PDA

View Full Version : :(

Fishmanpa
07-11-22, 22:28
Just wanted to share... Our boy Socrates will be 12yo on Nov. 22nd. that puts him at 70yo in human years. I got him at 8 weeks old and he was just 8 months old when my wife and got together. He's been our boy since then but he's definitely more a Daddy's boy. I have to say, I've not known a bond like this to a fur baby in my life. He knew something was wrong before I was diagnosed with cancer and that boy was by my side the entire time, literally. I would travel to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore and we'd stay at a cancer house that was close to the hospital so we were gone 5 days a week for 6 weeks (we had a cat sitter to help). From the time we got home on the weekends and after treatment, that boy was like glue and he would bring me toys to play and make me get up and move around. Really, its like he knew what I needed. When my wife took ill and was in the hospital for over three months in 2016, he slept on a blanket she used the entire time and when she finally came home, he was cuddled up with her in bed within minutes. Again, I've had pets in my life but this guy? Pixie Bobs are truly a special breed and he's lived up to their reputation and then some. He's definitely slowed down in the last couple of years for sure which is to be expected.

The last couple of weeks I've noticed some changes. He's eating less, sleeping a lot more and keeping to himself a lot. He normally sleeps next to me or my wife but he's been sleeping on our sofa where I sit and in various other places by himself the last couple of weeks. I've also noticed he's breathing a little faster as well. Not labored mind you, just faster. There are times he's his usual self, wanting pets and begging for treats but you can definitely tell he's not feeling well most of the time.

The last check up in June showed increased kidney function readings so I'm concerned. They weren't bad but something to keep an eye on. The vet suggested we bring him in in December to be checked and it appears we're doing that a lot sooner. He said to just keep an eye on him and if we notice changes, contact them. I have an appointment set in the next week so we'll see. Keep our boy in positive thoughts.

FMP

Carnation
07-11-22, 22:53
I couldn't ignore the sad face FMP and as a pet owner I can imagine how you are feeling. You know I have cat too.
All I can say is you've shown Socrates such love and given him a wonderful home and he's still with you for now. Try to keep positive!

Fishmanpa
07-11-22, 23:11
Thank you Carnation. I'm not stressing so much as just sad. I knew after ten years, it could happen any time but still, emotionally, its challenging. Just the way he's been lately, it seems like he's telling me the end is near. The way he's been cuddling up to me and soaking in all the pets, scratches and rubs, and he's been showing his love with loud purrs, head butts and butt pats. He's funny... He'll jump up on the couch with me, get up next to me and give me a head butt, turn around and stick his butt in the air to get butt pats. And it's not a gentle pat either! He likes his butt pats and chin scratches hard. He'll push himself harder into your hand for the chin scratches. Like I said, I have a special bond with this creature unlike any bond I've had previously. I swear he knows exactly what I'm saying and I've come to know him and understand what he's telling me. He came into my life at a very challenging time and has been there for myself and my wife through thick and thin.

Hopefully, this is something that can be treated but my gut is telling me otherwise. The Pixie Bob group I belong to on FB shared similar issues with their Pixies and most have a lifespan of 12-14 years so yeah..... :( Its just hard :weep:

ckelley116
07-11-22, 23:22
Thinking all the good thoughts for you and your boy, FMP! If only our pets could outlive us...

Carnation
07-11-22, 23:41
I know it's hard FMP. Socrates is part of your family. It's more than that because he's been your go to comfort and much more. I know those furry head bumps from my cat and sometimes the hit is quite hard. You get to know their wants and needs. They trust us. But try not to let him see your sadness. They can sense that. Carry on as normal as much as you can. And keep those positive thoughts.

Flapj
08-11-22, 02:18
Positive thoughts for Socrates. What a wonderful boy. Sounds like you were very lucky to have found each other.

BlueIris
08-11-22, 04:44
Sending love and positive vibes to you and Socrates. The way cats give themselves to us is such a privilege.

Catkins
08-11-22, 06:11
Sending much love to you and secretes. Our pets bring so much love into our lives, it's so hard when they aren't well/getting older.

NoraB
08-11-22, 06:54
Hi FMP, sorry to hear about Socrates (I've pronounced this 'so crates' ever since Bill and Ted)

I'm in a similar boat with my 13-year-old pooch..

The old girl suddenly went deaf a few months ago and now she's drinking LOADS of water. She had an accident in the house last week (while we were in), and she actually left some food yesterday - which is unheard of with her. There's other stuff too; she's not herself at all.

