PDA

View Full Version : Ocular Migraines

Scass
07-12-22, 16:00
Ok talk to me about your ocular migraines please. I know a few people on the forum have them.
I last had them over 20 years ago and this morning I had one again, I was so scared I thought I was having a stroke, and then I had a panic attack, and then I realised it felt exactly like an aura migraine.

When I got them before they were glare related and always in winter. I have been very stressed the last couple of weeks and not slept very well at all.
I only had it on one side, it lasted about 20 minutes. It started when I left home to walk my daughter to school, by the time I was walking back I was getting the kaleidoscope eye. I took some paracetamol and put some 4head on and stayed in the dark for a bit, but I had to go to work. I was left with a mild headache and I’m pretty tired. I’ve been pretty upset because they are quite debilitating for office work. But also scared as yo why they’ve started again after so long.

Xx

MrLurcher
07-12-22, 16:14
Hi Scass, I get them now and again. Last happened a few weeks ago while driving back from work. They're called scintillating scotomas from what I understand, like a growing arc/kaleidoscope thing that starts out as a small dot in my vision then gets bigger and bigger until it dissappears out of my peripheral vision.

I tend to go through phases. First happened around 12 years ago, scared the hell out of me. Then I've had them sporadically since. I have gone a few years without getting one, then I'll have two or three in a space of a few months.

I've actually had more this year than in the previous 5 years if that helps, but I'm hoping it's down to the stress of the past 12 months (they had worried me little bit). I even had two in a row back in March which freaked me out because that was a first. I also had one growing/moving to the left as opposed to the usual right, so that was something new again. When I banged my head in football a few months back I had one straight after the game so that also freaked me out because I thought I'd had a brain injury.

The older I've got the more often I get a headache after them, in the past I used to get the ocular migraine and that was it.

When I visited the optician when they started happening he said they're nothing to worry about. Hope that helps.

BlueIris
07-12-22, 16:18
Please don't panic, lovely? As we age, the patterns of our migraines change and that's okay.

During the drama last month, I got one and then another began when the first one reached its peak. They're never a big deal, they're just a part of life for migraine sufferers.

If you need someone to talk to, you know where I am.

Scass
07-12-22, 16:24
I have another starting now. I don’t know why im so scared, or why it’s happening.

Scass
07-12-22, 16:24
Thank you both though xx

BlueIris
07-12-22, 16:47
The panic's just a default reaction to something unexpected. I swear it won't hurt you, just find somewhere quiet for a little while.

Scass
07-12-22, 16:53
It’s mostly gone now, I just don’t know why I’ve had 2 in one day after a 20 year break. Feel like there must be something horribly wrong with me.

Scass
07-12-22, 16:54
I did read that it’s common in peri, but I’m on such anxiety high alert lately that I’m crumbling.

pulisa
07-12-22, 18:00
I had one about 4 weeks ago. First one in about 15 years. really shook me up but I tried to stay calm and it passed in about 20 mins. I was booked in to have a routine eye exam that week anyway and was expecting "something" to show up but all looked healthy so I stopped anticipating another one..

Had a really bad one-sided headache yesterday but I'm also under the cosh so it's understandable.

You're not crumbling, Scass..Just frightened but you're safe and just having routine ocular migraines after a bit of a break..like me.

Scass
07-12-22, 18:10
Oh I’m sorry you did too Pulisa. I feel ok now, just got a headache and feel tired. Maybe I should go and get my eyes checked but I only had a check in the summer. Xx

.Poppy.
07-12-22, 18:30
I've had migraines for 20 years and sometimes get visual side effects but have only had two that I would consider to be true ocular migraines. They're definitely scary so I do empathize with you. With my second I was sure I was having a stroke - part of my vision cut out and then I was having speaking properly as well when the pain hit; I ended up in the ER but it was "just" a migraine and after some fluids and rest I was okay.

Migraines do certainly change with time. Anytime I have a major change I do see my doctor and mention it, just to be sure everything is okay and see if maybe I need to do a med switch or something else. I've had a handful of MRIs in the past as well, including one after my "stroke" migraine and everything has always been normal. They're just very unpleasant but unfortunately a part of life.

ErinKC
08-12-22, 02:46
Hi Scass - I’ve had two in my life about 15 years apart, though I’m a regular migraine sufferer. My husband just had his first one ever last week. They are so off putting and I’m so sorry you’ve gotten them so suddenly!

It sounds textbook ocular migraine, but always worth a call to the doctor to let them know. I wouldn’t worry at this point because they sound so typical.

I saw an ENT recently after getting random Pulsatile tinnitus and while there I asked about my migraines. He said it’s almost impossible to identify true triggers because often it’s really just a perfect storm of many things that just collided at the same moment.

For you it could definitely be age, weather, something you ate, stress, etc. My husband recently started a new work out routine and hadn’t had anything to eat after his work out that morning.

Good luck! I hope they go away as suddenly as they came!

Scass
08-12-22, 16:39
Thank you for all your experience and kindness. Xx

jules321
11-12-22, 06:54
I get these too occasionally and they freak me out each time. My doc said to drink caffeine like a Diet Coke to get rid of them faster. I don’t do that since I also get heart palps from caffeine.

