PDA

View Full Version : I just don't know what to do any more. Tired of the fight.

Cutecat25
22-01-23, 09:17
I have suffered with anxiety since I was around 8 or 9 years old. I have had periods where it has gotten worse or a little better, but it never completely goes away.
This last year has been absolute hell.
I got pregnant, had severe anxiety, had an early miscarriage, and the following month got pregnant again.
I tried to find the courage to face it. I sought therapy, spoke to my gp, various hotlines etc, but couldn't get my anxiety to a manageable level to continue the pregnancy. This led to a termination which I have deeply regretted everyday since.
Since the termination my anxiety, particularly my health anxiety has been out of control. I have suffered with months of derealisation, i'm constantly finding lumps and bumps and other symptoms that have me running to the doctor every week, and I live with this constant burning nervous energy which I cannot get rid of no matter what I do.

I am doing EVERYTHING in my power to get better so I can fufill my dream of having a child. Everything I do is for the sake of my future child.
I am seeing a perinatal psychiatrist who has been absolutely amazing, she has been doing talk therapy with me, helping me to put into place plans for my future pregnancy and has also put me on lexapro. I have been
on the lexapro for around 3 weeks now (2 weeks of the therapuetic dose) and notice no difference whatsoever. Infact my anxiety seems worse and i'm feeling extremely hopeless and defeated.

I really am trying. I am walking everyday, eating a lot better, seeing the psychiatrist, taking medication and trying my best to redirect my anxiety to something productive, such as reading, music, deep breathing etc. I do all this not for myself, but for my future child, and for my boyfriend who has been my absolute rock and doesn't deserve to have to see me constantly breaking down.
I just feel like a hopeless case. For once in my life I just want to feel at peace. Not be worrying about cancer 24/7, feeling this constant dread, breaking my boyfriends heart day after day because I can't go even a few hrs without looking for lumps or googling symptoms.

All I want is to be happy, healthy and have a child of my own. Is that too much to ask?

I'm so worried that no one will ever be able to help me and this will be my life.

Elise
22-01-23, 13:50
I'm so sorry about your miscarriage.
I had a termination in October 2021 and was extremely anxious and depressed for a long while afterwards. You need to get better for you - not just your future child! I know that it's easier said than done, but the more you practice self care, you will be in a much better place to prepare for a baby. It's only been two weeks on lexapro, it can take up to six weeks to notice a difference, when I started citalopram I didn't notice an improvement until around the 8 week mark. I don't mean to make it sound like you'll have an awful 8 weeks like I did, we are different, but the way I felt when I started feeling the benefits, it was worth those 8 weeks.

You need to stop googling, again, I know hard this is - TRUST ME. The only thing you should be googling is 'how to stop googling symptoms' do you have any hobbies you enjoy that you could throw yourself into as a distraction? Something small, going for a daily walk, starting small with a walk round the block, gradually going further each day is an idea.

Please stop being so hard on yourself, saying you're only doing it for your future baby and your boyfriend is where you're going wrong, do it for you, plus by doing it for you - you are in turn doing it for those around you too. They want you to do it for you.
You have taken the first brave steps in admitting you need help, its going to be hard but it's in your hands.

I'm so worried that no one will ever be able to help me and this will be my life.
You will be able to help YOURSELF, you are brilliant and capable.

Fishmanpa
22-01-23, 22:01
CLICK HERE! (https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/mental-health-helplines)

FMP

Cutecat25
23-01-23, 04:02
@elise
Thank you for your very kind reply. I will take on your advice!

@fishmanpa
Thanks for the resources!