PDA

View Full Version : Period and the Flu

TheArcher90
16-01-23, 22:09
This isn't supposed to sound like a Julia Donaldson book title but as it states, is there a scientific correlation between the two?

Run down of Dec.

I had the awful flu that was going around early December, period came 3 weeks later on time and then I caught the flu AGAIN, just as bad while on my period. My period was a little longer it usually was so assumed this was because I was ill. Now we're in Jan and I'm a day late according to my app. I can be anything between 26 and 28 and its now day 29/30.

I had really bad cramps across back and abs yesterday and nausea leading up. I am not pregnant by any chance as haven't had sex in years. I'm 32.

BlueIris
17-01-23, 05:35
Any sort of illness can mess with your period, and a bad case of flu is more than enough.

Please don't worry about this? I used to get terrified about these things too, but I swear there's no need.

Quick edit: periods can start becoming less reliable in your 30s anyway, I know mine did. They're always going to do weird and scary stuff, so you can save yourself a lot of heartache by making peace with this sooner rather than later.

TheArcher90
18-01-23, 11:53
Thank you BlueIris. I'm still waiting for the monthly visitor, 3 days late now. What is frustrating is that I'm having all my signs it's on the way like menstrual migraines, nausea, slight irritability.

I regrettably let myself Google Ovarian Cancer and missed period, and even though its a rare symptom I'm letting myself run with this. I haven't felt this anxious in a long time.

I know I had the flu twice and I know it can affect cycles, but here I am being catastrophic

BlueIris
18-01-23, 12:04
Everything is going to be okay.

TheArcher90
20-01-23, 12:49
Update if anyone reads with same worries, my period had arrived 5 days late.

Will be sensible and monitor future cycles but it may likely be the December month of illness plus new vitamins I'm taking (hormone balancing).