PDA

View Full Version : Good afternoon.

choccocat
16-02-05, 15:05
Hi all,
I have been suffering with anxiety and panic since 1994.
I had a total breakdown and found I couldn't leave the house. I, like many others thought I was going mad. I had anxiety night and day, couldn't sleep and couldn't stand noise or too much of any thing really. I went to the doctors, which as you can imagine was horrendous with total full on panic the whole time.
She was over an hour late calling me into the office then she had to rush off after only 5 mins to an emergency call out.
I made another appointment a few days later and went through the anxiety all over again.
She prescribed me beta blockers.
Between me and my partner we decided to go it without the prescription. He has been fantastic. Total support.

I used 'first steps to freedom' where I did a phone support group to actually get me out of the house. This worked for me and I was able to get out and about with my partner. I started by going to the end of my street, about 100 yards and so on from there. All I can say I am so glad I can drive, it boosted the distances I can go and I am still totally dependant on it.

I have managed so much in this time and I appreciate the support I have been given by people.

I attended a short course using computers five years ago (I already had one at home) and they kind of discovered me! They gave me work delivering the course for them. They have been my saviours and I cannot thank them enough.

I am now able to go on holiday, which was a real boost to all of the family. I started small, going to our local camp site. Then worked my way up to being able to go further afield like Devon. I want to be able to go to France for a couple of days but the ferry is worrying me. In pursuit of this I mananged to go to Isle of Wight for a long weekend. I was really proud of myself.

Now the thing I need to tackle most is my fear of stairs (biggest fear right now although there is others) and new places. It is controlling me as I totally avoid certain types of stairs. Usually the ones where the sides are open or you can see through them.

I want to do this as it is stopping me from going to job interviews (another thing altogether!!) and going to restaurants and shops. I generally avoid going upstairs anywhere other than my house as I tend to see it as being further from escape.

I only travel in my local area by myself my partner always comes with me if I go further than around 10 - 15 miles. So a long journey for me to go yet.

So I am here to try to stop this from happening, gain support for myself and hopefully give a little support to others.

Sorry that was such an epic, found it easier to get it out all in one go.

Cheers Alison.

mojo5
16-02-05, 15:36
Hi Alison

Welcome !

I'm no expert - in fact I only found this forum 10 days ago myself - but I can tell you that there are lots of friendly people here who will give you lots of support & advice.

You are in the right place to aid your recovery. Sounds like you are making good headway already !

Keep it going & Good Luck.

Mo.

clickaway
16-02-05, 15:45
Hi Alison, I'm glad you have found us!

I've only been here about 10 days and have encountered a wealth of support - you will meet some fabulously supportive people here with good advice.

I too have used First Steps to Freedom, but it doesn't seem too well known...I joined Audrey's telephone group there.

I am glad you are adopting a sensible approach by taking things in easy stages and getting the positive feeling of achievement after each step.

I too have suffered the fear of going out, and also being away from the comfort zone. In fact, you will find that there are loads of people who will say here "I suffered like that too".

Are you exteremely fearful when you tackle these things?

Don't forget we have a chat room here
http://pub4.bravenet.com/chat/show.php/342349380

Its open 24/7 but gets going more around 8pm

Keep us posted of your progress and Take Care,

Ray

Meg
16-02-05, 15:54
Welcome Alison ,

We tend to have more links to No Panic charity telephone support rather than Steps to Freedom but not for any other reason than Nic had lots to do with them in her early days.

You have done really well .

Treat the stairs thing exactly the same as you did going out of the front door. Break it down into the smallest possible increments and take them one at a time - get really comfortable with one before you move on.

Borrow some friends/ relatives houses or the back stairs of a hotel or shopping centre

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

JPF
16-02-05, 15:56
Hi Alison

Welcome aboard! To echo the other's sentiments - you've got a great resource here full of excellent people who understand how you're feeling. It's wonderful place for support and information that really helps and makes a difference.

You're making really good progress - this isn't something which clears-up in a day or two - but it does respond to constant efforts, the like of which you're making. Well done and keep up the good work :)

I'm sure this place will help you immeasurably and combined with your attitude and your partner's (and other people's) support too you'll continue to make great progress.

Good luck and good health

J

choccocat
16-02-05, 16:05
Hi, thanks for your warm welcome.
It's so nice to be able to talk openly about how I feel.

Onwards....
;)

clickaway
16-02-05, 16:25
....and Upwards ;)

Ray

seh1980
16-02-05, 17:03
hi Alison,

Welcome to the site!! I look forward to getting to know you better.

Sarah :D

Karen
16-02-05, 17:20
Hi Alison

Welcome to the forum.

You've done really well and made so much progress already. I feel sure you will be able to tackle and overcome the residual fears.

There is a lot of help and support available here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

henri
16-02-05, 17:25
Hi Alison,

I'm so glad you found this site - i've only been on it a few days and it's already helped me loads.
I think it sounds like you have done really well so far - i'm still at the stage where i can't really leave my neighbourhood yet, let alone get on a ferry!
Hope to see you in the chat room - as I said, i've only been in there a few times and it always makes me feel so much better.

Take care,

Henri x

FAN
16-02-05, 18:30
hi and welcome im sure you will find it really helpful on here

fan x

nomorepanic
16-02-05, 20:08
Hi Alison

Welcome aboard the site.

I have to admit that I never knew about the site "first steps to freedom" and I am going to add a link to my links page to them after Ray told me about them.

I got involved with "No Panic" early on in my illness and did their recovery course and they have been so good to me in terms of letting me reproduce their articles on my website.

I will definitely recommend "first steps" if it helps people too.

As for the stairs - well I can relate to that.

The stairs that go from our office to the ground floor from the fire escape exit are like that and I can't even look over the edge. I just keep to the far left had side and walk down and don't even venture to the side that has the hand rail.

It is just my fear of heights and I learn not to look down!

I hate lifts too so I have no choice but to use the stairs but I just try to ignore the feeling of being up high and concentrate on getting down.

I hope we can be of some help to you on here and you stick around.

Nicola

choccocat
16-02-05, 22:44
How weird that I forgot to also mention that I hate lifts more than the stairs!!!

Thanks to all of you for your welcome. I could tell immediatly that this was a supportive atmosphere. I look forward to meeting you all in the chat room soon.

I still can't quite believe that I got on that ferry. I have a thing about when I am going into a situation that I am worried about I do it myself. For instance going onto the ferry I could have let my partner drive on, but I wanted to do it myself so that I could see exactly what was going on and I was responsible for my actions. No blaming anyone else!

Lovely to be here as well. [8D]

Alison.

Meg
16-02-05, 22:50
Much of all of the anxiety is about handing over or letting go of control...

We tend to like being in full control - even of the plane if we could !

Meg
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

choccocat
17-02-05, 12:01
Hi,
I have got an interview at national energy centre on Wed. Eeeek! Nice to know I don't have to go into details about how I am feeling.

I have been to their website and had a look at the place (very nice). I did happen to notice, in passing of course [:I], that it is a 2 storey building so I am hoping it will be downstairs.

Of course by the time I get there I will go through with it, but doesn't make it any easier.

With me it is the fear of the fear. I may be stating the obvious here, sorry if I am, but for me it isn't the situation I fear its all the feelings that go along with them.

I am going away with my partner and son for the weekend to stay with my daughter in Devon, so I won't be sitting here dwelling on it.

Isn't it lovely to get these things off your chest.

Cheers Alison.

Meg
17-02-05, 12:39
Have a lovely weekend Alison.

We'll be thinking of you . The fear of the fear is something that has hit us all over time.. Yuk - but as you say you will go through with it anyway.

Meg