't pick it up and the bacteria would get resistant. I generally find my UTI bacteria (I get them recurrently) tends to be strep instead of e'coli sadly, so normally d-mannose and things probably wouldn't help but since then I've been taking it anyway (with added cranberry extract) just to try and see if it will keep things at bay.

Today I was feeling a bit better and then I went to the toilet and my bowels have been a bit troublesome (probably because of the meds). I decided to check my heart rate as I was feeling hot and generally a bit weird. I found my heart rate was spiking at 120bpm again, which caused me to go into a full blown panic especially since my head felt hot. I didn't check my temperature as I knew that would also set my anxiety racing again. I sat and tried to calm down and my bf told me to take deep breaths but my heart rate was still around 90bpm. I've not checked since but it's been an hour and I feel a bit calmer.

When I spoke to a pharmacist yesterday they said it was probably best to see someone if I keep getting high temperatures because maybe there's something amiss. So I've been really fixated on it and worrying about it since. I guess it didn't help I was paranoid that the UTI bacteria would suddenly develop into something serious also, and I was panicking about my skin infection. The pharmacist said it was unlikely to cause any resistance issues after only 2 doses, but I still worry about this kind of thing. Also just in case the UTI was actually still present and will get resistant.

Unrelated but I'm also a bit paranoid as my Serum ALT back in Feb was really high at 33 U/L but I was given no explanation and my APTT ratio (clotting screen) has always been at the high end of 1.2 which is slightly abnormal. My haematocrit in my full blood results is also slightly on the low side but despite these abnormal results nobody bothers to tell me anything.

Anyway, I guess I went off on a whim a bit. Has anyone randomly got high temperatures for no reason and it just been nothing to worry about? Is the fact the CRP was fine in the hospital a good indication or could it have just missed something? Is a raised pulse sometimes normal at 120bpm after moving around the home a bit?