PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin supplements

ServerError
20-12-22, 18:54
I was just wondering what people's thoughts are on taking vitamin supplements. Not from a health anxiety perspective, just general health and wellbeing. I always find it odd that pharmacists sell a vast array of vitamin and mineral supplements, yet everything I read online suggests there's no real benefit to them. Although some pharmacies sell chocolate, so I guess they're as profit-driven as anywhere else. I take vitamin D in the winter months because apparently we're deficient in that in northern Europe at this time of year.

.Poppy.
20-12-22, 19:15
I think generally, it's a good thing to talk to your doctor about. There are some vitamins where if you consume too much, they just leave your system, and there are others that can cause damage if you "overdose". People also tend to get a lot of the vitamins they need if they are eating a balanced diet, so supplementing too much is often unnecessary.

Personally, I do take Vitamin D from time to time because my doctor told me it would assist my immune system, though I do spend a lot of time outside in winter so still get a good amount of sunshine. Otherwise I just don't mess with it. I'd probably just forget to take it anyway. :roflmao:

ankietyjoe
20-12-22, 20:05
I was just wondering what people's thoughts are on taking vitamin supplements. Not from a health anxiety perspective, just general health and wellbeing. I always find it odd that pharmacists sell a vast array of vitamin and mineral supplements, yet everything I read online suggests there's no real benefit to them. Although some pharmacies sell chocolate, so I guess they're as profit-driven as anywhere else. I take vitamin D in the winter months because apparently we're deficient in that in northern Europe at this time of year.

Vitamin D3 is definitely the one to take in winter, but it's best if it's combined with K2 as they work together.

I also take magnesium glycinate which is good for the nervous system and is used up by the body when stressed.

The issue with most supplements is that they are made from the cheapest possible forms of the vitamin or mineral concerned and aren't all that bioavailable to the body. By the time you've spent money on the supplements you might as well have just bought better quality food with is waaaaay better in terms of getting the right nutrients in. Vitamin D3 is the exception as it's impossible to get all you need from food anyway.

If you're still eating a poor diet and smoking/drinking etc, any supplement you have will have zero impact anyway.

Catkins
20-12-22, 21:28
I take vit d with K2, magnesium, zinc, omega 3 and niacin. The first 3 to boost immune system/help with MH, the last 2 I started to take because I have high bad cholesterol and low good cholesterol so I thought it was worth giving them a go to help with that.

fishman65
20-12-22, 21:44
D3 and K2 here. Otherwise a balanced diet including nuts, veg, fruit, eggs and oily fish particularly mackerel.

NoraB
21-12-22, 07:54
Vit D and B12 for me (I have a history of deficiencies with both).

I can't eat certain fruits and veg (IBS/sensitivities/allergies) so I should probably take a multivitamin. However, I'm sensitive to the fillers they use (and I struggle with iron and constipation) so it's a challenge to find one I can actually tolerate. :shrug:

I also believe that milk chocolate is an essential health food and it's part of my five-a-day. :yesyes:

ankietyjoe
21-12-22, 09:49
Vit D and B12 for me (I have a history of deficiencies with both).

I can't eat certain fruits and veg (IBS/sensitivities/allergies) so I should probably take a multivitamin. However, I'm sensitive to the fillers they use (and I struggle with iron and constipation) so it's a challenge to find one I can actually tolerate. :shrug:

I also believe that milk chocolate is an essential health food and it's part of my five-a-day. :yesyes:

You might do well to do some research on the carnivore diet.

It's allegedly a bit of a magic pill for fibro too, especially as you seem to have reaction to fruit/veg.

Fishmanpa
21-12-22, 13:53
Both the wife and I take supps. She has magnesium, calcium, zinc (all good for post menopause), D3, E as well as a supp for her joints (glucosamine/chondroitin), a multi vit and a pro-biotic. I take D3, E, a niacin supp (goes along with my cholesterol meds) and saw palmetto (prostate health goes along with my med for it).

That along with good nutrition can be beneficial to your health. I agree with asking your doctor.

FMP

ankietyjoe
25-12-22, 17:00
Try to go for those with natural sweetness though, as a lot of commercial brands add too much sugar.

There is no nutritional difference between 'natural' sweetness and added sugar. They are the same thing.

Also, if you eat cereal bars you might as well eat mars bars.

Lolalee1
26-12-22, 10:55
I take vitamin C,D and E.I inject myself now with B12,also take Probiotics. Outside the B12 I don’t know if they all help but if they work psychologically, good.:yesyes: