PDA

View Full Version : Afraid of the infinity above

Kroko
16-02-05, 18:36
Hello

I sometimes get very anxious when I think about how above me there is infinity...I look at the sky and it frightens me. I start shaking and get all panicky as I realise that there's no escaping it...even when I'm indoors with a roof on top of my head, there's still infinity above that roof.

I don't know if there is a name for this phobia or if anyone else has it...my anxiety really builds up when I look at the sky and think about it, it's so debilitating.

jude
16-02-05, 18:50
Hi Kroko,
I get this feeling a lot. This feeling is part of my agrophobia. It makes you feel very vulnerable.
Last night I had to walk to a meeting round the corner from my house. It was dark and my son asked me to look at the stars. I couldnt without feeling panicky.
Is this what you mean.
Hope this helps
Jude x

Kroko
16-02-05, 19:47
I think so Jude...

It's how the sky is infinite, there's no roof...I also get panicky in a building with a high ceiling, but it gets even worse outside because there's no ceiling, just infinity...and the thought of the infinity above me makes me panicky and anxious even when I'm in a building with a low ceiling. I know that above that ceiling there's infinity...

jude
16-02-05, 21:13
Its pretty freaky isnt it. I deal with this by trying to imagine the gravitational pull holding me down. It calms me down a bit. Although there is infinity above you, at least you know you are safe on the ground. I dont know it this makes sense to you or if it will make any difference to how you feel. Its just a symptom that will increase the more you think about it. We have these strange thoughts in our head with this disorder. Once recovered, it will probably not bother us and seem a little daft.
I have been trying to use distraction when feeling strange things, so try thinking or doing something else,

Jude x

Kroko
16-02-05, 21:18
Yes it's freaky!

If I think about the gravitational pull I start thinking it might stop working all of a sudden and then I'll fall off, although I know that won't happen! [:O]

I'm really glad you understand!

nomorepanic
16-02-05, 21:20
I used to think about the world as a whole and it freaked me out. I tried to imagine not being here and that was weird too.

I think we over-analyse stuff so it freaks us out.

I try not to think about it now

Nicola

JPF
17-02-05, 13:26
Hi Kroko (and Jude)

Yeah I get this kind of thing too (I also start worrying about the nature of time/reality/meaning of existence - all that malarkey).

One thing I try to remind myself - I'm human, I work by association. Therefore, I can have no concept of infinity or even something basic like a light year. To quote from the old Crowded House song "It's bigger than us, we don't have to worry about it.." Be reassured it's all been working fine for billions upon billions of years and there's no reason to suspect that there'll be any significant change for even longer.

As Nicola says, try to keep your mind off it.. easier said than done but ultimately, I think, the best answer.

Good luck

J