PDA

View Full Version : Posting about my 8 year old

Mama87
06-02-23, 01:39
Hello, my 8 year old has been having stomach pains off and on for a few weeks now. He says the pain is over the belly button . I took him to the GP last week they didn’t seem concerned. Well the pain is back, my son has been waking up through out the night crying. Panicking . And idk what to do.

Has anyone been in a similar situation with their children? What was the outcome. I’m terrified idk what to do to help him. My husband is taking him to the GP But I’m still terrified , because I’m worried I don’t wanna see my child suffer like this. Whether it is physical pain or mentally. Please help.

Mama87
06-02-23, 01:44
Hello,
My 8 year old has recently learned in school about the circle of life and how everything must die one day.

And he’s completely freaked out and won’t stop talking about dying. Idk what to do, but I think hes terrified what the teacher told him. Now idk how to help him.

Please help , give me some advice what to do. He’s only 8 and he has been waking up through out the night crying saying his tummy hurts.. not sure it’s he’s tummy is actually hurting or if he’s having a panic attack about what he’s learned at school, but idk how to help him. I’m gonna take him to the GP IN THE morning to check out his tummy. But I’m still worried that he’s so worried about what he learned at school.

I don’t know the right things to say to comfort him. I have a history of anxiety and panic myself and I’m on Zoloft. So my son going through this is triggering for me and freaking me out as well.

Has anyone been through anything similar with their own child? How do you cope what did you do to help your child ?

Mama87
06-02-23, 01:47
Hello, my 8 year old has been having stress and anxiety lately to the point where he’s crying and having physical symptoms. I’m wondering if there’s anti anxiety medicine for children ? And if so, what is the dose ? Does the child take it forever ? I’d love to hear your personal experience . My husband is not keen on my medicine,
But I really do not want to see my child suffer mentally. And would prefer to get him some help.

Please share your experiences , did the medicine work for your child?

Lencoboy
06-02-23, 09:58
Although what your son's teacher told him is totally correct in the sense that every living thing eventually dies, some kids can sometimes take things too literally or the wrong way.

What I find most ironic in this particular instance it that for the best part of the past 3 years or so kids in particular have been constantly told to 'beware of Covid' and keep washing hands, social distancing, wearing face masks indoors, etc, so surely your son would have learned about the risks of death due to Covid in particular well prior to those lessons he has been learning in school recently about the 'circle of life'.

Perhaps your son's stomach pains ATM are purely coincidental, especially as there are various bugs in general going around right now.

I had a lot of anxieties myself at the age of your son, but unfortunately such issues were far less understood back then, unlike in these more enlightened times.

Also, all you can really do is keep reassuring your son that he probably won't die until he's a very old man, especially as most people today are generally living longer than ever before, despite more recent events like Covid, etc.

panic_down_under
06-02-23, 10:26
my 8 year old has been having stress and anxiety lately to the point where he’s crying and having physical symptoms. I’m wondering if there’s anti anxiety medicine for children ? And if so, what is the dose ?

Most GPs and psychiatrists would be reluctant to prescribe anxiety medication to an 8 yo these days as they can impact brain development. If treatment is required therapy would be the much better option.

The first step is to have him checked by your GP to rule out other potential causes of his distress. If nothing else is found then your GP will be able to explain the available treatment options and get the process underway if it is warranted.

Your son seems to be having an existential crisis having recently discovered that we don't live forever. This is not unusual and most children come to terms with it without requiring formal treatment. Reassurance and answering children's questions calmly as as matter of factly as possible helps. I understand this is triggering your own anxiety, but try not to show it when talking to him about what is troubling him. I'd keep his teacher in the loop about his response and how it is being handled too.

nomorepanic
06-02-23, 12:17
I am going to merge your threads together so people can see the full picture as you have a few posts going on.

Lencoboy
06-02-23, 16:36
Most GPs and psychiatrists would be reluctant to prescribe anxiety medication to an 8 yo these days as they can impact brain development. If treatment is required therapy would be the much better option.

The first step is to have him checked by your GP to rule out other potential causes of his distress. If nothing else is found then your GP will be able to explain the available treatment options and get the process underway if it is warranted.

Your son seems to be having an existential crisis having recently discovered that we don't live forever. This is not unusual and most children come to terms with it without requiring formal treatment. Reassurance and answering children's questions calmly as as matter of factly as possible helps. I understand this is triggering your own anxiety, but try not to show it when talking to him about what is troubling him. I'd keep his teacher in the loop about his response and how it is being handled too.

I think GPs and the like are reluctant to deal with anything they consider non-essential period. In a nutshell, Red Tape Syndrome.

Mama87
08-02-23, 00:34
So just an update. I took my son to the GP. They did a urine test. Came back fine. Will send stool in for sampling. And will do blood work.

his stomachache stopped when we were in the GP OFFICE. But he’s still waking up in the middle of night crying with a stomach ache.. we have him warm bottle of water to put on his stomach and he fell asleep again.

not sure why he’s waking up in the middle of the night with stomach pains ;(

NoraB
08-02-23, 16:02
not sure why he’s waking up in the middle of the night with stomach pains ;(

If a hot water bottle worked, I doubt that there's anything seriously wrong. Heat helps with pain, for sure, but it's not a miracle worker.

Does your son seem to be stressed at school generally? A lot of kids get tummy aches when they're anxious (I know I did).

Scass
08-02-23, 19:37
My daughter gets tummy aches often, especially at night. It’s usually tiredness, but sometimes it’s worry or over-excitement. I also believe she has a food intolerance to dairy, which can also cause tummy aches.

A heated wheat or rice bag is a great idea, as well as something to cuddle. Please don’t use a hot water bottle as they can be dangerous.

NoraB
10-02-23, 16:14
Please don’t use a hot water bottle as they can be dangerous.

Good point, Scass..

I grew up being attached to hot water bottles (70s and early 80s innit) and luckily without incident - but they can burst. These days, there are other more safer options..

Scass
10-02-23, 21:40
Well I say this because it happened to my friend last year & she had awful burns, it has really scared me, as we used them too, so i am trying to help pass the word.

NoraB
11-02-23, 07:52
Well I say this because it happened to my friend last year & she had awful burns, it has really scared me, as we used them too, so i am trying to help pass the word.

Absolutely...