PDA

View Full Version : Worried about blocked nostril

LateRoses
20-12-22, 02:00
Hi everyone,

Last Monday I incidentally noticed that my left turbinate was really big (most likely hyperthrophied) and used Flonase 2x per day to see if it would shrink in case it was swollen due to inflammation (my nose felt fine and I wish I never looked in there in the first place). After using Flonase, my nostrils were getting drier and drier day by day but I persisted with the spray for 6 days until I couldn't take the dryness/irritation anymore and stopped. I'm not sure if it was due to the dryness but even though I was breathing through my nose, it didn't feel like I was taking proper breaths and it just didn't feel right. I'll preface this by saying my fiance came home with what seemed to be a cold on the 4th day of me starting Flonase however I don't think I've caught his illness because I have no other symptoms like cough, sneezing, excessive mucus, etc, just this blocked nose issue described below...

Starting some time yesterday, my left nostril is getting fully blocked every few hours and not even Sudafed/pseudoephedrine is helping it stay consistently unclogged which worries me greatly because why wouldn't it be helping?? It seems to have a mind of its own and sometimes unclog for a minute or two before clogging back up and also unclogging for a bit during the nasal cycle. I'm really worried that the Flonase I used that seemed to dry out my nose has caused permanent damage to my nasal tissue, has made huge nasal polyps take over my nasal cavity, or has made the turbinate permanently bigger to the point I'll never breathe normally through that nostril again.

I saw my doctor today who said she saw inflammation in my nostrils and did notice the left was more noticeably swollen. She suggested Flonase and nasal rinses/saline/steam but I'm hesitant to use the Flonase again since I believe it's what caused this problem in the first place (can using Flonase 2x a day for a week cause permanent damage??). Is there any chance this could still be a cold even without the usual cold symptoms? It's really hard for me not to think about this and it's making the blocked sensation so much worse.

ankietyjoe
21-12-22, 09:53
Read up on rebound congestion from those nasal sprays.

Start using saline instead.

I used to use a nasal decongenstant and experienced the same thing. They should be used once or twice every few weeks at MOST in my opinion.

Elise
06-01-23, 15:10
My boyfriend suffers with a blocked nostril almost all the time, in his case he thinks it is allergies and anti histamines seem to help, assuming you haven't already ruled this out