She actually didn't want to go for her walk last week (with the walker) and that's a first. Normally, she's pulling me over trying to get out the door! The walker tells me that she's become very quiet and subdued when she's out - something that we put down to the deafness - but there's this other stuff, so I'm not convinced it is all down to the deafness..

You mentioned your pooch breathing faster, and I actually took a video of mine yesterday to show the vet because it seems fast. This is odd for my girl because she's normally so chilled when lying down that I've thought she's been dead several times!

So, it's chase her around for a wee sample time, (always a joy), and then it's back down to the vets to see what's going on..

I've had the experience of four other geriatric dogs, and in my heart, I know that the insane (but healthy) girl I rescued all those years ago is on another track, but I will do my very best for her.

It's never easy, this part. It's enough to put us off ever having dogs ever again, right? (Then a pair of velvety eyes look into ours and we're done for all over again).

So, if I may, I'd like to ask for some positive thoughts for my girl too?

Sending you and Socrates so much love FMP. :hugs:

Carnation
08-11-22, 10:59
Sending you positive thoughts for your pooch nora. :hugs:

NoraB
08-11-22, 11:16
My pooch did another walkies refusal this morning. She went eventually but the dog walker sent me a video of her keep stopping and she just looks like she doesn't want to be there. (6 weeks ago, she was bombing after cats and rabbits), so I phoned the vets and they're seeing her in half an hour. (Have stalked her around the yard to get a wee sample).

I'm hoping that this is dip a thingy in her pee, yes, this a water infection and here are some drugs, that'll be £200. (Slight exaggeration)

Carnation
08-11-22, 11:22
Good luck nora x

NoraB
08-11-22, 12:29
I'm back but I've had to leave the pooch at the vets. They found a problem with her heart and the kidneys may be also affected, so they're going to sedate her and run some tests..

Leaving her there felt pretty shit tbh, but if it means they can help her....

Fishmanpa
08-11-22, 12:48
Definite positive thoughts for your doggie Nora. The things you're seeing, I'm seeing too. Our boy is drinking a bit more too (another kidney issue sign) and using his litter box but he's not really eating his kibble and not finishing his raw chicken (he's been getting that since I got him as its recommended by Pixie Bob breeders) His appointment is next week and I have to drop him off when the Vet opens. Socrates is a crazy cat at the Vet and they have to sedate him to examine him. Been that way since he was a baby. So we'll see. If he gets worse before then, we can take him to the emergency vet (about 20 minutes away). Meanwhile, I'm just keeping an eye on him.

FMP

Darksky
08-11-22, 13:19
Big hugs FMP and Nora :hugs:

This is very close to me as you know at the moment. I sincerely hope your cat and dog have a lot more time with you both yet.

They are family and we love them as such. We watch them grow old, knowing what we must bear when the time comes. In truth I don’t know how we do bear it. But we do.

All good wishes coming from here xxxxx

Carnation
08-11-22, 13:47
It's because we don't like our pets too suffer that we put aside our own emotional feelings. We do the right thing for them. Thinking of you both nora and FMP. :hugs:

.Poppy.
08-11-22, 14:37
Thinking of you both, FMP and Nora. It's so hard when our pets are sick, and it's hard to leave them at the vet as well even when it's in their best interest. I've had to do it a handful of times and couldn't settle myself, it felt like there was something missing, which of course there was.

Positive thoughts, hopefully in both cases it is something easily dealt with or managed and you can get several more years together. :hugs:

Catkins
08-11-22, 17:49
Oh heck Nora, a worrying time for you both.

NoraB
09-11-22, 06:50
This is breaking my heart, but I had to say goodbye to my girl last night..

When I walked her to the vets yesterday, I had no idea that it would be for the last time. Even when I had to leave her there for the tests, I thought it would be a heart issue that they would be able to manage. However, later in the afternoon, the vet called to say that Pooch had been given an ultrasound scan and that's when she found cancer. The diagnosis was metastatic liver cancer. She was a very poorly pooch. Under these circumstances, there was only one choice to be made..

We went down later on to spend time with her, and we gave her loads of hugs and kisses, then I stayed with her as the vet put her to sleep. This is the second time I've been present during euthanasia and as hard as it is to go through, it means more to me that my girls had a familiar face/voice with them in their final moments.

I know the first few years of her life were crap. We rescued her and gave her the best life we possibly could. My heart is battered, I'm beyond sad, but this is the price we pay for loving them, right?

