PDA

View Full Version : Gone in an instant

BlueIris
31-12-22, 19:32
My beautiful little ginger cat, Dewey - he had a bad reaction to some flea meds and he was gone within about 90 minutes.

I can't even think any more.

Scass
31-12-22, 19:48
Oh no! I’m so sorry, what an awful shock. You poor things, sending lots of love.

Carnation
31-12-22, 19:58
Oh BlueIris, sending you hugs :hugs:

pulisa
31-12-22, 20:14
That's awful..I'm so sorry. You must be in total shock.

BlueIris
31-12-22, 20:34
Stunned and numb, yes.

fishman65
31-12-22, 20:38
Blue :hugs: I'm so sorry to hear this. What a dreadful thing to happen.

pulisa
31-12-22, 21:17
It's terrible. Are you dealing with this on your own or is the vet involved?

BlueIris
31-12-22, 21:27
We'll be going to the vet to get him cremated once they reopen.

fishman65
31-12-22, 21:32
Damn!! Life is so bloody unfair sometimes. It makes me angry.

BlueIris
31-12-22, 21:36
In his five years he fought back from half a dozen near death experiences. We were lucky to have him as long as we did .

Darksky
31-12-22, 22:20
I can well imagine the shock you must be feeling. This will be with you for a while. I’ve been there.

Sending you the strength you need xxx

Fishmanpa
01-01-23, 00:19
I'm so sorry BI :weep: We tried a different brand flea and tick med once and Socrates had a bad reaction and we had to take him to the emergency vet and they helped. I know the pain having lost our boy to cancer on Nov. 11th. Its just a numb kind of disbelief feeling isn't it? Sending healing thoughts and I will tell you, having gotten Constantine has really helped us. I really wasn't ready but my wife kept telling me to look and I found the little bugger. He's been with us a month and things are going quite well. Tasha was mourning the loss of her brother too. She is so much happier now AND, the fact the Constantine was brought up in a foster home with cats and dogs and Tasha grew up with a cat has made things go all the better. They're getting along great.

Sending healing thoughts and wishes... So sorry for your loss...

Positive thoughts

BlueIris
01-01-23, 00:25
Thank you, everyone.

FMP, we have another cat at home. She has a totally different energy to Dewey (imagine the offspring of a circus clown and a tsunami) but her antics have really helped keep us sane tonight.

Fishmanpa
01-01-23, 00:59
Thank you, everyone.

FMP, we have another cat at home. She has a totally different energy to Dewey (imagine the offspring of a circus clown and a tsunami) but her antics have really helped keep us sane tonight.

I hear you! I nearly forgot what having a kitten is like and its basically organized chaos around here. The antics of both him and Tasha definitely take the edge off :)

I'm attaching a video of Tasha and Constantine playing and I hope it brings a laugh and smile to you....

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/EuwuwwNhDJU

Positive and healing thoughts

BlueIris
01-01-23, 04:24
That's adorable! I can't believe Tasha's patience, she's such a good girl!

NoraB
01-01-23, 07:12
Oh Blue, I'm so sorry to hear this!

I don't know what it was about 2022 because my brothers and I all lost our dogs within a few weeks of each other.

There have been a few posts on here about pet loss in the last few months. I'm sorry you've had such a sad start to the new year.

Catkins
01-01-23, 07:56
Oh Blue, I'm so very sorry to hear this, my thoughts are with you.

BlueIris
01-01-23, 09:29
Thank you. Really tired this morning, I dreamed it was all a mistake and waking up hurt.

Carnation
01-01-23, 09:37
I would be too BlueIris.
It was totally unexpected and must have been traumatic for you. That can leave you with fatigue and a bit of emptiness. It's New Year's Day today but you do what you feel you need. If you want a nap during the day, then do so. If you need to get out for a breather, a short walk to clear your head or engross yourself in some comforting films. :hugs:

Scass
01-01-23, 14:17
I don’t know what to say, sorry [emoji3590]

.Poppy.
01-01-23, 15:20
I’m so sorry, Blue. I think the shock must be the worst of it, no time to really prepare yourself or understand the loss. Thinking of you. :hugs:

Magic
01-01-23, 18:07
:hugs::hugs::hugs:Sending hugs xxx

MyNameIsTerry
02-01-23, 23:47
This is terrible new, Blue. I'm so sorry to hear this.

He had so many years left. But from what I know of you he also had 5 wonderful years where he was loved dearly. He knew that and he loved you in the way only pets can; completely.

:hugs::flowers:

BlueIris
03-01-23, 10:19
Took him to be cremated on the way to work today. Was offered the chance to stay home, but Mr. Iris is in the throes of covid right now and doesn't need me fretting over him while he's sick.

Feeling unbelievably tired.

Carnation
03-01-23, 10:28
Even if you are tired, you are amazing!!! :hugs:

Carys
03-01-23, 11:13
Oh my this is terrifically sad ! I didn't know that they could have such reactions to flea meds, it must be rare I guess. Blue, I am so dreadfully sorry, you will have all sorts of thoughts right now - and possibly even blame yourself for administering the meds.....but please don't, we all use everything in good faith. I'm hoping that your vet is able to talk to a little about what happened ?!

BlueIris
03-01-23, 11:16
I know it's awful, Carys, but I just wanted to drop him off, pay and get into work for a few shreds of normalcy.

We gave the same meds to the other cat (who's a lot less sickly) and she was quite unwell for 48 hours and is only just getting back to her current schedule of destroying everything we hold dear.

pulisa
03-01-23, 13:08
Did you get these meds from the vet? If so I'm sure your vet will be horrified and will want to take things further? Even if you can't think about taking things further at this stage.

BlueIris
03-01-23, 13:13
We bought them from Pets At Home.

pulisa
03-01-23, 14:08
You bought them in good faith. It's appalling that something this toxic should be on sale in a major pet superstore. Are you or Pete going to take things further with PAH if you feel up to it?

BlueIris
03-01-23, 14:27
Honestly, I think we may chalk it up to Dewey being fragile. Our other cat was definitely unwell for a couple of days afterwards, but nothing like to the same extent.

Dewey's had several mysterious near-death experiences over the years, and I honestly think we were lucky to have him as long as we did.

Carys
03-01-23, 16:23
There does sound like potentially some weakness, genetic, health or something going on doesnt it - but Blue if your other cat had 48 hours of illness thats very worrying....was it a spot on treatment ? I honestly think there should be some feed back about the product, even if it is rare and Dewey was 'fragile', as for all you know there is a batch problem.

BlueIris
03-01-23, 16:29
It was a tablet rather than a spot on, Carys. Will certainly go to the manufacturer website and leave feedback.

Catkins
03-01-23, 17:12
I think it's definitely worth letting the manufacturer know, there may have been other cases and the batch may be faulty or something.

pulisa
03-01-23, 18:02
Is this the first time you've bought this brand?

BlueIris
03-01-23, 18:29
It is, yes.

WorryRaptor
03-01-23, 19:02
I'm so sorry, that's terrible! That must have been a terrible shock for you. Sending hugs your way.

ckelley116
06-01-23, 19:36
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!