PDA

View Full Version : Mole Biopsy - HA at all time high once again - is it Melanoma?

KJE2282
06-01-23, 08:07
Hi There,

Haven't posted for a while. Mainly because I have my HA under control, but also, generally just reading this forum supports me. This time however I really do think i have something to be concerned about.

I have a mole on my neck. Just before Christmas I noticed that it looked slightly darker, a little raised. I parked it as I know me and my HA, and the fact it could have destroyed my Christmas. So yesterday, I booked a private derm appointment (GPs take too long) to get it checked out.

What they confirmed is: the mole has irregular borders, numerous colours, new pigmentation, is 15mmx6mm, is asymmetrical. Basically, ticking every melanoma box you can tick.

The doctor stated that he didn't 'think' it was melanoma, but it was 'at least' atypical.

I am so cross with myself that I left it. That I haven't had it checked before. Last time I had it checked was probably about 2018 - where the GP said it all looks normal - but I should have gone to a dermatologist.

I am petrified. I need to know that it isn't melanoma, and I have removed it in time. OR, it is melanoma, and I have got it early, and a wide excision is all that is needed.

I just don't know know how to manage this.

I am now on the 2 week rule - just waiting. Would the dermatologist put me on a two week rule if he didn't think it was melanoma? He did say that he wouldn't be unduly concerned right now, but it does need to be tested.

It is typical HA, too'ong and fro'ing with what has been said in my mind, and psycho analysing everything. I am driving myself insane.

I come to this forum in the hope someone can give me some words of comfort. Google is a minefield. I know this. But alas, I still go there.

I am 40 years old and so I am hoping that hormone changes are perhaps something to do with this change in the mole. I couldn't actually tell you when the mole changed, but it has definitely been a very gradual and slow process. It hasn't been overnight, although my mind is trying to tell me otherwise. My husband couldn't see a difference, it was only under the micro scope you could see the colour differences.

Oh my - I am in turmoil.

BlueIris
06-01-23, 08:42
From what I can tell, the 2-week pathway is probably the medical profession covering their collective backsides. If the dermatologist has said he doesn't think it's melanoma, chances are it isn't and he's just being careful.

KJE2282
06-01-23, 09:00
Thanks BlueIris, in my usual rational state of mind, I would believe this. Right now, I am preparing myself for the worst. Googling constantly, and I know this isn't helping. I have managed to get a Private appointment for the initial consultation before removal on 18th January - seems a lifetime away.

I just want to know the outcome, and I know no one here can give me that answer, but you are right....they will always err on the side of caution. But I have so much going against this!!

BlueIris
06-01-23, 09:06
I'd be terrified, too, but chances are that it'll either be nothing or something easily dealt with.

ShaunRyder
06-01-23, 14:04
Regarding the two week path way, I was put on that for a lump in my neck, the doctor said she wasn’t worried at all and was pretty sure it was a cyst, but she said due to being a lump that hadn’t been checked and a certain size she HAD to refer me for the two week path way. I think it’s more just to be safe even if they are pretty sure it’s nothing serious.

KJE2282
07-01-23, 08:12
I went to see my GP yesterday as he needed to get some pictures to refer.

He agreed it has irregularities, but questioned the need to go to the 2 week rule. Initially this really assured me. But now I am questioning how he would know, he isn’t an expert?!

typical HA stuff.

Just a constant battle in my mind. I’m exhausted.

problem I have is because I am so aware of that area, it is constantly ‘itching/irritating’. I just need a distraction until the 18th Jan

WiredIncorrectly
07-01-23, 10:24
Hey there. I can completely relate. I've had lots of HA scares, and I've had Cancer.

Whatever it is, you're in the best hands. I know it's worrying, but you must relax and not let this worry control your day.

It could be anything. I've had this odd spot on my arm since I was a teenager and sometimes it turns into a blood filled mole type spot, and sometimes it's clear. It's still there now. I had to have tests on this and all the Googling in the world told me it's the worst case scenario.

No amount of worry or stress is going to change the outcome of whatever it is. For most people biopsies come back all clear. They're very common and doctors like to take precautions for YOUR health.

Take some deep breaths, stop Googling, and enjoy the day. Distract your mind.

KJE2282
17-01-23, 06:37
I have my first appointment today.

I am petrified of what they are going to say. Petrified that they’ll say they think it IS melanoma rather than they DON’T THINK it is.

having to take anti anxiety meds! Trying to just keep going, but every day tasks are a challenge right now.

Sophi123
03-04-23, 21:42
Hi - what was the outcome? Basically in exactly same positio, awaiting biopsy a week on Friday.

Petrified as HA had been under control but now completely overwhelmed. Have lors of other aches and pains so convinced its spread too :(

I have my first appointment today.

I am petrified of what they are going to say. Petrified that they’ll say they think it IS melanoma rather than they DON’T THINK it is.

having to take anti anxiety meds! Trying to just keep going, but every day tasks are a challenge right now.