Carnation
18-12-22, 10:15
Is this an ocular migraine!
The day before yesterday I was sitting on the sofa with the sun coming through the window to my left.
Mr C called me to look at the seagulls swooping down taking the bread and I was watching them flying up and down in the line of the sun.
I turned after and glanced in the mirror on the wardrobe door and could barely focus and looking closer my face seemed distorted like a Picasso painting. I walked to another mirror to find the same.
Then came a Kaleidoscope of moving colours in my top-left hand vision and I panicked.
I laid down took a drink of water and had a biscuit just incase it was sugar related. By this time the kaleidoscopic affect was covering most of my vision and I could barely see. It was so distressing. I closed my eyes and when opening them after a few minutes my vision was back to normal. I thought I might be having a stroke or something. I had no headache or other symptoms. And now I can't stop thinking about what happened. :scared15:

Carnation
18-12-22, 10:17
Sorry you are suffering too Scass :hugs:

BlueIris
18-12-22, 11:43
That's a migraine aura, Carnation, yes. I had one yesterday too. Go to the GP if you're concerned, but they're harmless. Mine yesterday came in the middle of a migraine headache, but at least 60% of mine aren't related to headaches at all.

Carnation
18-12-22, 11:48
I've never had one before BlueIris. It really freaked me out. :scared15: strange thing was once it passed I felt completely back to normal. I'm sorry you get them too. :hugs:

ankietyjoe
18-12-22, 11:48
I had my first one around 4-5 years ago and seem to get them out of the blue now every 18 months or so.

First one scared the living crap out of me, for obvious reasons.

I see no pattern in their occurance or warning they're about to happen apart from a weird 'halo' in the centre of my vision, and then they progress for about an hour or two, typically.

Even though I know what they are, I still feel a sense of panic when they happen, which I think is natural.

I never get a headache afterwards, it's just the visual disturbance. Mine is exactly like this, but shimmering, jagged, and it changes shape/moves as I have them -

https://images.ctfassets.net/u4vv676b8z52/5MSax5Ov13kPKRGxJH0jy4/f8b3e54d9bdbe8665ed4f7e9d8d53697/ocular-migraine-678x450.jpg?fm=jpg&q=80

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpattayathailand.ru%2Fgo%2Furl%3Dh ttp%3A%2Fanimalia-life.club%2Fqa%2Fpictures%2Focular-migraine-blind-spot&psig=AOvVaw14sH4AbkF2oQ8dOVC_by32&ust=1671450349795000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CA8QjRxqFwoTCPiu0PSLg_wCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAJ

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpattayathailand.ru%2Fgo%2Furl%3Dh ttp%3A%2Fanimalia-life.club%2Fqa%2Fpictures%2Focular-migraine-blind-spot&psig=AOvVaw14sH4AbkF2oQ8dOVC_by32&ust=1671450349795000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CA8QjRxqFwoTCPiu0PSLg_wCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAJ

Carnation
18-12-22, 11:53
Yes, they are the colours I had Joe. Moving in a floating fashion. Mine had more gaps between the colours. And the misty vision putting everything out of alignment. Very uncomfortable experience. Thanks for for posting.

Carys
18-12-22, 12:21
Yes, they are the colours I had Joe. Moving in a floating fashion. Mine had more gaps between the colours. And the misty vision putting everything out of alignment. Very uncomfortable experience. Thanks for for posting.

Hi yeah, its a migraine aura and NOT ocular migraine, thats a totally different thing. People mix the terminology up. Migraine aura can be seen in both eyes simultaneously as it has at its root brain pattern change, and retinal/ocular migraine affects one eye and is about blood flow to the retina. If the migraine aura produces no major headache and sickness after effects, then its called silent migraine. However, silent migraine - which sounds like yours Carnation - can have a lead up phase of various symptoms and whats called a postdrome phase where you are exhausted and feel mood changes, a mild headache and some nausea and a few other things. Look up silent migraine, and you'll get more information. The last year I've been getting LOADS, and by loads I mean sometimes 3 a week - but am now on a med to try and reduce them.

BlueIris
18-12-22, 12:26
What are you taking for them, Carys?

Carnation
18-12-22, 12:37
Thanks for that Carys. I've just been ill with the flu and bronchitis and although I've been resting my body has probably been exhausted fighting it. Plus for the first 2 weeks I had disturbed sleep. I've also had a slight muzzy head. All it adds up. Thank you!
Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread Scass. I've been so scared as to what it was. x

Mocadona
18-12-22, 13:01
I get the aura without headache from time to time as well, didn't have one for ages and then got 2 in the space of 6 weeks after I had covid in February. Mine are the zig zag pattern that starts in the middle and moves out tot he peripheral vision in both eyes. I think it's the only time I got reassured from using google as the images of it matched exactly what I had!!

Carnation
19-12-22, 10:51
Seems a lot of people get these. :ohmy:

Scass
14-02-23, 21:00
Sorry I missed some of the replies on here, it seems that quite a lot of us on here get them.

I’ve had another 2 today. One thing I noticed is that I was really stressed and upset yesterday (went to the dentist & got presented with a very expensive treatment plan). So I wonder if they are a stress reaction in me.

Anyway they suck, and I commiserate with my fellow sufferers xx

Carnation
15-02-23, 16:56
I'm sorry you suffered not one but two! They are awful Scass :hugs:
I don't think stress is a trigger or even sadness. Otherwise half the population would be having them.

Scass
15-02-23, 19:38
Well it does seem like half the forum have them [emoji23].

Thank you C, I hope you’re ok x

BlueIris
16-02-23, 10:25
Stress is only a trigger if you're prone to them, I think.

Going to ramble a bit now. Basically, if I'm going through a phase of being prone to them, that's when the triggers come into play - bright lights most especially, but also any sensory overload from overly strong perfume to a dog barking at me unexpectedly, or strong emotions like anger. Normally these aren't a problem, but if I'm "primed", they're more likely to be triggered. During my last phase in that state, I had an aura because of a flickering tealight on the table at my wedding anniversary dinner. Luckily I'm mostly panicking about them by now; the visuals mostly passed by the time the food arrived and what was left got utterly ignored in the face of romance and general deliciousness.

Scass
21-02-23, 19:42
Thank you Blue! I’m glad you had a good meal!