PDA

View Full Version : Would the smell of bleach mean the particles could have gone onto food?

Cannotstopworrying
13-12-22, 14:41
I bleached the bathroom which is very close to the kitchen so you can smell bleach in the kitchen.

I left some food resetting on the counter top to cool. I am now worried the bleach particles have got onto the food because I can smell them in the air? Would any bleach have got onto the food this way or cause the food to be now toxic?

Fishmanpa
13-12-22, 14:57
Would you worry that poo particles got on your food from a smelly BM or fart? :whistles:

FMP

WorryRaptor
13-12-22, 15:31
I bleached the bathroom which is very close to the kitchen so you can smell bleach in the kitchen.

I left some food resetting on the counter top to cool. I am now worried the bleach particles have got onto the food because I can smell them in the air? Would any bleach have got onto the food this way or cause the food to be now toxic?

Nope. Absolutely impossible for it to work that way.

The smell from bleach is just from a normal chemical reaction, and smelling it doesn't mean it's floating around, landing on your food as some kind of toxic particle. The fact it was in an entirely different room puts that idea into the realms of magic.

Honestly, you've probably ingested more bleach in every day use of stuff than you ever could from air particles. Think about this: Restaurants regularly use a bleach solution to sanitise their food prep equipment, and sometimes even their plates. They rinse it off, sometimes with really hot water, which creates a big sauna of bleachy smelling vapour. Then they go and use those items to make and serve your food, in that kitchen full of "bleach particles". Never once has anybody become ill from that.

Bleach wouldn't make food "toxic" either. The issue with ingesting bleach is that it burns the tissue of the throat and stomach when swallowed in significant amounts or concentration. Your household bleach is super watered down anyway. I'm not suggesting you go neck a bottle of it, but there's no way it can contaminate your food unless you're marinating it in a bowl of bleach.

Darksky
13-12-22, 16:20
After a problem with my dishwasher which involved grease and dirty water. I have bleached my kitchen floor. Soon I will cook my dinner in there. If I’m not worried about the bleach then you shouldn’t be either. Easier said than done but stop worrying. Xx

ankietyjoe
13-12-22, 17:38

This is well into 'ridiculous' territory.

Start challenging your thinking.

Cannotstopworrying
13-12-22, 18:14
This is well into 'ridiculous' territory.

Start challenging your thinking.

Tell me about it, having a nightmare at the minute with ridiculous thoughts :(

Recently been given some things which were stored in an asbestos shed and very reluctant to keep them as my brain thinks they might have aspestos particles on from the roof if it was slightly damaged. Crazy right?

ankietyjoe
13-12-22, 18:38
Well no, asbestos is a known problem and I think anybody would have cause for slight concern. Your OP was about a household product being used correctly in another room.

The reality is that there would have to have been damage, and particulates, and they would had to have been airborn AND you would have to breathe them for years for it to be an issue.

Asbestos isn't a one shot kill, it works like smoking, exposure vs time.

But I would probably clean the boxes outside before I brought them into the house.

Cannotstopworrying
13-12-22, 19:22
Well no, asbestos is a known problem and I think anybody would have cause for slight concern. Your OP was about a household product being used correctly in another room.

The reality is that there would have to have been damage, and particulates, and they would had to have been airborn AND you would have to breathe them for years for it to be an issue.

Asbestos isn't a one shot kill, it works like smoking, exposure vs time.

But I would probably clean the boxes outside before I brought them into the house.

Thanks for the help.

So stuff stored in an asbestos shed would be absolutely fine to use by the sounds of it and absolutely nothing to worry about? The particles wouldn't just be dropping from the roofing even though it is made of asbestos?

serith
14-12-22, 11:22
Thanks for the help.

So stuff stored in an asbestos shed would be absolutely fine to use by the sounds of it and absolutely nothing to worry about? The particles wouldn't just be dropping from the roofing even though it is made of asbestos?

Your anxiety is so out of control right now. Please get help.

Your thinking is completely distorted and out of control, so perhaps this can help as a reality check? -- Obviously people have already tried to reassure you and, as we know, reassurance is never going to help completely. But I have compassion for your suffering right now so I want to try to tell you--

The bleach thing is absolutely nothing to worry about it. If you, like, DRANK a teaspoon of bleach, THAT would the time to worry, and even then, you'd probably still survive. But why would you drink bleach?? You wouldn't....

As for the asbestos thing, just rinse or wash the stuff you're worried about. The particles will be washed off... Think about it... They are PARTICLES. They will wash off. Asbestos poisoning comes from people who breathe in large quantities of particles regularly. It's not a poison that will kill you if a tiny bit touches your skin.