PDA

View Full Version : Accidental Quetiapine Overdose

Andy699
26-01-23, 14:12
Last Saturday (5 days ago now) I had a really busy day and was in a right kerfuffle and I accidentally took too much of my Quetiapine. Realised and immediately freaked out, went to hospital and they monitored me. It was me extremely drowsy and sleepy but the Dr said it's hard to OD on Quetiapine anyway, my blood pressure, pulse, ECG and blood results were all normal and I was sent home after a night in A&E. However last night I kept having nightmares and I kept waking up with my heart POUNDING, like literally so hard and noticeable and I've had it all day today and now I'm SERIOUSLY scared that I've permanently damaged my heart in someway by taking too much?! Please help I'm so scared

nomorepanic
26-01-23, 15:22
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

nomorepanic
26-01-23, 15:23
The doctor's said you were ok and let you out.

I think you are just worrying and causing anxiety symptoms.

panic_down_under
27-01-23, 08:12
but the Dr said it's hard to OD on Quetiapine anyway,

He's right. Serious injury, or death is rare even at doses in the thousands of milligram. Most people just sleep it off (it is also a fairly potent sedating antihistamine).

my blood pressure, pulse, ECG and blood results were all normal

The most common cardiovascular effects at very high doses is a drop in blood pressure and tachycardia (rapid pulse). Neither occurred in your case which suggests the dose wasn't that high. The safe dose range for reasonably healthy adults is 50-800mg/day. Am I right in thinking the combined dose was still at the lower end of the range?

However last night I kept having nightmares and I kept waking up with my heart POUNDING, like literally so hard and noticeable and I've had it all day today and now I'm SERIOUSLY scared that I've permanently damaged my heart in someway by taking too much?!

The tests they did in hospital don't support your fear. There was apparently no drop in BP, no tachycardia and no markers of muscle damage in the blood tests. The more likely explanation is the nightmares triggered the rapid pulse which fed into your fears about last Saturday with the resulting adrenaline surges maintaining the rapid pulse throughout the day.