PDA

View Full Version : Basa fish from Virebiema safe?

Cannotstopworrying
16-12-22, 13:30
Is fish which has been imported from Vietnam safe? I purchased some for a change from Sainsbury's: https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/all-fish-seafood/sainsburys-river-cobbler-fillets-250g

I did not realise it was imported from Vietnam.

I am seeing lots of articles saying basa from Vietnam is bad due to their food safety standards, water quality and chemicals being used to increase the size of the fish.

It does say it is farmed and has some asc standard but I don't really know what effect that has.

Worried I have put this food into my system which will be bad for my health.

Anyone know much about this?

BlueIris
16-12-22, 16:19
Do you really think a major supermarket chain would sell toxic fish?

Cannotstopworrying
16-12-22, 16:23
Do you really think a major supermarket chain would sell toxic fish?

Would anyone believe Tesco burgers were horse meat? How much checking do these supermarkets do on their supplies and how much is a surface level box tick

BlueIris
16-12-22, 16:37
Horse meat isn't actually dangerous, though.

Sooner or later everything is harmful to your health. Get on with living your life.

Phill2
16-12-22, 19:47
I don't trust their fish just in case.
I always check the packaging and if it's from Vietnam or any other Asian country I don't buy it.

Cannotstopworrying
16-12-22, 23:29
I don't trust their fish just in case.
I always check the packaging and if it's from Vietnam or any other Asian country I don't buy it.

Yea this is why I am worried people online are suggesting to avoid it and I have already eaten half a fillet today.

Not sure why these things are common knowledge and I have never clocked on.

Worried I have eaten something which is full of chemicals which are carcinogenic.

Found this article I am trying to read through but it is a bit heavy going for me to understand:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/raq.12151

Phill2
17-12-22, 04:50
I don't think it's common knowledge as such..
I avoid it because I don't know how it's been packed/shipped etc.
Has it thawed out in transit and been refrozen etc?

ErinKC
17-12-22, 20:07
Even if it’s not the best thing in the world, eating half a filet is not going to kill you or do any harm. If it does have harmful substances you’d likely have to eat it all the time for it to even begin to have a negative effect on you.

Mocadona
18-12-22, 12:40
Found this article I am trying to read through but it is a bit heavy going for me to understand:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/raq.12151

Here is the relevant bit from the conclusion:
Our analysis demonstrates that there is no food safety concern from either environmental or applied contaminantcompounds in pangasius. Furthermore, we have found noscientific evidence for the various statements that have beenmade against Vietnamese pangasius across a broad set ofmedia sources – ranging from blog sites, newspapers, documentaries and parliamentary transcripts.

Hope that's of some help!!