PDA

View Full Version : Ate Rare Steak

wasdhu
14-02-23, 18:47
My partner ordered a rare steak when we went out. I thought I'd be "adventurous" and tried a bite. It's been several hours and I'm freaking out I'm going to get food poisoning

nomorepanic
14-02-23, 19:44
How can you get food poisoning from rare steak when people eat it like that all the time?

spectrum123
14-02-23, 20:09
I have my steak rare generally, although you mostly get medium-rare in chain restaurants.

Did try steak tartare last year, which is raw steak with a raw egg, didn't get food poisoning from that either.

You are perfectly safe.

Lencoboy
14-02-23, 21:35
I have my steak rare generally, although you mostly get medium-rare in chain restaurants.

Did try steak tartare last year, which is raw steak with a raw egg, didn't get food poisoning from that either.

You are perfectly safe.

Exactly Spectrum. I think cases of food poisoning are actually rarer (pardon the pun) nowadays due to more stringent food hygiene legislation and not forgetting the star ratings often displayed on the main entrance doors to restaurants, pubs, takeaways, etc; of which low-score star ratings would very likely mean local councils imposing instant shutdown orders on the establishments concerned.

I think the reported food poisoning 'epidemic' you probably may have heard of from the late 80s up until around the mid 90s also carried the usual 'moral panic' elements which hardly seem to figure these days.

ankietyjoe
15-02-23, 10:10
My partner ordered a rare steak when we went out. I thought I'd be "adventurous" and tried a bite. It's been several hours and I'm freaking out I'm going to get food poisoning

The chances of getting food poisoning from this are practically zero.

The only beef you don't want to eat rare is pre minced/ground beef, and even then the risks are relatively minor.

Darksky
15-02-23, 11:41
So, you had one bite of your partners steak and I presume he ate the whole thing. He was absolutely fine?

Can you see how the logic of your partner being ok after eating the whole steak should have calmed your thoughts. I know logic goes out of the window with anxiety but the evidence of no harm was there in front of you.

My ‘overdone’ steak preferences would drive many chefs to despair.