PDA

View Full Version : Help me not Google - Thinking I have a throat issue

rc906
28-12-22, 22:06
Hey everyone.

Been on a really good streak of fighting my HA over the past few months. About six months in with anxiety meds have been generally pretty helpful but I'm on a rough streak over the past few weeks. I found out I'm going to be a dad, so I think I'm starting to feel anxiety again cause I'm worried I won't be there.

At the moment I'm struggling with anxiety because I feel like I have something stuck in my throat at all times (Globus I'm assuming) but I can't shake the idea that it's being caused by (you already know what I think).

I'm currently not going to the doctors for this for two reasons:
1. No insurance at the moment
2. I don't want to go for every single sensation.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, I shouldn't be thinking I have the big C because of such a common sensation right? Like, if this was something to worry about I'd be having trouble swallowing, losing weight, etc. Literally my only symptom is an annoying feeling in my throat, which I know is common but I just cant shake the idea.

I figured I'd air out my thoughts here because this is much more helpful to me than googling (because I know what it will say)

NoraB
29-12-22, 06:46
Congrats on the baby. (You'll never know sanity again, but they're worth it). :yesyes:

The lump in the throat sensation is a very common anxiety symptom, so there's no need to Google. (And you know what will happen if you do).

You say you've been on a 'good streak of fighting your HA over the last few months'. Obviously, you're on medication. Any therapy happening? If not, you're only dealing with the physical symptoms of anxiety - not the type of irrational thinking that's creating the anxiety in the first place..

rc906
29-12-22, 17:31
Congrats on the baby. (You'll never know sanity again, but they're worth it). :yesyes:

The lump in the throat sensation is a very common anxiety symptom, so there's no need to Google. (And you know what will happen if you do).

You say you've been on a 'good streak of fighting your HA over the last few months'. Obviously, you're on medication. Any therapy happening? If not, you're only dealing with the physical symptoms of anxiety - not the type of irrational thinking that's creating the anxiety in the first place..

Hey Nora,

Thank you for responding and for the congrats!

I would really like to be able to do therapy but at the moment, professional help is out of the question for me financially. I'm hoping I can hold out until I can get health insurance later in 2023. Trying to do the best I can in the meantime.

NoraB
30-12-22, 08:28
I would really like to be able to do therapy but at the moment, professional help is out of the question for me financially. I'm hoping I can hold out until I can get health insurance later in 2023. Trying to do the best I can in the meantime.

I see. Well, my advice is to make sure you do get some therapy as soon as you're able because challenging your irrational thinking is how you effectively control/beat health anxiety. I learned how to do this and, as a result, I've been in control of my HA for almost five years, and that's with numerous significant health issues which have had the potential to send me back down the rabbit hole.