PDA

View Full Version : UTI symptoms or reaction to Macrobid?

LuSmith
15-02-23, 18:27
Hey,

Hopefully someone will be able to maybe ease my mind on some symptoms I'm having.. I have been having worsening urinary symptoms for a couple weeks now (especially more so since a colposcopy and biopsy I had). I had a urine sample taken to which they didn't get back to me and let me know to start some antibiotics, so I ended up starting them late. The urine sample came back with mixed growth (maybe because of the discharge etc from the colposcopy etc) but also had e-coli growth. So three days ago I finally started the antibiotic Macrobid/Nitrofurantoin. However since starting it I've been urinating a LOT and frequently. Even more so than before I was taking the antibiotic. I don't particularly think I've been drinking more or less than I usually do either. I've tried to stay off the usual irritants as much as poss.
I'm wondering if this is something the Macrobid is doing, otherwise I'm absolutely paranoid this is worsening and gonna go to my kidneys or something since I left it for too long before starting.
The other symptoms I'm having are some back pain/side pain (but I get this even without UTI), nausea (probably from the meds) and headache/dizziness (also likely from meds as it only happened after starting them). I'm also feeling colder than usual but I don't have a fever.

Just wondering if anyone's experienced this sort of thing on Macrobid or if I should speak to the GP again and see if it's working or not. They usually tell me to take the whole course before enquiring again and I know a random test now probably won't help if I'm already on antibiotics. :unsure:

Hopefully someone might know whether this is normal or not as it's driving me crazy! I can't even nap since I have to keep getting up :weep:

Thanks..

Lana
15-02-23, 18:52
I have had a long history with UTIs, so I flatter myself that I know a little bit about it. I would say as long as there is no pain and unpleasant burning during the actual urination, you are getting better. Take Macrobid all the way through, it is a good and safe antibiotic, which usually does not destroy gut flora. The more peeing is probably from the antibiotic, but you should anyway drink more than usual.

LuSmith
15-02-23, 22:11
I think I scared myself a little as I'm suffering a bit with upper right abdominal discomfort (which is something I get from time to time), and nausea, and now I've read about liver and gallbladder issues caused by the antibiotics I've scared myself a bit and am worried taking it will cause more issues and be deadly. Or if it's possible it's causing the pain... I think I'll call my GP tomorrow to make sure everything is okay and that there's nothing to worry about... :/