PDA

View Full Version : MRI for throat issues

doireallyneedaname
28-10-22, 16:56
I’m really struggling at the moment. I’ve a 2 year old little boy and suffer with anxiety, which has presented as health anxiety over the last few years.

A few months ago I felt what seemed like a swollen lymph node in my mid neck. GP said it didn’t feel sinister but as it had been there longer than 2 weeks, I was referred to ENT. Had a camera down the nose and throat and told all normal, but will refer for an ultrasound on the node for peace of mind.

Had the ultrasound and was told at the time all normal. Apparently what I was feeling was a lymph node of normal size. I left feeling somewhat reassured but still concerned as to how I could suddenly feel this lymph node, since I couldn’t before.

Had my follow up with ENT, again told all normal but will book an MRI. This shocked me.

After requesting my notes, it transpires that whilst everything the sonographer saw was normal, they couldn’t see absolutely everything due to the angles and my bone etc, as such they suggested an MRI.

I feel really scared and depressed. I was told everything was normal and actually, they didn’t know that yet.

I spoke to radiology who said as the scan requested the whole neck, not just my lump, and they couldn’t see everything, it needs an MRI.

ENT noted that he feels reassured and would be surprised if anything or concern showed up but I do tend to catastrophise and am feeling awful.

Has anyone else had an MRI following ultrasound that turned out to be nothing? The only positive is that it doesn’t seem to have grown, and my symptoms haven’t changed in the three months since it started. I am hopeful that’s a good sign.

I’m also scared of the contract for the MRI.

Flapj
28-10-22, 21:54
1. It's very likely nothing. Did you ask the doctor why he ordered the MRI? (Reassuring you vs. he thought there was something suspicious)
2. Have you had any other symptoms?
3. You can advise the tech you refuse the contrast and they will only do the non-contrast MRI. You might want to check with your doctor about this.

doireallyneedaname
30-10-22, 17:28
1. It's very likely nothing. Did you ask the doctor why he ordered the MRI? (Reassuring you vs. he thought there was something suspicious)
2. Have you had any other symptoms?
3. You can advise the tech you refuse the contrast and they will only do the non-contrast MRI. You might want to check with your doctor about this.

Thanks for the reply.

The ENT has said he would be surprised if anything of concern is found. The MRI has been ordered because the ultrasound could not see the area clearly, due to shadowing from my jaw.

I have no other symptoms other than excess mucus in my throat and I can feel it more on the right tonsil area, but the ENT did a scope and physical / visual examination and said it looks normal.

ServerError
30-10-22, 17:49
The fact that the doctors keep saying things like "everything looks normal" and "I'd be surprised if anything is found" is a good sign. Usually, if something serious is wrong, there are signs or little indicators that will look off to a doctor. So far the doctors don't seem to be too worried about you. I know it's hard but I would suggest you try to relax, see these investigations through to the point at which the doctors tell you that's the end of it all, and then move on.

Scaredtoo
02-11-22, 11:12
Totally understand where you are coming from and would be the same. My advice is to focus on the doctors saying they aren’t too concerned. They are being thorough which in my opinion is good medical care. Get the contrast because if you don’t you’re going to say oh but I didn’t get the contrast so they didn’t see everything. The contrast will help them see around bones etc that they can’t see. Deep breaths. Focus on the good they are saying. Keep us posted

MarkyMark88
08-11-22, 19:23
I've had an normal ultrasound for my liver and ended up having a follow up MRI on my whole abdomen that looked at my kidneys, liver and pancreas. All came back normal. Ultrasounds can only see so much. Probably why they do it that way.