PDA

View Full Version : Constant Shortness of Breath- Fear of Pulmonary Embolism

Foreverworried093
09-02-23, 03:01
Hello, I hope all is well. I have been having constant 24/7 shortness of breath since early January. It feels like a constant urge to take a deep breath or yawn, but I can never get a full satisfying deep breath or yawn. I’m short of breath when talking, walking and resting. Nothing helps, and I feel it 24/7. I can’t sleep anymore. I had major pelvic surgery in August, and was briefly on birth control for 8 weeks after from October-late December. This started while I was on it, but not constant. I stopped it December 24th and it has gotten worse and worse. My biggest fear is a pulmonary embolism. I went to my PCP and without any testing, he said it was definitely anxiety. I also saw an asthma doctor and the breathing test was normal. My cardiologist also did a 7 day monitor and my results showed a high but normal heart rate, but he said everything was fine and it must be anxiety. I then begged my PCP for a chest xray but that was also normal. I know blood clots only show up on a CT scan though. It is just so hard for me to accept that 24/7 breathlessness that keeps me up all night can be anxiety. I have never had this from anxiety in my life. I am so scared that I have a pulmonary embolism from the surgery and birth control pill. Please tell me if i’m crazy or should push for more testing. No doctor will take me seriously even though I feel like something isn’t right. Any advice or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated. Xx

ankietyjoe
09-02-23, 10:35
This is pretty common, and can actually 'feel' quite bad if you're heavily stressed.

The act of trying to constantly take a deep breath actually makes it worse as you're forcing hyperventilation.

By far the best thing you can do is to start practicing slow, deliberate nose breathing. It will feel counterintuitive, but it does help. Also diaphragmatic breathing too. Probably a good idea to look up a few tutorials on Youtube to clarify exactly what I mean.

I've had periods where I 'knew' something was wrong, it felt like I was suffocating and my blood O2 was reading 97-99%. It's really quite common, but bloody unpleasant.