Hey girlie,

I know you're off somewhere chasing rabbits (and maybe you'll actually catch the buggers this time).

Thank you for the joy, the love, and those nostril-burning farts. (I won't miss those).

You've been with me through my worst times; a comforting presence with an ever-wagging tail and nudge of the hand as if to say, Hey, I'm here. You're not alone'. (Thank you)

Go fly through those fields. Chase to your heart's content. That's what you were born to do and there's nothing to slow you down anymore.

This is how I want to remember you.

Goodbye my little girl. X

pulisa
09-11-22, 08:21
Awful news...Am so very sorry, Nora...xxxx

Lolalee1
09-11-22, 09:06
Oh Nora so sorry to hear this, I miss my dog.:weep::hugs:

Lolalee1
09-11-22, 09:09
FMP sending you best wishes for Socrates and you and your wife,give him a big hug from me.:bighug1:

Carnation
09-11-22, 10:26
Nora, I'm sorry to read your sad news and have to admit that I had a tear or two reading.
What a beautiful piece you wrote at the end of your post.
I know you must be hurting and you will need time to grieve. Sending you my thoughts. :hugs:

NoraB
09-11-22, 12:18
Thanks all. Your kind words mean a lot to me. X

Darksky
09-11-22, 14:01
So very, very sorry to hear this Nora

Sending you strength xx

.Poppy.
09-11-22, 15:44
I'm sorry Nora. It sounds like you gave her a very long and lovely life, but losing them is always painful. :weep:

Catkins
09-11-22, 19:34
Oh Nora, I'm so very sorry to hear this it must be heartbreaking for you. Just hold onto the thought that you did right by her and she was much loved. :weep:

Scass
09-11-22, 19:56
So sorry Nora. I loved your poem, sending you lots of love, and some up to your beautiful pooch who is hopefully knee deep in rabbits now xx

NoraB
10-11-22, 06:11
Thanks all.

FMP I'm so sorry for hijacking your thread about your pooch. I had no idea this would be the outcome with mine.

How is your boy doing?

Carnation
10-11-22, 10:32
I was just going to ask the same nora.

Fishmanpa
10-11-22, 12:48
How is your boy doing?

About the same :( I'm going to call the vet and see if they can get him in sooner. We're keeping a close eye on him and if we see him slipping we'll be off to the emergency vet.

FMP

Carnation
10-11-22, 13:07
I can imagine how you are feeling FMP and the uncertainty. :hugs:

Catkins
10-11-22, 17:46
So very worrying FMP :hugs:

Fishmanpa
10-11-22, 23:54
So the vet can't get him in any sooner so its next Thursday at the earliest. Thing is with Socrates, he turns into an absolute wildcat at the vet. Been that way since he was a baby. In fact, the notes from when he was neutered at 6 months was "He's a fiesty boy". So he has to be sedated to be examined which means dropping him off. Same deal if he gets worse... They said take him to the emergency vet which is around 25 minutes away. They're good. We took Tasha there a couple of weeks ago after a pittie attack while walking with my wife (a whole other story! Both my wife and Tasha are Ok).

He really hasn't been eating but he's still begging for treats so what I did tonight was hand feed him treats and mixed in his kibble and he did eat a little bit. He ate most of his raw chicken and I stopped at the store and bought a few packages of cat food to try. I bought a pouch of Fancy Feast chicken in gravy and he ate most of it so at least that's something. I have a few others to try as well. He seemed to have a better day overall as he made it a point to come to me, give me head butts and get scratches and pets while I was working and is cuddled up next to me purring while I type this, but you can tell he's off and losing weight.

So we'll see. We're keeping a close eye on him and will do what we can.

FMP

Carnation
11-11-22, 10:01
The head butts mean a lot FMP.
Good he's eaten some wet food. My cat is the same when he's feeling off, eats the treats and biscuits but nothing else. You'd think the biscuits would be harder to digest.
That fact that your Socrates has taken some food is good sign and he couldn't be in better hands FMP. :hugs:

BlueIris
11-11-22, 10:08
If he's not on a special diet, I've found bits of chopped frankfurter are really good for getting poorly cats to eat. Maybe it's the smoky smell?

Darksky
11-11-22, 12:56
Does he like fish? A little bit of lightly cooked fish often goes down well. Salmon usually goes down very well. Tinned tuna, in water not brine. I think you’d want to avoid any salt overload. I’ve known cats love cooked prawns and cheese. Do the vets have any soft ‘recovery’ food. You know the stuff they dish out to post op cats. That’s gentle on the stomach but tasty.

