PDA

View Full Version : Colonoscopy in two weeks!

countrygirl
23-11-07, 20:39
I am due to have a colonoscopy on 5th Dec so my consultant can diagnose IBS, apparently they can't do this without a colonoscopy grr. I have already had a sigmoidoscopy that I found horrendously painful so am hoping that the sedation etc works.

I am so worried about the prep - I have been given fleet which is one of the purgatives that puts large volumes of water into your bowels to clear them and can lower your electrolytes dangerously in rare cases so of course I am terified this will happen to me. I am getting a blood test a week before to see if my potassium etc is normal level and am going to discuss with my Dr if I can take rehydration drinks during the prep. I also can't imagine how I am going to survive for 24 hrs with no food at all. I tend to get hypoglycemia if I don't eat regularly!!

Has anyone on here had this proceedure with this prep before and can they give me any advice. I have been told to drink lots and mix the prep with something like orange cordial and drink though a straw as its foul tasting. Also to go on a low residue diet for a week beforehand.

nomorepanic
06-12-07, 21:02
Hi there

Sorry I missed this post before!

How did it go yesterday??

countrygirl
07-12-07, 22:46
I didn't have it I cancelled untul the new year - I just couldn't face it.

am going to talk to my GP about how necesary they think it is as the consultant said that he can never tell someone not to have it in case at a later stage something is found he would get the blame. He said he doesn't expect to find anything as I have already had sigmoidoscopy, occult blood tests and ultrasounds.

I am going to ask my GP how likely it would be for me to have bowel cancer if I have negative occult blood tests every 6 months. Its not the proceedure but the prep. I don't know if I could survive it!

nomorepanic
07-12-07, 23:00
Was your sig ok then?

I may have to have one soon cos my sig results weren't good but trying to avoid it at all costs !!!

countrygirl
08-12-07, 21:49
My sig was compeltely normal plus i have had two neg occult bloods and complete stool analysis and tested for coeliac and food allergies.

Can I ask what they found in your sig????

countrygirl
08-12-07, 21:54
Nicola you don't need to answer my last question as I have just read your posts about your sig - poor you:bighug: