PDA

View Full Version : Is alcohol mixed with anxiety really that dangerous?

TaleOn11
11-01-23, 20:33
First I want to clarify that I am NOT an alcohol addict. I drink only during weekends and the occasional Thursday.

But I've been told that, if you have quite a lot of alcohol and withdraw from it, you can not only experience spike in anxiety but also something life threatening like seizures or, my worst nightmare, a heart attack! I start worrying about this because, I spent all Christmas and New Year drinking. Not too much of course but quite a lot and my anxiety spiked after that. But I gotta be fine because I've been drinking like this for years. Surely I have nothing to worry about right? Thanks

ServerError
11-01-23, 21:27
The life-threatening seizures etc that can happen with alcohol withdrawal only happen with years of heavy drinking. You won't get withdrawal just from overdoing it a bit over Christmas.

MyNameIsTerry
11-01-23, 22:10
The anxiety spike can be because serotonin spikes when drinking. So you drink more and the next day you are out of balance. Your body needs to rebuild these chemicals and we tend not to want to eat healthy foods until the hangover clears.

So you feel rubbish and have heightened anxiety.

spectrum123
11-01-23, 22:25
Morning after anxiety or 'hangxiety', has been known about for years, and is really common, even in those who don't suffer from anxiety normally.
You are not alone, millions suffer from it the following day.

TaleOn11
07-02-23, 18:24
I also have to ask. Is it true that, the more you drink on one night, the more it affects your mental health for more than one day?

Lolalee1
08-02-23, 08:41
Yep