Fishmanpa
11-11-22, 16:26
Thanks for the food tips. Socrates has always been a picky eater. He's never been the type that scarfs down his food. He's been on a raw and kibble diet since I got him. I've tried beef and fish but he turns his nose up at it. He gets raw chicken tenders. We buy frozen tenders and he gets a half of one per day. He typically finishes that and then free feeds his kibble. Lately, he's only been eating about half his chicken and barely touching his kibble. He's still begging for treats though (Greenies chicken). He did like the chicken and sauce in the pouch and I have a few more to try.

I called the vet today to see if they can squeeze him in and they're going to get us in this afternoon. Dreading this but he's just not doing well :(

We'll see....

FMP

pulisa
11-11-22, 16:57
Could it be a dental problem do you think? Glad you have got him an appointment and hope you get some answers.

Darksky
11-11-22, 16:58
Good luck this afternoon Fishman.

Fishmanpa
11-11-22, 18:26
Could it be a dental problem do you think? Glad you have got him an appointment and hope you get some answers.

Don't think so Pulisa. When he was at his check up in June, the vet said his teeth were in good shape. He's been getting the Greenies Chicken treats for dental since I can remember. We're leaving in a little bit...

FMP

Fishmanpa
11-11-22, 21:20
UPDATE: They did exams and tests and it is with great sorrow that I have to inform you that they found a lot of fluid in his chest and abdomen and it was cancer. He crossed the rainbow bridge with my wife and I by his side.

Bobcat Legends Socrates Ulysses 11-22-2010 / 11-11-2022

RIP Boo Boo

FMP

pulisa
11-11-22, 21:35
I'm so sorry, FMP...Such sad news for you both and a huge void. This has been a horrible week for both you and Nora.

Fishmanpa
11-11-22, 22:20
I'm so sorry, FMP...Such sad news for you both and a huge void. This has been a horrible week for both you and Nora.

Indeed it has! :weep: My daughter called me as I had posted it on FB, my wife shared it and it was on the Pixie Bob Cat Families group page as well. She knows as she's lost several fur babies from guinea pigs to doggies. I'm just kind of numb. It will take some time to process as it is with the loss of any loved one. It was the right thing to do and it was incredibly fast and painless for him. He's in a better place now. He knew we were there and he knew he was loved.

FMP

.Poppy.
11-11-22, 22:36
I'm so sorry, FMP that's terrible news - but you're right, he had a great life full of love and care and he would have known it.

Darksky
11-11-22, 22:47
So very sorry to read your update FMP. Sending you :hugs:xxx

Carnation
11-11-22, 23:36
I’m so sorry to hear this FMP. :hugs:
You did everything to make Socrates comfortable and cared for and I know you must be hurting now.
My thoughts are with you and no doubt you will need time to process the loss.
But rest assured he had the best love that you could give.

Fishmanpa
12-11-22, 00:05
Thank you for the kind thoughts :hugs: My gut was telling me from the time I saw the changes that this was it. As I've said previously, the connection I had with this very unique creature was unlike anything I've experienced in my life. While this just happened literally hours ago, I thought I was doing Ok considering. Then of all things, nature called. While I'm sitting there I realized I didn't have company. I think I can count on my hands and feet the times I had the bathroom to myself in the last 12 years! Socrates made it a point to be there regardless of the time of the day or night. He would get pets and scratches and 99% of the time crawl into my pants or pajamas and purr up a storm :) That really got to me, and its interesting, Tasha knows something is amiss. She keeps coming to me and my wife and she can smell Socrates but seems confused as to where he is. But that silly thing of never having the loo to myself really got to me :weep:

FMP

Carnation
12-11-22, 00:47
FMP, the absence will be very noticeable and there's going to be many occasions Socrates was part of your daily routine. Words don't seem enough to fill that loss and its going to be extremely hard for a while but keep saying to yourself of what a special relationship you had which doesn't fall in everyone's path. We know there has to be an end but at least you didn't leave Socrates and was there for his parting. I can only imagine how you feel at my heart goes out to you as a fellow cat owner. Socrates can rest in peace now. No more suffering for your special companion. :hugs:

NoraB
12-11-22, 05:28
UPDATE: They did exams and tests and it is with great sorrow that I have to inform you that they found a lot of fluid in his chest and abdomen and it was cancer. He crossed the rainbow bridge with my wife and I by his side.

