PDA

View Full Version : Breast Cancer Gene

TheArcher90
08-12-22, 20:01
My grandmother had the gene and had breast cancer. My mum was tested and didn't carry the gene, should I get tested too?

Fishmanpa
08-12-22, 23:27
With HA, it would seem to be a double edged sword. If you don't get tested you'll worry but if you do and you have the gene, you'll still worry. The positive and difference is that if you do, your doctor will be aware and monitor things closely moving forward and if you don't have the gene, you can put this to rest. I would ask your doctor if he/she feels its necessary.

FMP

olivia0703
09-12-22, 00:38
If your mum hasn't got it, you can't have inherited it from your grandmother

serith
10-12-22, 19:03
I think you should not get tested, but make sure you stay up-to-date on checks and mammograms, like anyone should, especially people with family history. I mean, if you have the gene or not, you should do the same checks/ mammograms - so why does it matter if you have some gene? Just put it out of your mind and try not to think about it. The vast majority of people have some relative who has had cancer.

ErinKC
10-12-22, 19:09
I agree with serith. If you mom had it, I'd say get tested just to know for sure. But, it seems unlikely you have it and it's not some sure thing for getting cancer anyway. Just do your due diligence with screening.