PDA

View Full Version : Long haul flight in two days. Terrified.

Cutecat25
28-10-22, 20:54
Hi,
I am going to the UK and Scandanavia in two days from Australia. It will be 24 hrs travelling, including a 13 hr flight and 7 hr flight.
I have flown long haul before by myself with anxiety a few times and although I was incredibly anxious I made it.
This time though I have a new found fear of turbulence, this fear developed earlier in the year due to a turbulent flight I was on, now anytime I fly I spend the whole flight on edge and the minute turbulence hits my whole body physically burns with fear (not because im afraid the planes going to crash, but because I hate that feeling of being out of control.)
This time I will have my boyfriend so at least I wont be alone. But i'm still so scared.
I've also recently been dealing with pain in my stomach. I had an abdominal and internal ultrasound which didnt show anything, and everything was normal.
The only thing found was a corpus luteum which is something every woman develops during their menstrual cycle each month.
I've recently developed pain in that area and i'm terrified that there may have been a small cyst that the scan didn't detect and now it's grown and it's going to rupture on the plane. The pain developed a few days before the scan (the scan was organised for pain I was having in a different location though)and I read that the corpus luteum can turn into a cyst.
Just so terrified of having a medical emergency on the plane, especially when we are above ocean and there is no land nearby to make an emergency landing and seek medical assistance.
I'm also terrified there will be severe turbulence again

I have valium but it didn't help last time, I've also been doing hypnosis everyday and have sought advice from a therapist

This is the trip of a lifetime and I would hate for it to be ruined by my physical and mental health. Anxiety has already taken so much from me, it can't take this as well. 😞

Panicattacka
29-10-22, 03:15
As long as you and everyone around you is wearing a seatbelt, turbulence is nothing to be afraid of. Statistically, the most dangerous time for a plane is during take off and landing (but even then it's still incredibly rare to have trouble for modern aircraft), and the cruising bit at high altitude in-between is incredibly safe - like literally the most safest thing you can ever do with a piece of machinery. Just go compare the stats for air travel fatalities with car fatalities, it's not even close. But do you freak out every time you get in a car? If not, why not?
Presuming that you really want to take this trip, what's the alternative travel option - go by boat? No, of course not. That would take weeks and you'd still have the risks of sinking or being captured by pirates. So you either get on that plane, have some food, a chat with the BF, a drink, and then a nap, or you don't take the trip. And being in Australia, if you don't get on a plane that likely means you will never, ever leave Australia again. Do you like the sound of that?

Take the ride, you'll be fine. Enjoy the UK and Scandinavia.

hoppipolla
02-11-22, 02:38
Hm, how did it go?

I kind of really like planes, lol. They're a bit of a nerdy interest of mine. I find the technology interesting and they have an interesting atmosphere.

I wouldn't overly worry about cysts. I actually had one in my liver and the darn thing WENT AWAY BY ITSELF, lol

So they're often not a big deal even if you do have them.

I don't really see any reason for thinking you will have a big medical emergency on the plane? I don't actually know how they deal with those things... that's interesting.

However I mean, yeah I don't think you have any particular reason to worry just because of feeling a bit up and down recently.

I'm aware that some of me writing this is a bit silly because I think you've finished the flight by now, as you said it was in a couple of days.

Turbulence... it's definitely a weird feeling!! When I was on a plane once it had a bit of jarring turbulence and I felt pretty scared but the stewardesses were so chill, lol. They were just sitting there without a care in the world!

So these things... I think they mainly just feel scary when you're not used to them? Maybe anyways :)

Anyway... yeah I hope it went fine. And I hope the rest of your trip goes well ^^

EDIT -- Whoa long reply sorry!