Bobcat Legends Socrates Ulysses 11-22-2010 / 11-11-2022

RIP Boo Boo

FMP

FMP, I am so very sorry to hear this.

I was hoping for a better outcome for your boy and I'm really sorry that it wasn't to be.

Obviously, I know how you feel right now, but I also know that this is the price we pay for love.

I think A.A. Milne got it right when he said, "How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."

You and I were lucky to have wonderful pets. (And they were lucky to have us too)

You gave your boy a loving home and a happy life and the last act of love we can ever give our pets is to let them go, as heart breaking as that is for us.

Socrates is living his best heavenly life right now. Maybe he's met up with my girlie? (Believe me, he'd know)

Wherever they are, they're no longer in pain.

One day, that last painful memory will fade and all those hundreds of wonderful, happy memories you have of your boy will bring a smile to your face. But for now, you have to grieve.

Sending you and your family so much love. :hugs:

NoraB
12-11-22, 06:29
This time, for me, has been much harder and I've been trying to work out why, but I eventually realised why..

I had my first girlie when I was 16. When I got pregnant, we got a mate for her - a little Cairn Terrier. A few years passed and we brought in a third pooch, a boy hound. When my girlies died, I went back home and buried my face into the fur of our boy. He licked my tears away, literally. Then he'd prat about and make me laugh. It's like he was thinking, 'No sadness on my watch, Mum'. This time, there has been no other pooch to comfort me. There's nowhere for this love to go, just this enormous void which makes me want to keep leaving the house, except that leaving the house means coming back into silence, and it somehow feels colder than when she was here?

There's only one answer, of course. But I'm not ready for that yet. It's still too raw. This next pooch may well be my last and I must factor in my health this time, so the decision must be made from the head as well as the heart. (Problem is that I'm a sucker for unwanted pooches and I cannot walk away once a pair of pleading eyes look into mine).

Two of my girlies threw themselves at me. My first girlie trampled over her siblings to get to me. The Cairn just stood there looking sad, but we had an idea of what her life had been like the first time we picked up a magazine to read and she fled behind the sofa. :mad: The boy was like, I'm yours, take me home. My last girlie hurled herself at me and she was pretty much a lovable psycho for the next 11 years..

Dogs are thieves. They steal hearts. And when they go, they leave such a huge hole in our lives..

I honestly don't know how anybody can say, 'they're just animals'.

BlueIris
12-11-22, 06:34
I'm so very sorry that two of my favourite people on here have lost loved ones. They both sound truly incredible, and I know they would have had wonderful lives with you.

Scass
12-11-22, 07:19
I’m so sorry to hear about your Socrates, he has always sounded like such a special cat. You had an amazing bond.
Sending love.

NoraB
12-11-22, 07:23
Ffs, I thought Socrates was a dog!!

Apologies FMP.

The 'purr' bit was totally lost on me.

What an absolute pillock I am...:lac:

Carnation
12-11-22, 11:14
I love that line by A.A. Milne :hugs:

Catkins
12-11-22, 16:58
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this FMP - thinking of you both x

Fishmanpa
12-11-22, 23:31
Thank you for all your kind thoughts and I truly understand what you're saying Nora.

This is just a vent. I'm Ok, just emotionally hurting :weep:

This all happened so fast. Literally in the last two weeks. Yesterday we were there to see our boy pass. Knowing he's at peace and not in pain is the main thing here.

Last evening, he passed, and then we came home and few hours later, off to bed. Getting to sleep was challenging. It was such a weird feeling not having him there, cuddling and purring next to me. Seeing his stuff... litter box, food and water bowls and toys. Sitting on the couch and not having him with me?.... And Tasha? I know she knows. Last night, she kept coming to my wife and I know she could smell him on us and I swear she knows. She was just so sad last night. You could see it in her face and body language :weep: Then today? Not having him around? It just feels like there's such an empty space in our home. It made work challenging and thankfully I have tomorrow off and a few vaca days next week... I need them.

Anyway... We'll be Ok. Time will heal us. My wife asked if I wanted another cat and I said yes.... It will be a bit but we'll see. As with what you said Nora, this one may very well be last.

FMP

NoraB
13-11-22, 06:31
This all happened so fast. Literally in the last two weeks. Yesterday we were there to see our boy pass. Knowing he's at peace and not in pain is the main thing here.

