PDA

View Full Version : Low platelets

Jonathanbrsc
13-12-22, 11:36
Hi all

I have extreme anxiety over a blood test result I had. I had severe stomach pain and doctor thinks IBS, I had blood tests to rule anything out and all came back normal except platelete count that said low. This was delivered by text message and said they'll do a new blood test in three months time.

I am wondering now, is this serious? If it was serious, surely they wouldn't tell me by text or wait 3 months for more blood tests?

I've been online to search and the results are scaring me to death

Mark13
13-12-22, 16:57
I agree with you. If it were urgent they wouldn't wait 3 months. My platelet count has been low for a few years, currently 139. Had lots of tests but nothing untoward found, although a few years ago I was given folate/folic acid tablets for a couple of months.

ErinKC
13-12-22, 17:21
I would suspect as well that if it was serious there would be faster action. Retesting in 3 months is what they typically do if it seems like an outlier that is likely to resolve. It also comes down to how "low" it was. My doctor explained that, at least in the US, different labs have different values that can vary a bit. So, if you're close to the margin of error it's likely nothing at all to worry about.

Jonathanbrsc
13-12-22, 17:42
I would suspect as well that if it was serious there would be faster action. Retesting in 3 months is what they typically do if it seems like an outlier that is likely to resolve. It also comes down to how "low" it was. My doctor explained that, at least in the US, different labs have different values that can vary a bit. So, if you're close to the margin of error it's likely nothing at all to worry about.

They didn't call me about it. They just sent a text and said all normal except platelets, new test in 3 months. That was it, no consultation no call, no values, just new test in three months!

Jonathanbrsc
13-12-22, 17:42
I agree with you. If it were urgent they wouldn't wait 3 months. My platelet count has been low for a few years, currently 139. Had lots of tests but nothing untoward found, although a few years ago I was given folate/folic acid tablets for a couple of months.

Maybe I'm just low in them

ErinKC
13-12-22, 17:47
Yes I would suspect it's only very mildly low. You could always call and ask for the values and more of an explanation - unless you think that would make your anxiety worse.

Jonathanbrsc
21-12-22, 13:34
I found out today it's 111, which is lower than the 150 mark. Doctor said not that bothered by it and I had a bad bout of Covid-19 a few weeks before. He thinks it will stay around that or rise, but he doesn't have a history of my bloods to compare to because that's the first one I had apparently