PDA

View Full Version : Post traumatic anxiety?

Swanee
16-11-22, 11:23
Hi everyone,

I'm a very long term health anxiety sufferer, so I already understand a lot about the many anxiety symptoms and their adrenaline fuelled causes. I've had counselling, I've read the wonderful books by Dr Claire Weeks (hugely helpful) and yet I still find myself in a state of anxiety and unable to reassure myself that it's just the same old, same old happening again.

I have chronic sinusitis, which has been pretty bad recently. Okay, so that always makes me feel like my head and face are filled with cotton wool, I feel light headed and a bit spaced out. I recognise these feelings and they're unpleasant, but I'm also wondering if I actually have a cold as well, because I'm feeling a bit achey, nauseous and lethargic.
Having said that, I'm often achey - and along with that, I have begun experiencing intermittent spells of pins and needles in my hands. I'm coming up for 64, so probably not unusual for someone of my age.
I find myself wondering if I have fibromyalgia - although there's no treatment for that anyway.

I'm currently on Thyroxine for an under active thyroid, Escitalopram for anxiety, Bendroflumethiazide and Amlodopine for high BP and Mebeverine for IBS. All long standing prescriptions.

I've experienced many anxiety symptoms over the years, and once I accept that they are caused by anxiety I can usually calm them down or eradicate them altogether, but so often a new one pops up in its place which takes over. I like my anxiety to a goblin which sits on my left shoulder. Every time I'm feeling anxious and I'm trying to reason with myself, he whispers "but what if..." in my ear, and next thing I'm googling - which naturally comes up with a diagnosis of the very thing I'm so afraid of having. Yes, I know I shouldn't Google, but that goblin shouts louder than my own voice of reasoning.

However - this is where I'm at right now.
To put you in the picture, my husband (75) had emergency surgery for bowel cancer in June this year, following a misdiagnosis of piles and IBS in February. Our surgery are still operating on telephone consultations, which can take weeks to get in the first place, with face to face appointments only if considered necessary by the GP. Long story short, my husband had been experiencing a change in bowel habits since the previous October, didn't mention it until last February when he had bleeding, phoned the surgery, spoke to a receptionist, a GP phoned back a few hours later, arranged a face to face appointment four days later, examined but didn't touch him, diagnosed piles, gave him ointment. My husband mentioned griping tummy pains, GP told him to arrange a blood test to check for gluten intolerance (negative) and no mention was made of further investigations, despite the change in bowel habits.
June 19th my husband was in terrible pain, stomach distended, couldn't pass wind or stool, phoned surgery, same GP rang a few hours later, told him to book blood test (earlier appointment - 5 days later) and collect a poo test from the surgery, despite my husband being unable to pass anything, not even wind.
Following morning, my husband was in an even worse condition, so I rang the surgery and handed him the phone, insisting that he asked to speak to a different GP. An hour later another doctor rang, called him in immediately, diagnosed a bowel obstruction and admitted him to hospital.
Hospital did scans, found a tumour and a complete blockage which was on the point of rupturing the bowel, carried out emergency surgery resulting in a stoma and four rounds of chemotherapy (finished three weeks ago). The surgery removed all the tumour, one lymph node out of 30 was found to have traces of cancer, hence the chemo, but thankfully my husband's prognosis is good
Colonoscopy this weekend - usually done prior to surgery to remove any polyps, but post-op due to emergency situation.
I coped amazingly well during all this. Our three sons and daughters in law were all amazed at how strong I was throughout. To be honest, so was I.

Now, however... my anxiety about myself has erupted like Vesuvius. I feel like I have just crumbled. Damn that goblin.

ankietyjoe
16-11-22, 13:42
Damn that goblin.

I'm sorry to hear what you've both been through.

Having been through similar experiences myself (my partner had to have quadruple prolapse surgery last year whilst having a severe mental health disorder) I would say a resounding yes, being the partner of somebody going through a serious medical procedure with the current state of the NHS can be profoundly stressful and traumatic. My mental and physical health took a tremedous hit after her surgery, and the resulting care she needed made it even worse.

Just a point on things like chronic diseases such as fibromyalgia though. It might be worth you researching the carnivore, or at least the keto diet, as there is a LOT of evidence out there suggesting that gut health is the root cause of a lot of these conditions.

Aside from that, don't feel guilty for the way you feel. The uncertainty of loss absolutely destroyed me for a while. Several months in emotional limbo is traumatic.

Scass
16-11-22, 15:06
I’m glad your husband is doing better. I hope you all feel well enough soon to put in a complaint about the gp who missed all the signs. I think you coped brilliantly, and that’s why your anxiety is hitting hard now that you have time to breathe again. But look, you did so well, you’ll get through this too. Xx

Swanee
16-11-22, 22:03
Thank you so much ankietyjoe, I genuinely appreciate your understanding, reassurance and advice. I really hope you and your partner are doing better now. Bless you both. Xx

Swanee
16-11-22, 22:09
Bless you Scass, and thank you for your kind words. We have every intention of putting in a formal complaint. The GP who misdiagnosed my husband has already verbally accepted that he made a major error of judgement. I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to get back to me. Xx

olivia0703
16-11-22, 23:40
Hi Swanee. You've been through so much, it's no wonder the anxiety has caught up with you. Do you find the Lexapro helps at all? My doctor wants me back on it. Like you, my health anxiety is out of control