PDA

View Full Version : Why did your anxiety/panic start?

geordie flower
23-11-07, 18:36
:) Hiya, I was just wondering what other members experiences are of how or why their anxiety/panic started. Mine began nov 2006 out of the blue and for no reason, I have a life that i am very happy with, a lovely husband and 2 lovely boys and a job that i actually like! So why should I start having panic attacks and feel anxious, mind racing and on high alert all of the time! My head often seems like its ready to burst it just feels so full and bizzy and dont get me started on my dizziness! Sorry to rant abit but I was just wondering if anyone else found that their anxiety came just out of the blue thanks for reading love tracey :) x

WDWFan
23-11-07, 19:36
Hi Geordie, mine's been brewing all year! starting with my job that suddenly became very stressful, my daughter who is mentally handicapped, my neighbours who just do what they want, and more recently my wife who has breast cancer, i believe i have gone from stress to anxiety and more recently panic attacks, i think it's youre body telling you to slow down!
Maybe youre working to hard, have a good look at your life.
Take care.

sagey
23-11-07, 21:37
I had my first panic attack in New York City- sounds good doesn't it! It was soon after my Dad had died, I was homesick, drinking too much and emotionally wrecked. I came back to the U.K. some weeks later and a Doctor gave me Diazepam for as and when. The anxiety came and went and came back agian. I finally got sorted by a wonderfull g.P. who also was a hypnotherapist. I had six sessions with him and was fine for eight years while I married and had kids, then I had another session, again under stress. I honestly can't remember how I recovered from the second bout. Then I was fine for thirteen years and now I'm beset again! I guess it came out of the blue but looking back, I had put up with loads of stress and depressing thoughts for several years.

rocket
23-11-07, 21:46
My first attack was January of 1998 at age 23. I graduated from college and was stressed out about finding a job because I had no money and had to pay the rent. It went away for 6 years and hit me like a ton of bricks in May 2004. My second son was born and we had just moved into a new home. I had a full blown attack in June of that year and was put on Lexapro. I stopped taking the Lexapro last November and was fine for a year. Now all the sudden it is back with avengence. It sucks:sad: I am trying to deal with t naturally thru herbal remedies and vitamins. I have felt a little better since finding this site!!

WDWFan
23-11-07, 21:53
I don't know what would have happened if i hadnt found this site! it's really helped me!
A very BIG thankyou to N.M.P.:hugs:

kiwistace
24-11-07, 08:00
Hey Tracey - just like you, i thought mine came out of the blue...unwelcome but ther all the same. Didnt know what it was for a wee while, then when i started getting nervous going into shops, knew it was SOMETHING. This site has been invaluable to me, Ive not had this monster for long and I hope it goes away for both of us soon xxxx

Welcome to the site
Stacey

kiwistace
24-11-07, 08:02
Sorry just realised I shouldnt use the term 'monster', because it isnt, and we/us/you can beat it xxxx

KittyKate
24-11-07, 21:52
I was in a violent relationship.

He told me I was nothing, nobody would care if I was dead, I could go on but I wont bore you with it lol

Joe1981
24-11-07, 22:40
Well i'm 26 years of age now and to tell you the truth ever since i was little i've had anxiety.. I remember being dropped off at school when i was in grade 1, i remember crying all the time in class and having the teacher and other grade 1 students sing me songs to so i wouldnt cry.. Wow thinking of that kinda makes me look pretty sad lol.. I've been with my girlfriend for 5 years and she doesnt even know that story haha..

However all my bad symptoms started about a year and a half ago when i started my new career. It's a high stress job will no room for error and it's not like i can quit my job, i just finished 3 years of school to get this job so i'm in a sticky situation.

But yah to answer your question about 1.5 years ago is when all the symptoms started but i've had anxiety all my life.

emma81
24-11-07, 22:57
for me i had been suffering depression quite badly for a few years and then i lost a ton of weight, got my confidence back, came off all my meds and felt great. Even when i was very badly depressed i never seemed to experience anxiety or panic attacks tho.

Then one day out of the blue i had a huge argument with my best friend when i was miles from home, my IBS was bad at the time and i had such bad pains in my stomach while trying to get through the hours drive on the motorway to get home. It was also my boyfriends birthday and i felt so awful and guilty i couldnt get there but this friend had upset me so much.

Then i had my 1st panic attack, i was stuck in a huge motorway traffic jam, the panic was getting really bad, the pain in my stomach was awful, i needed out i needed air maybe a toilet i dont know, when suddenly i threw up all over myself in the car and had to stay that way for a further 2 hours suffering huge panic til the traffic cleared. The panic didnt go away in that time, but it did when i stepped foot in my flat.

Since then (2 years ago) when i step outside its like im reliving the panic of that day over and over. Even tho i have no contact with that so called friend anymore the panic lives on grrrr!!!

Emma :)

cattttt
26-11-07, 03:30
I've always been anxious right from when I was young, the first I can remember, I was seven. Then on and off for years until Sept last year when I had my first panic attack about 10 mins after a routine tetanus jab. This led to 6 months of really bad anxiety with panic attacks and all sorts of other symptoms, which stopped me from doing the things which I usually did and enjoyed-except going to work, as I work in a hospital and I always felt safe there!

Allye
28-11-07, 16:33
Hi

I had one panic attack at work last year (in from 7 am, no food all day just endless cups of coffee, emptying 14 cupboards and contents for office moves on my own due to poor planning/budget constraints by people higher up) as well as doing the job of four people. Went to two management meetings mid afternoon and wham – had to run out – mother of all panic attacks (did not know it was a panic attack at the time).

Nothing then until this year when I developed chronic anaemia and had a miscarriage. Had the mother of all panic attacks at work who rushed me to hospital thinking I was having a heart attack or something. After spending all day and night there it was declared I was fit and healthy (other than anaemia) and had “just” suffered a large panic attack. I then realised that the incident last year was also a panic attack.

Anaemia is now sorted and I am having CBT. Panic attacks/anxiety come and go, are definitely a lot worse at work, at the hairdressers, any queue I cannot handle, and I cannot handle supermarkets unless I have a definite list, know exactly where everything is and there is no-one at checkout.

mlondon
28-11-07, 23:38
Hello

I am 25. My first panic attack came when i had just got back from holiday and felt nice and relaxed, i had just finished a job i didn't like and I have a loving boyfriend, so this was the time i thought i would be the most happiest.

Then bam a big breakdown. Looking back in hindsight though my mum had spent the last 2 years self harming and I was the only person around for her, I had a really stressful and depressing job, i was about to start studying again, and when i got back from my holiday i had no job and little money so maybe that explains it.

But it takes hindsight to see it.