PDA

View Full Version : Chemical Worry

Lizzy84
23-11-22, 22:17
Hi,
Two days ago, my husband steam cleaned our carpets using harsh chemicals. He used the 2x concentrated version, but didn't dilute it enough with water. Basically, he used 20 ounces of the cleaner, which was more than enough to do the entire house ... and he only cleaned the carpet in the the living room and dining room.

My husband opened the front four windows of the house, which is in the area he cleaned, but the smell was horrible when I came home about an hour after he cleaned the carpet. So, I left and went on a walk for an hour. When I came home, the lawn and pest control company had come (as noted by the sign on my lawn), and my husband left the front windows open while they treated the lawn and shrubs with a hose from the truck. It was also windy, so I was really upset and worried that they sprayed my lawn with the windows open, because I was afraid the chemicals came inside. Even worse, could the pest control chemicals have mixed in the air with the carpet cleaner chemicals and created a more potent chemical reaction?

I was pretty worried going to sleep, and woke up feeling awful. Sore throat, spacey, eyes a little red, and I was a bit shaky. And my 6-year-old daughter said she had a slight headache when she woke up, but it cleared before the end of the school day and she didn't seem to have any other side effects.

That said, should I be worried about these chemicals? I'm still feeling under the weather and out of it, but it can be very confusing to know if these are symptoms of anxiety or if I'm actually poisioned in some way. I'm very sensitive to chemicals, but since my daughter and husband are fine and had the same level of exposure that I did, am I OK, too? Or am I right to be concerned? What would you do, if you were me?

Thank you!