PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with night-time health panic attack. Any tips?

Coppernob
25-10-22, 12:18
This has happened to me so many times over the years, but I thought I had learnt to deal with it now (I'm on a low maintenance dose of mirtazapine and pregabalin which normally keeps me fairly level). But I've just got my proverbial knickers in a complete twist, I'm sure it's to do with all the radio advertising about 'red flag' symptoms that has triggered my panics. If I don't sleep I feel lousy, and I'm waking in the early hours, going into a panic within seconds, and then my stomach clenches, I get windy and can't get back to sleep. Deep breathing does no good, if anything it makes me worse, getting up wakes me up further and reduces the chances of me ever getting back to sleep.

Last night, just before bed, I was stupid enough to read a health question and answer page just before bed, and read dire warnings about bowel cancer that just sent me into a complete spin, even though the symptom described doesn't apply to me! But in the early hours of course I was sure there was something wrong with me.

If anyone has any getting back to sleep tips, I'd love to hear them!

NoraB
26-10-22, 15:52
Deep breathing does no good, if anything it makes me worse, getting up wakes me up further and reduces the chances of me ever getting back to sleep.

You mustn't be breathing properly because abdominal breathing actively turns off the fight or flight response.

Regards getting up, you have the choice to stay in situ and breathe yourself out of the PA, or you can get up and burn the adrenalin off.

Last night, just before bed, I was stupid enough to read a health question and answer page just before bed, and read dire warnings about bowel cancer that just sent me into a complete spin, even though the symptom described doesn't apply to me! But in the early hours of course I was sure there was something wrong with me.

It's ever likely you had a panic attack. Pre-beddy byes viewing should be cats being cute videos on YouTube, ASMR, light comedy etc, not reading about bowel cancer!

If anyone has any getting back to sleep tips, I'd love to hear them!

Learn to box breathe. Find the ratio which works for you and do it as many times as it takes for your heart to slow down.

Use visualisation. (I take my mind to a nice beach in North Wales)

Move. (Go and do some light cleaning, sort out a drawer - anything, just move)

P.S, peppermint tea is good for helping to rift the wind. :yesyes:

Coppernob
26-10-22, 19:21
Thanks for the advice NoraB, I will take it on board. I've had HA for years so you'd think I'd have all the strategies off by heart, but things change as you get older and nothing works in the same way! Incidentally, I had thought the Saga magazine was a safe bet for evening reading - caught me by surprise! I have peppermint tea but can never be bothered to get up and make it.

Many thanks for replying.