Last evening, he passed, and then we came home and few hours later, off to bed. Getting to sleep was challenging. It was such a weird feeling not having him there, cuddling and purring next to me. Seeing his stuff... litter box, food and water bowls and toys. Sitting on the couch and not having him with me?....

I've gone through exactly these emotions, FMP. I had to get rid of every visual reminder, except photographs and her lead - which is still hanging up. (Her tags are on my keyring and my son's)

I haven't stopped crying since Tuesday. I just keep breaking down. So, Mr Batty suggested that it would help me (and our son) to start looking for another pooch, sooner rather than later. And I think he's probably right. I have all this love and nowhere for it to go. But I must make sure that any choice we do make comes from the head as well as the heart, and I've asked Mr Batty to be strong enough to say 'No' and help me to walk away if a dog isn't right for us.

We went to Manchester Dog's Home yesterday, and we were reminded of a problem we came up against before we got my girlie. These days (and understandably so) rescue centres won't re-home a dog where there are young children. Last time, my son was 2 and we came up against brick walls for the rescue centres. My girlie was actually a private sale, but she was in such a poor state (underweight, unsocialised, and covered in fleas) that I've always classed her as rescue. My son is 13 now, but all our grandchildren are under 2 years, so, we have the same problem as before. :weep:

Lolalee1
13-11-22, 10:05
For you FMP xx

Fishmanpa
16-11-22, 18:47
Thank you Lola and everyone. Today was the actual appointment with the vet but I don't think he would have made it TBH. Its been hard but I'm Ok. I have to say that Tasha has been an angel through this. You can tell she knows as she's been walking around the house whining and she's been cuddling up to me and my wife more than usual (and she's not a cuddler). Last night I went to bed and put on Youtube as I usually do to watch videos and news and there was one of those cute cat videos. Tasha was lying next to me and she heard a meow from one of the clips, turned around and literally watched the kitties on the TV. She then turned around and put her head in my hand. I nearly shed a tear it was so sweet :weep: There's no doubt in my mind she knows and her demeanor and actions show me that. I know, based on the way she was with Socrates, she'd be a great big sister to a kitten.

As I said on Nora's thread, my wife and I talked a bit about getting a kitten but I'm not ready and likewise, I know, at my age, it may be the last kitten I have in my life.. Just like Tasha will be the last puppy. Although she'll be two at Christmas, we have a permanent toddler with this goofy girl :)

FMP

NoraB
17-11-22, 13:43
We got our girlie's ashes back yesterday and I was blown away with what was in the box. (Aside her ashes, obvs)

There was also a lovely bag of her beautiful golden fur, and they took paw prints.

Just need to wait for spring and those bluebells to come up now...

Fishmanpa
17-11-22, 13:47
We got our girlie's ashes back yesterday and I was blown away with what was in the box. (Aside her ashes, obvs)

There was also a lovely bag of her beautiful golden fur, and they took paw prints.

Just need to wait for spring and those bluebells to come up now...

We're waiting on Socrates' ashes. We're getting a paw print as well and they gave us a box with some of his fur while we were there. We should have them back in the next few days.

FMP

NoraB
17-11-22, 13:54
We're waiting on Socrates' ashes. We're getting a paw print as well and they gave us a box with some of his fur while we were there. We should have them back in the next few days.

FMP

I never had this with any of my other pooches and I had no idea this was what they'd do. I was just expecting a box of ashes. Nice touch though, eh?

Scass
17-11-22, 18:11
How lovely of the vets to do that for both of you. It’s so nice to have something of theirs to feel.

Fishmanpa
01-12-22, 12:29
So this happened!

I was looking at Petfinder and came across a kitten from a rescue near us. There were pics of him with dogs, small and large and he was adorable! Tasha has really been missing her big brother (as were we) so I reached out to the rescue. He is around 13-14 weeks old and was fostered in a home with dogs. I wasn't sure I was even close to ready for a kitten but fate has a strange way of showing itself. Long story short, he's our new addition and so far, all is well. I have a feeling, based on the introduction and interactions thus far, I think we'll be good! And... he's a total cuddle bug and purr machine!

Honestly, I didn't know if I/we were ready but it was a gut feeling and I trust my gut as its right the vast majority of the time. I literally picked up Socrates' remains from the vet earlier in the day and my mood was somber at best. When we got to the foster home, we were greeted by their dogs and cat as well as the owners/fosters. Everyone was so nice. Constantine came over to us and cuddled into Marcia and got chin scratches from me and it was a no brainer :D

Meet Constantine Apollo.

