PDA

View Full Version : Worried about my own panic attacks

LondonRain
14-12-22, 23:25
I rarely get serious panic attacks, and nowadays when I do its related to losing money or something of he sort. In the moment when it happens my panic/anxiety attacks are quite strong...heart starts to beat really fast, sweaty palms etc. the lot...and then it gets to the point where I start to feel unwell (like ive reached a limit) Kind of a feeling like I want to puke or pass out.

I'm getting worried that I could give myself a stroke/ heart attack with one of these.. Even now I'm very controlled even going through these..but it feels absoutely horrible (like death basically) And even knowing what im going through my brain is trying to get me to scream out for help or something similar (reptilian brain) But as I said my biggest fear is getting a heart attack with one of these?

Flapj
15-12-22, 05:16
I rarely get serious panic attacks, and nowadays when I do its related to losing money or something of he sort. In the moment when it happens my panic/anxiety attacks are quite strong...heart starts to beat really fast, sweaty palms etc. the lot...and then it gets to the point where I start to feel unwell (like ive reached a limit) Kind of a feeling like I want to puke or pass out.

I'm getting worried that I could give myself a stroke/ heart attack with one of these.. Even now I'm very controlled even going through these..but it feels absoutely horrible (like death basically) And even knowing what im going through my brain is trying to get me to scream out for help or something similar (reptilian brain) But as I said my biggest fear is getting a heart attack with one of these?

I’m sorry you’re going through this. I’ve been there. It’s very unpleasant. Be assured the physical effects of a panic attack are harmless and you are not in danger.

ankietyjoe
15-12-22, 08:42

A panic attack cannot cause a heart attack or stroke, it's not how it works.

Also, don't label a panic attack as 'serious'. There's nothing serious about them, they're just a physiological response. It's like saying 'serious sneeze'.

Just because they are (tremendously) unpleasant, doesn't make them serious or dangerous. You need to reframe your reaction to them and not placing them on the fear pedestal.

BlueIris
15-12-22, 09:04
Agreed. They're horrible, but if you reframe them as an annoying nuisance it can help tremendously.

Rsandr
22-12-22, 13:40
I read this earlier today on Anxiety Care website, among other things, you'll be OK....

we have never come across a single case of someone dying as a result
of a panic attack.
we have never come across a case of anyone ‘going mad’
as a result of a panic attack.

rossnorman
21-02-23, 19:57
Agreed. They're horrible, but if you reframe them as an annoying nuisance it can help tremendously.
I'm struggling to do exactly that at the moment. Any tips?