PDA

View Full Version : Trusting the Doctor (Please Yell at Me) - Angiokeratoma

PennyP123
27-01-23, 15:21
So I discovered a small black thing on my private parts yesterday morning. I'm a woman. I discovered it because it hurt. I called my gyno and they got me in immediately. Long story short, the gyno said it is an Angiokeratoma...benign...insignificant...but because mine hurt, she said she could pop it. It's like a blood blister ...sort of she explained. She said it was black because it was full of old blood...and her diagnosis would be confirmed when she popped it because blood would come out. Well, it was very painful...I made her pop it. Blood came out. I should be happy right?

Wrong...because HA...

So I'm now wondering if she shouldn't have sent this off to biopsy to make sure it's no the big C (Mel).

When she was done popping it she said, "I don't have to even send this off for biopsy or anything, it's definitely an Angiokeratoma."

So please yell at me to stop obssessing about this. You see I Googled (yes, I'm sorry to say)...and noted that the treatment of choice is not to "pop" them but to either remove them (cryo, surgery, laser, whatever...) or leave them alone. Also, it's not real common particularly in women. Some places say it doesn't need biopsy just a clinical exam unless the doctor is unsure.

I even asked her, "Can this come back?"

She said it could but if it did not to freak out (she knows me) and to come back in to either pop it again or remove it or whatever.

Please help me.

Punky789
29-01-23, 05:02
I can absolutely understand the fear you're feeling. But try to remember that your doctor sees hundreds and hundreds of bodies per year, and has trained extensively in medicine, and would absolutely know if something needed further investigation.

Limeslime
31-01-23, 16:30
I have one of these too, on my labia! I’ve monitored it for the past 2-3 years and it has never changed. Because it is so tiny, I decided I’d only worry about melanoma if it grew bigger than 6mm (it’s about 2mm) the blood can make it look black, so I understand the panic, but they’re really common!
Plus, a melanoma couldn’t be “popped”. If your gyno had tried to pop/lance a melanoma, she’d have quickly realised she was dealing with something else, as melanomas can only be removed by digging below the level of the skin with a scalpel (I was told this by a gp after scratching off a mole and panicking that I’d removed a melanoma!)
I promise you’re ok! If it was a melanoma, it would still be there because they are deeper than the surface of the skin!

ankietyjoe
31-01-23, 17:43
Well you have a choice you see.

You can either trust the qualified professional and get on with your life, OR you can do the thing you KNOW will cause suffering (Googling) and actually choose to spend your life suffering about something that isn't happening.

It IS actually that simple.

Only a moron would choose to keep suffering, right?

PennyP123
01-02-23, 18:05
I can absolutely understand the fear you're feeling. But try to remember that your doctor sees hundreds and hundreds of bodies per year, and has trained extensively in medicine, and would absolutely know if something needed further investigation.

Indeed and I thank you for reminding me of that!

PennyP123
01-02-23, 18:07
I have one of these too, on my labia! I’ve monitored it for the past 2-3 years and it has never changed. Because it is so tiny, I decided I’d only worry about melanoma if it grew bigger than 6mm (it’s about 2mm) the blood can make it look black, so I understand the panic, but they’re really common!
Plus, a melanoma couldn’t be “popped”. If your gyno had tried to pop/lance a melanoma, she’d have quickly realised she was dealing with something else, as melanomas can only be removed by digging below the level of the skin with a scalpel (I was told this by a gp after scratching off a mole and panicking that I’d removed a melanoma!)
I promise you’re ok! If it was a melanoma, it would still be there because they are deeper than the surface of the skin!

Bless you...bless you...bless you for your answer. That makes perfect sense. You really eased my mind.

PennyP123
01-02-23, 18:09
Well you have a choice you see.

You can either trust the qualified professional and get on with your life, OR you can do the thing you KNOW will cause suffering (Googling) and actually choose to spend your life suffering about something that isn't happening.

It IS actually that simple.

Only a moron would choose to keep suffering, right?

You are correct! You are more than correct on all counts including the part of "only a moron..." Which both made me laugh and slapped me silly....which is exactly what I needed. Sometimes tough talk is actually helpful and in this case, I am gratefully holding onto your words. Thank you...truly.

ankietyjoe
02-02-23, 09:15
You are correct! You are more than correct on all counts including the part of "only a moron..." Which both made me laugh and slapped me silly....which is exactly what I needed. Sometimes tough talk is actually helpful and in this case, I am gratefully holding onto your words. Thank you...truly.

Tough talk is exactly what I needed to escape a few different variants of anxiety, especially health anxiety.

The real trick is SELF tough talk. It's not about bravado or machismo, it's about self care. Being tough on yourself is pardoxically a useful form of self care. Health anxiety is a negative behavioral addiction.

PennyP123
02-02-23, 19:25
Tough talk is exactly what I needed to escape a few different variants of anxiety, especially health anxiety.

The real trick is SELF tough talk. It's not about bravado or machismo, it's about self care. Being tough on yourself is pardoxically a useful form of self care. Health anxiety is a negative behavioral addiction.

That is the real trick now isn't it? I'm working on meeting the challenge. Just today I had a derm appointment (for another issue) and he went ahead a did a full skin check...while burning off 5 different areas of concern....that he said weren't too concerning. I go to this doc because 1. I like him. 2. I can get in quickly if something pops up 3. I trust his expertise - he's not just a dermatologist but also a dermopathologist.

Of course, I walk out of there today relieved and yet wondering if he should have biopsied instead of burned. He always says he'd rather just take a more conservative approach and only cut when he has too. I asked him point blank if anything looked "malignant" and he said "no" but at my age (55-yikes!) and my skin (fair, live in Florida my whole life) it's prudent to be careful and to maintain my twice yearly skin checks....which no doubt I will do. The very very very bad HA part of me freaks out...over what exactly I'm not sure. The tough me has reminded me that there are no guarantees in life and I have a choice to be happy today or constantly worry about everything and nothing.

Well, as you say..."only a moron." :roflmao: and I feel better...at least for today.

HA is like an addiction, I think. I need a 12 step program or something and it's a daily battle.

And I thank you for your insight, virtual internet slap and help!