PDA

View Full Version : Child facial asymmetry

Emmalee01
17-12-22, 05:31
I’m so frustrated with myself. My daughter has facial asymmetry. It is noticeable once pointed out that one cheek is visibly smaller than the other and her jaw is narrower on the same side. I google this (like an idiot) and it came up with terrifying parry Romberg syndrome. Whhhyyy am I like this. So of course I spiralled and became convinced it’s what it is and that she will be disfigured by it. I have a problem. I also posted her picture on their Facebook page and the responses were that it could be normal asymmetry but to keep an eye on it. For a sane person this sounds like good advice- but for me it made me convinced that they wouldn’t tell me to keep an eye on it unless they thought it is what it is 🤦🏻*♀️.

This year I’ve also suspected and self diagnosed rare diseases (sinus cancer- specifically lymphoma of the nose- as well as wegeners granulomatosis). I can logically see the problem is me. How can I transfer this logic to the panicked part of my brain that is worried about my daughter?? Without seeking reassurance from doctors? 🤦🏻*♀️🫣

NoraB
17-12-22, 06:58
I’m so frustrated with myself. My daughter has facial asymmetry.

Most people do, to some degree or other. Hence, most of us have one side of our face that's more photogenic than the other. (Around 2% of the world's population have true facial symmetry).

I have a problem. I also posted her picture on their Facebook page and the responses were that it could be normal asymmetry but to keep an eye on it. For a sane person this sounds like good advice- but for me it made me convinced that they wouldn’t tell me to keep an eye on it unless they thought it is what it is 臘*♀️.

Emma, I'd advise against posting pictures of your child on the internet to people you don't know in online groups such as Facebook. This is because once you post a picture, you lose control of who sees it, and there are some weirdos out there.

Also, you might want to consider how your daughter would feel about you posting pictures of her on social media and asking strangers if they think she has a deformity?

If you have a medical concern about your child, it's your GP you should be speaking to. (Speaking to folk in that group has only served to make you more paranoid).

I can logically see the problem is me. How can I transfer this logic to the panicked part of my brain that is worried about my daughter?? Without seeking reassurance from doctors? 臘*♀️﫣

The problem is absolutely you, but at least you recognise this. You are transferring your HA onto your child, as many HAers do. What help are you getting for the health anxiety etc?

Emmalee01
17-12-22, 07:42
Most people do, to some degree or other. Hence, most of us have one side of our face that's more photogenic than the other. (Around 2% of the world's population have true facial symmetry).

Emma, I'd advise against posting pictures of your child on the internet to people you don't know in online groups such as Facebook. This is because once you post a picture, you lose control of who sees it, and there are some weirdos out there.

Also, you might want to consider how your daughter would feel about you posting pictures of her on social media and asking strangers if they think she has a deformity?

If you have a medical concern about your child, it's your GP you should be speaking to. (Speaking to folk in that group has only served to make you more paranoid).

The problem is absolutely you, but at least you recognise this. You are transferring your HA onto your child, as many HAers do. What help are you getting for the health anxiety etc?

I agree with all of what you say and seeing it written out makes me more mortified really. The big problem is clearly I’m not doing enough for my health anxiety. I’ve got anti anxiety medication but clearly need to sort some counselling…

NoraB
17-12-22, 08:06
I agree with all of what you say and seeing it written out makes me more mortified really. The big problem is clearly I’m not doing enough for my health anxiety. I’ve got anti anxiety medication but clearly need to sort some counselling…

You absolutely do.

Medication is helpful but it only deals with the physical symptoms of anxiety. The underlying issue is with your thinking and for this you need psychological therapy.

Irrationality means that we make poor choices, Emma. Most of us on here will have done stuff that's mortified us, I know I have, and several times over. But, it's about where you go from here. For me, that should be to remove the photo from Facebook. Remove yourself from that group. Stop Googling. Speak to your GP about how your anxiety is affecting you and ask to be referred for some therapy.

I want to add that it's a good sign that you understand that you need some help here. (You just need to take the next step to ensure that you get that support).