PDA

View Full Version : Swallowing

Paul84
28-10-22, 09:26
Good morning all,

I'm slowly getting through a period of anxiety in which I've worried about a post-covid cough, Acid Reflux, burping and now I've decided to throw a new concern into the mix...

Swallowing.

I read that swallowing, like breathing and blinking, is an involuntary action. However, I am very aware when I swallow and its like, I'm choosing to swallow myself.

I read that we're meant to swallow once a minute when not eating, but I honestly don't know if I do, so I'm now very conscious of this.

I've had the typical anxiety throat and neck issues, globus etc...now this sprung into my mind yesterday.

The swallowing itself is fine, eating and drinking is fine also, but I'm now focusing on it and I don't know what's normal anymore... I've had post nasal drip on and off since Covid so things are a little thicker back there.

Anyone else out there experienced similar? Is this likely because I'm hyper aware and hyper focused on everything going on in my body?

Honestly, I was starting to come around so it's like self-sabotage at this point.

Carnation
28-10-22, 10:28
What you describe can be a classic anxiety symptom.
It's because you are super aware of your functions which normally come naturally. You start to question something which you wouldn't normally even think about. Instead of just eating or drinking you focus on the task and question what is normal function. The more you focus on it, the more aware you will become. It helps to do something else while eating or drinking like reading or watching TV until you stop focusing so intensely.

Paul84
28-10-22, 10:40
What you describe can be a classic anxiety symptom.
It's because you are super aware of your functions which normally come naturally. You start to question something which you wouldn't normally even think about. Instead of just eating or drinking you focus on the task and question what is normal function. The more you focus on it, the more aware you will become. It helps to do something else while eating or drinking like reading or watching TV until you stop focusing so intensely.

As always, thank you Carnation. I'm tired of the whole things to be honest.

I've spent the week, counting how many times I burp in a day, worrying about each one - I almost started a thread about this.

Concerned that I've had silent reflux forever without realising and now I'm doomed.

I've spent today worrying about swallowing... pretty sure I can go a couple of minutes without swallowing if I'm concentrating on something. I'm eating and drinking perfectly fine.

Believe it or not, I was starting to feel normalish again.

Carnation
28-10-22, 11:06
One issue can lead to another when you become super sensitve which can lead to scrutinising literally everything about yourself. It's because you want to feel normal that causes this super awareness. So what if you burp or fart, it's actually normal. Haven't you ever laughed when one comes out of the blue? You need to apply this reaction now. This will tell your brain there is nothing to worry about. And eventually you will not be bothered by the workings of the body. Your body is amazing at dealing with anything. You don't need to question the whys and wherefores.

Paul84
28-10-22, 11:27
Thank you. 7 weeks ago, burping wasn't a concern for me.
I think I got myself into a tiz over reflux, another thing I had never worried about.
Now, I'm onto the swallowing.
I have it in my head that I've condemned myself because I've been negligent.
I can't get any information online without tripping over the C word.

Carnation
28-10-22, 11:33
Googling will send you down a rabbit hole Paul. Unknowingly while you seek explanations you are sending yourself into a pit of doom. Use that time better spent. I'm sure there's loads of things that you could do which is far more beneficial. Don't let curiosity get the better of you. Stick two fingers up at the red devil.

Paul84
28-10-22, 13:47
I will do my best. Thank you

Roxroxrox
10-02-24, 23:25
How are you doing now?