PDA

View Full Version : Should we Google for each other?

serith
03-12-22, 20:59
The problem with the "googling your symptoms" addiction is that sometimes, you DO find something reassuring on Google. I honestly have been reassured many times by google. Which of course motivates me to do it more. And then inevitably, I eventually see something scary that sends anxiety on a spiral. So I decided not to do it at all.

Does it make sense for us to google each other's symptoms, just to see if there's some totally simple explanation that would ease the worry -- and of course leaving out the dire warnings that come with everything?

Or is it best just to not Google at all?

pulisa
04-12-22, 08:29
Yes.

NoraB
05-12-22, 07:23
The problem with the "googling your symptoms" addiction is that sometimes, you DO find something reassuring on Google. I honestly have been reassured many times by google. Which of course motivates me to do it more. And then inevitably, I eventually see something scary that sends anxiety on a spiral. So I decided not to do it at all.

In my experience, the way HA works is that the obligatory scary hits on Google will obliterate any reassurance we got from that one time we were comforted.

Does it make sense for us to google each other's symptoms, just to see if there's some totally simple explanation that would ease the worry -- and of course leaving out the dire warnings that come with everything?

I can Google because I sorted out my HA. If your HA isn't under control, then don't Google for yourself or anybody else.

ankietyjoe
05-12-22, 08:51
I can Google because I sorted out my HA. If your HA isn't under control, then don't Google for yourself or anybody else.

Agreed

And also, if your HA isn't under control don't ask others to Google for you either. It's the need to check for reassurance that is part of the HA cycle.