BlueIris
01-12-22, 12:35
He looks like a menace, and I mean this in the best possible way :)

Hi Constantine!

Fishmanpa
01-12-22, 12:48
He looks like a menace, and I mean this in the best possible way :)

Hi Constantine!

He's definitely a kitten for sure! We brought him home Monday night. We've done introductions and as of last evening he had free run of the house to explore, supervised of course. They did well together. Tasha is not quite sure of what to make of this crazy little thing but we'll be fine :)

FMP

Scass
01-12-22, 13:00
Oh he’s going to be trouble!
He is so pretty though. I think you did a good thing.

Carnation
01-12-22, 13:16
She's a cutie. :yesyes: looks like a naughty streak in his eyes. Lol. Will be good for all the family FMP. I know you wouldn't have taken this one on if it didn't feel right.

pulisa
01-12-22, 13:52
He's adorable..Is he a bengal?

Darksky
01-12-22, 14:18
Gorgeous kitten FMP. I love him. Some things are just meant to happen and this is one of them.

Enjoy your new kitty xxx

Fishmanpa
01-12-22, 14:19
He's adorable..Is he a bengal?

No, just a domestic short hair tabby. He does have a pointy face like a Savannah though. He's a tiny little thing. He's 13-14 weeks old and the size of Socrates when I brought him home at 8 weeks. The rescue found the momma and 7 kittens and he was the last of the litter. He and his siblings had a rough start and had to be treated for worms and parasites but he was given a clean bill of health a couple of weeks ago. He's fixed and has had all his shots.

He's literally curled up on my chest purring away as I type this :emot-wanttohug:

FMP

.Poppy.
01-12-22, 14:50
He's so cute, kittens are so much fun. :)

NoraB
02-12-22, 07:34
Meet Constantine Apollo.

Hello Constantine!

I'm so happy to hear that you have a new fur-friend, FMP. :yesyes:

jojo2316
02-12-22, 21:45
Dear FMP, ive come to this thread late and read it from start to finish…. What a heartbreaking goodbye to sweet socrates
- he sounds irreplaceable. And now constantine - hello kitty!!! - i camt wait to hear about his adventures
xx

Fishmanpa
02-12-22, 23:56
Dear FMP, ive come to this thread late and read it from start to finish…. What a heartbreaking goodbye to sweet socrates
- he sounds irreplaceable. And now constantine - hello kitty!!! - i camt wait to hear about his adventures
xx

Thank you and everyone for your kind words. It's been a challenging month in general but that happens in life.

And now, we're adjusting to this little fuzz ball and he's a character for sure! He's brought lots of smiles, laughs and love into our home in the short time he's been here. He's a real sweetheart :emot-prettywink:

FMP

Catkins
03-12-22, 07:56
He is absolutely gorgeous FMP!

Fishmanpa
05-12-22, 15:59
So its been a week since we brought Constantine home and he's settling in nicely. He and Tasha are getting along nicely and I think they'll end up being great friends.

FMP

Carnation
05-12-22, 21:24
I'm so pleased for you FMP.
And what a great photo :)

Fishmanpa
08-12-22, 23:51
So its been a week and a half since we brought Constantine Apollo home and things are going quite well. He's a kitten for sure including all the crazy antics but what a blessing he has been. Tasha and him are getting along and playing a bit together. She's not 100% comfortable but I feel they will be cuddle buddies in time.

I was off today and for the first time since we got him, he came up and cuddled with me. The way things are now, we put Tasha to bed in our bedroom and Constantine has been staying with my wife in the 2nd bedroom (her craft room). He's been cuddling up with her in the pull out bed. He loves to be picked up and loved on and he's been coming up to me and laying near me but but today? He curled up next to me, was making biscuits on me and begging for pets. He has a motorboat purr that can't be beat and that little kitten 'mew' for scratches and pets when you ask him what he wants and the fact he's just just so darn adorable just melted me :bighug1:

Losing Socrates was very difficult and affected me more than I realized. This little guy is just what I needed :) We connected today.... Those of you with fur babies know exactly what I'm talking about ;)

FMP

Carnation
09-12-22, 09:10
I do FMP. And this new fur baby will feel that void as well as give a good home with lots of love in return. :)

Fishmanpa
20-12-22, 13:58
Constantine Apollo discovered the Christmas tree today and I had forgotten you can't wrap presents with a kitten around! O.M.G! :roflmao:

But he listened when I told him to and now this is what being so darn cute does for you https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/emoji.php/v9/t57/1/16/1f609.png This little guy has brought so much joy, laughter and love to our hearts and home.

