PDA

View Full Version : Cooking a very spicy chicken curry with Ugandan sweeet potaotes

WiredIncorrectly
13-01-23, 15:32
I've only just started cooking it. My eyes are burning. Also got samosas on the side (hence the frying pan)

And these are the chillies that went into it (green chillie, scotch bonnet and Carolina reaper)

Toilet paper is in the freezer ready :roflmao:

Will update.

BlueIris
13-01-23, 15:44
Good to see you weren't using fresh Reaper, you want to be able to control how much of that goes in ;)

Pro tip for you and any other hotheads, add a little Naga powder to homemade burgers. Husband and I reckon the trick is to take what you think will be hot enough and add about another third for luck ;) Naga and beef is the best flavour combination.

Enjoy!

WiredIncorrectly
13-01-23, 16:07
Good to see you weren't using fresh Reaper, you want to be able to control how much of that goes in ;)

Pro tip for you and any other hotheads, add a little Naga powder to homemade burgers. Husband and I reckon the trick is to take what you think will be hot enough and add about another third for luck ;) Naga and beef is the best flavour combination.

Enjoy!

Naga powder is good stuff. I did a Naga curry once and that was too much for me. You're right, being able to control it is important. I put too much CR in once and it ruined a meal.

I didn't know you was a spice head Blue.

You ever ordered a hot curry from a take away? I have tried every place local to me and non of them can even do a vindaloo properly. I asked for a Tindaloo once and they didn't know what it was. Most of the places just overload it with green chillies, which doesn't work.

BlueIris
13-01-23, 16:17
I had a very hot chilli and garlic curry at our works' do at Christmas and it was pretty good. Not a huge fan of British curries in general, though, so the places I go to tend to be a bit more basic and don't have Madras, Vindaloo and the like.

For what it's worth, I find that the hottest stuff you can get at Nando's is warming but it doesn't blow my mind.

I like chillies for flavour rather than just heat, if that makes sense? If you want, I can point you towards some of the best hot sauces the UK has to offer; Mr. Iris and I have been keeping track of the UK chillihead scene for years now.

WiredIncorrectly
13-01-23, 16:31
Yes please :)

I like the spice, it adds interesting flavors. There's a science behind mixing herbs and spices to create new flavours. I'm not so good with that.

I have an ebook I purchased some years ago that teaches you how to make a real Indian restaurant curry. The base sauce is made from onions and cabbage (I think there's carrots too). It's all blended down and creates the thick sauce. And the secret taste is onion bajis. You get them free in many restaurants because they use the oil to cook the curry. I shall dig a copy out for you.

The same base sauce is used for every curry, they just mix in spices and herbs to create the flavor of the curry you want. The book shows you how to make a huge batch that you can freeze and use. I made it only once, and it took me an entire day. Was hard work. But, it did taste like a restaurant curry.

Darksky
13-01-23, 16:31
Scotch Bonnet and Carolina Reaper! You do like it hot don’t you? I have a rather pathetic Butter Chicken for my dinner.:blush:

Enjoy and good luck:winks:

WiredIncorrectly
13-01-23, 16:35
Scotch Bonnet and Carolina Reaper! You do like it hot don’t you? I have a rather pathetic Butter Chicken for my dinner.:blush:

Enjoy and good luck:winks:

Butter chicken curry is lovely! I like Biryani too.

BlueIris
13-01-23, 17:55
I'd love to see it, James, thanks.

It's also well worth exploring South American cuisines.

WiredIncorrectly
13-01-23, 18:19
Sent the 2 books to your PM. There's a part 1 and a part 2.

I've never explored South American cuisine. I shall. I mostly eat Indian foods, but I've been looking at some African recipes too.

BlueIris
13-01-23, 18:27
For our 20th anniversary we went to a fairly fancy Peruvian restaurant (restaurant didn't have a Michelin star but the chef did). It was probably the best meal I ever had in my life.

WiredIncorrectly
13-01-23, 18:31
For our 20th anniversary we went to a fairly fancy Peruvian restaurant (restaurant didn't have a Michelin star but the chef did). It was probably the best meal I ever had in my life.

What did you have? I don't know the names of any foods or delicacies from that side of the world.

Many places eat sheep head like it's normal food. I'm sure it is to them, it's just we don't really get to eat things like that over here so it seems "gross". I'd love to try it though.

BlueIris
13-01-23, 19:10
I started out with something called a causa, which was sort of like a cold potato puree topped with chicken and a chilli sauce. For main I had beef rib with root vegetables on a base of cheesy potato puree, then my dessert was chocolate mousse with meringue wafers.

It was all quite complex, and there's a lot I'm missing out, will add photos later.

WiredIncorrectly
13-01-23, 19:37
I started out with something called a causa, which was sort of like a cold potato puree topped with chicken and a chilli sauce. For main I had beef rib with root vegetables on a base of cheesy potato puree, then my dessert was chocolate mousse with meringue wafers.

It was all quite complex, and there's a lot I'm missing out, will add photos later.

Thank you I look forward to seeing them. I had a quick google of "Causa a la limeņa" (assuming that's the same thing). That does look very complex, and tasty!

Catkins
14-01-23, 07:44
You brave souls! I made a spinach and chickpea curry last night for tea, it sounds very mild compared to your choices, tasty but mild.

MyNameIsTerry
14-01-23, 09:08
At least the pain of that broken toe will be forgotten when you're breathing fire down the toilet the next day :ohmy::blush:

WiredIncorrectly
14-01-23, 14:29
At least the pain of that broken toe will be forgotten when you're breathing fire down the toilet the next day :ohmy::blush:

Terry, the pipes are not moving today. I'm happy about that :roflmao:

MyNameIsTerry
14-01-23, 14:42
Terry, the pipes are not moving today. I'm happy about that :roflmao:

Yeah but perhaps it's like the volcano backbuilding for the main event! https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/toilet/t9717.gif

Toilet Duck won't be strong enough. You'll need Toilet Ostrich:roflmao:

WiredIncorrectly
14-01-23, 14:54
Yeah but perhaps it's like the volcano backbuilding for the main event! https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/toilet/t9717.gif

Toilet Duck won't be strong enough. You'll need Toilet Ostrich:roflmao:

Terry, you make me laugh out loud in real life. I've missed your banter mate.

WiredIncorrectly
14-01-23, 21:13
Damn, Ugandan potatoes are very very nice! I was meant to cook them with the curry but I forgot to put them in the oven so had them today. They're full of nutrients and vitamins. You can source them from halal supermarkets. Definitely recommended. Don't fry them, they become carcinogenic.