PDA

View Full Version : Eye appointment achieved - on 2nd attempt !!

darkangel
25-11-07, 12:22
Just wanted to post my little achievement of managing hospital eye appointment yesterday.

A few months ago, a routine eye check at my opticians found "shapes" in my right eye and I was being referred to hospital eye opthamologist.

Got appointment last week. Long story, but after getting loads of support from friends on here, I went on my own, got taxi, faced hosptial corridors, etc, but by the time I got to the clinic my anxiety was so high that I was hyperventilating and was struggling to calm down. The build up had been so extreme that they didnt want to proceed with all the tests as no one was with me and they were advising to rearrange an appointment.

Came out feeling half a failure and half happy with myself that I had gotten into a taxi and into hosipital on my own.

Anyway, yesterday was my second attempt appointment. My boyfriend came with me. I couldnt let him down so it made me more determined to get through with it. After spending most of the morning in the loo, etc, etc, we got there only to find they didnt have my name on their list.............but the nurse who had dealt with me the previous week remembered me :blush: and spoke to the doctor man. They were so nice and told us to take a seat and she would go and locate my file. Part of me wished she would come back and say sorry they would have to call me back again. But she didnt and I got seen in about 10 mins. Will give you a wee account: nurse calls me, heart racing, legs like jelly, trying to brave, dont want to make a fool of myself (again) so I sits down on chair. She tells me that she has to put in anesthetic drops first, I of course have to get a complete explanation of what I may feel, etc, etc, etc.............drops go in NOTHING felt. God this is so easy I tell myself. They she gets a long white thing to touch my pupil................I counted to 15 and deep breathed.............IT WORKED, no panic..............then some drops next to dilate my pupils..................NOTHING felt again. So that was it......all my hours, days, weeks of analysing, worrying, searching on web, to find out what was going to happen and...................NOTHING DID HAPPEN!!! OK my eyes were a bit blurry and felt little strange when looking at lights but that was it!!
Sat in another room waiting to see doctor man, looked for ages an it turns out I have unusual pigmentation of my right eye, which is perfectly normal for me, and thats why shapes had shown on my examination. He will add into my notes for my optician so they know what the cause is.
So all my thoughts about what may be wrong, were only in my imagination yet again.

What have I learned from this......................dont jump to conclusions, dont think the worse, and definely stop saying What if..............

On a funnier note though, nurse put a sticker on me jumper saying "An award for bravery" :wacko: lol. Im laughing now, but Ive stuck it in my diary for yesterdays date, so when I look at it it will remind me that I did it.

Thanks for everyones support and for letting me write this all down as no-one else really understands.

Luv Darkangel x:flowers:

Piglet
25-11-07, 13:13
Well done love - I can totally relate to just what a big achievement this was!! :yesyes: :hugs:

Love Piglet :flowers:

Pink Panic
25-11-07, 13:16
Well Done Angel :D

What you achieved was amazing and you should be really proud of yourself.

:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

Pink
x

sagey
25-11-07, 16:16
DarkAngel, well done and I'm so pleased for your success.

miss motown
25-11-07, 16:46
well done i could feel your anxiety as i was reading your post as i myself have been thru the same only last year, so well done give yourself a tap on the back x

manmoor
25-11-07, 17:21
Aww a big well done Darkangel hun. xxx

Pink Princess
25-11-07, 19:20
http://stuff.pyzam.com/graphics/other/MJZ310.gif

well done angel you done it xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

lots of love xxxxxxxxxx

honeybee3939
25-11-07, 19:28
Hi Darkangel

I can appreciate how hard it must have been for you too hun, i think you did fantastic:yesyes: WELL DONE !

p.s. im soooo jealous i so want one of those bravery award stickers !:winks: what a brill idea, glad you got it stuck in your diary:yesyes:

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxxx

alexis
25-11-07, 21:45
Well done to you, I understand how you feel 100%, I have to go to hospital twice yearly for a serious eye complaint and I hate every minute of every visit, the waiting in a busy room is just unbearable and then to go from room to room and waiting for drops to work etc, usually at least tewo hours out of aday,,so well done, mmmmm I havent had a sticker!! Will ask for one next time, lol.

darkangel
26-11-07, 09:45
Thanks guys for your support, Im still feeling pretty drained from it all but like everything else, it will pass.

:flowers:

Wilburis
26-11-07, 10:17
!!!Well done!!!

pips
26-11-07, 10:55
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s103/yourspacecooment/congrats/15.gif

Well Done You.:yesyes:

Have some more stickers from me hun! :winks:

http://www.brainwaves.net/asps/uploads/big/1072-1.jpg

Take Care,

Love Pip's X X X X

Nibbles
26-11-07, 16:48
Wooooo! Stickers! Way to go Lorna, you coped brilliantly. :yesyes: Just one question:

Will give you a wee account

Why did you have to give a wee account when it was an eye problem? :shrug:

panicdiva
26-11-07, 23:11
Well Done Dark Angel,
I loved your story, so glad that you came through it still laughing. Glad the outcome was so positive too.

:yesyes:

groovygranny
26-11-07, 23:47
Here I come - puffing and panting and bringing up the rear because....

....GG's late as usual !!:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: !!

You are some brave lady my dear friend!!:yesyes:

Well done you !! xxx

Would you like me to slap Mike now....or later?!!!! lol :winks:

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

:flowers:

darkangel
27-11-07, 10:43
Thanks guys, Im loving all the bravery award stickers lol.

Mike, PMSL, cos Im from Scotland I tend to write on here the way that I speak, "Ok i will give you a wee account of what happened". Hee hee :wacko:

Luv Darkangel :flowers:

shoegal
27-11-07, 11:14
WELL DONE!!! :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

Love and hugs from shoegal xxx

Alabasterlyn
28-11-07, 16:47
Well done Darkangel, I think you did really well :hugs:

Southern_Belle
01-12-07, 05:13
Great job Dark Angel. I too have worked myself into a panic that ends up not being as bad as I thought it would be. So glad you ended up following through and making sure things were okay.

Hugs,

Laura