Things are going well. He's absolutely fearless and being brought up in a wonderful foster home with dogs and cats and love, he just melded into our home and lives seamlessly. Tasha is still not '100%' comfortable as our previous cat was the alpha and she hasn't quite figured out she's the boss now https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/emoji.php/v9/t57/1/16/1f609.png They play and chill together and I have the feeling they'll be cuddle buddies in the near future.

As of now, he has free run of the house while we're home. At bedtime, Tasha sleeps in her crate in our room and for now, Constantine and my wife are sleeping in the 2nd BR probably until after the New Year before we let him have run of the house while we're asleep (and the Christmas decorations are put away! ~lol~).

FMP

Carnation
20-12-22, 14:19
Great to hear this update FMP :yesyes:

Fishmanpa
17-01-23, 17:02
We brought Constantine Apollo home 7 weeks ago. He has quickly become a much loved member of the family by all. He loves his big sister and she definitely loves him and they've developed a bond and watching them play and interact has been a joy. It freaked me out at first as he will ambush her and do a flying leap in the air landing on her! She bats him away and he goes full submissive on his back. Then they'll be mouthing at each other and Tasha will put his entire head in her mouth! She could literally kill him is she wanted to but she's so gentle and sweet. She's such a sweet gentle girl (even at 50+ pounds) ;)

What I've noticed the most is how different Constantine is from Socrates in their personalities. While there are many similar cat behaviors, the differences are noticeable. For example, Socrates didn't like to be picked or held (unless he wanted to). Constantine wants to be cuddled in your arms and purrs like a motorboat. This little guy is much more vocal and he still has that kitten meow and chirps (too cute!).

I know some here have lost fur babies recently and I can tell you first hand, its never too soon to get another. I've had pets all my life but I never bonded with one like I did Socrates. That was my boy and we had a relationship that was very unique. I know to my soul that creature knew me better than myself. He was there all through my health challenges and as I mentioned before, he knew I was sick before I did. All of us felt his loss.... Constantine has been a healing blessing to us.

Last night I was watching the football game and realized that I was alone in the living room. It was around 9pm or so and getting toward bedtime and I went upstairs to see what was going on as it was so quiet in the house. This is what I found ;)

FMP

Catkins
17-01-23, 17:26
Awww that's adorable!

Carnation
17-01-23, 18:20
It’s good to hear an update FMP. Great photo!

Fishmanpa
11-02-23, 14:06
Happiness! Tasha and Constantine playing https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/emoji.php/v9/tea/1/16/1f970.png Look at her happy tail and how gentle she is with him. She 50+ pounds and could squish him but she's so sweet and gentle with him with him and you can see he really loves his big sister. They're cuddling and together more and more each day.

https://youtube.com/shorts/dPuzuYGthQE

glassgirlw
11-02-23, 15:32
Haha love the “sneak attack” from above. So cute!! Glad everyone is getting along well!!

Catkins
11-02-23, 19:04
Lovely!

Carnation
11-02-23, 20:04
That's great FMP. I really enjoyed watching that video.

NoraB
12-02-23, 08:53
Loving the update on Constantine, FMP!

Update on our fur baby (now 5 months old) is that she doesn't like going for walkies. :whistles:

I have read this about Whippets but I dared to dream of taking her for long walks and afternoon tea at canal-side cafes..

As it is, Girl only has to see her coat come out and she throws herself into her crate, (not even joking) and I have a feeling she's actually trying to work out how to lock herself in? :unsure:

Also, I have discovered the problem with a socially challenged lunatic choosing a whippet puppy. Everybody wants to stroke her and do the talky thing. Ear buds? No chance! :scared15: I've had a bloke stop his van and get out to speak to me about her, which was a bit unnerving truth be told. I am a bit worried that someone might try to nick her, but I reckon they'd soon bring her back once they realise she's bone idle and is not remotely interested in anybody who doesn't have an electric blanket for her to toast herself on..

In other news, she's no longer car-sick and is completely house trained! :yahoo:

Fishmanpa
12-02-23, 17:48
Couldn't resist :D The kids playing. This is a game Tasha plays with her little brother offering her tail as a toy. They've been doing this a lot the last month. I love how happy she is doing it too :o

https://youtube.com/shorts/EuwuwwNhDJU

FMP