PDA

View Full Version : Lump in upper thigh?!

LuSmith
27-10-22, 18:56
I went to the doctor around July or so because I was having some annoying leg cramp in my upper thigh, but was also worried that I had some veins that were quite noticeable under the skin. However, although he seemed not worried at the appointment, he said he'd send me for an ultrasound and didn't mention anything else.
On the referral form I recently noticed it says "diffused lump, fixed, not tender" and I had no idea there was apparently a diffused lump?! Now I'm terrified I'm gonna get some kind of bad news.
The ultrasound appointment has taken a while to come, but I have it booked in for Saturday.
I don't know what to expect and am already diagnosing myself as well with the worst case outcome.. most fixed lumps (idk what diffused means) generally end up being bad so my mind is just jumping to the worst conclusion :weep:

ServerError
28-10-22, 13:35
The way I look at it, doctors check lumps out all the time, and most turn out to be nothing. I wouldn't put too much stock in it being "fixed" - it's a medical term you're not qualified to properly interpret.

ShaunRyder
31-10-22, 16:58
I have a lump in my neck which was sent for an ultrasound, turned out to just be a cyst. But I was copied in on the letters that were being sent from the GP and Hospital and some of the words sent my HA into a huge frenzy, turns out they didn't mean anything bad, just medical terms that they use.

I also believe any kind of lump no matter how long you have had it, they have to send for checks, this does mean that they are worried though.

Scaredtoo
02-11-22, 11:07
When I had my lump (which turned out to be a lipoma) about a year ago my ortho wanted an ultrasound. On the form it said “mass”.

I swear to you I panicked and literally lived like I was dying for a week straight. Doctors use medically specific terms that don’t mean a whole lot to us. It’s just their way of documenting things. Medical terms. Most often we aren’t qualified to interpret those terms.

thebluerecluse
28-05-23, 02:30
Hi Lu,

Think I might have a similar lump although haven't been to the GP yet - booked for tomorrow. Did your ultrasound end up revealing anything?