PDA

View Full Version : You can be addicted to panic attacks

WiredIncorrectly
03-03-23, 14:19
My brother joked that maybe I'm addicted to panic attacks. So I had a look to see if that was possible, and it is.

An article in Psychology Today backs this up: https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/emotional-freedom/201104/are-you-addicted-anxiety-learn-how-not-be

It's interesting. The article talks about watching news about wars, natural disasters, etc. My thread the other day talked about watching hospital shows.

The strategies to avoid the addiction to panic attacks are very good. Strategy 2 is funny, but I have some of these emotional vampires in my life.

Take a read.

Lencoboy
03-03-23, 16:29
My brother joked that maybe I'm addicted to panic attacks. So I had a look to see if that was possible, and it is.

An article in Psychology Today backs this up: https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/emotional-freedom/201104/are-you-addicted-anxiety-learn-how-not-be

It's interesting. The article talks about watching news about wars, natural disasters, etc. My thread the other day talked about watching hospital shows.

The strategies to avoid the addiction to panic attacks are very good. Strategy 2 is funny, but I have some of these emotional vampires in my life.

Take a read.

Despite having been written and published in 2011 (and numerous further events having happened the world over since then), it is a very interesting article and still remains as relevant (probably if not more so) today. The writer coined an interesting term 'techno-despair', which could plausibly be described as the then-equivalent of what we term 'doomscrolling' today. It was also of course written and published towards the end of the last GFC.

pulisa
03-03-23, 20:00
Is this anything new though? A lot of people don't feel "right" without something to worry about.

Lencoboy
04-03-23, 09:15
Is this anything new though? A lot of people don't feel "right" without something to worry about.

Exactly Pulisa. As I've already said on this forum hundreds of times before the media love to exploit people's fear and anxiety to the max, especially in pursuit of £s, $s, etc.

Little wonder our obsession with 'declinism' and inadvertently nostalgia has grown exponentially and seemingly intensified since the early 2000s, despite the fact that terrible things have pretty much always been going on within society in some form or another since time immemorial. For better or worse, it's the advent of the Internet, social media and of course the proliferation of 24/7 rolling news channels the world over that tell us about stuff (sadly sometimes exaggerated or even false) in great detail that probably wouldn't always had registered pre-21st Century, unless it was something mega significant, of course.

ankietyjoe
04-03-23, 13:27
I don't believe at all it's an addiction to panic, or even an addiction to negative or threat.

The article is failing to differentiate the difference between addiction and habit. Two very, very different things that have some behavioral crossover.

WiredIncorrectly
06-03-23, 16:49
I don't believe at all it's an addiction to panic, or even an addiction to negative or threat.

The article is failing to differentiate the difference between addiction and habit. Two very, very different things that have some behavioral crossover.

Ah, I didn't stop to consider habit. Yeah you're right, it's more habit than addiction and they're two different things entirely. Good point Joe.

MyNameIsTerry
07-03-23, 01:26
Where is the high?

There are similarities but then there are between anxiety and many other disorders. The basic underpinnings of anxiety are part of being human and conditions enhance them into a problem.

So, addiction, habit, obsession? The usual distinction is addiction is seeking a high whereas obsession is seeking relief from something. But then you have such as bipolar where a high is being reached through risky behaviour but it's still not classed as addiction.

Perhaps it's more about classification than biological process?

But seriously, I am not addicted to feeling like shite. I might develop a co dependant relationship with it which is simply a matter of those neurons grouping together in the same way they do to learn a skill.

ankietyjoe
07-03-23, 10:55
Where is the high?

There are similarities but then there are between anxiety and many other disorders. The basic underpinnings of anxiety are part of being human and conditions enhance them into a problem.

So, addiction, habit, obsession? The usual distinction is addiction is seeking a high whereas obsession is seeking relief from something. But then you have such as bipolar where a high is being reached through risky behaviour but it's still not classed as addiction.

Perhaps it's more about classification than biological process?

But seriously, I am not addicted to feeling like shite. I might develop a co dependant relationship with it which is simply a matter of those neurons grouping together in the same way they do to learn a skill.

I think seeking is an important word here.

Having had multiple addictions in my previous life (alcohol, cocaine, weed, smoking) and knowing how to quit addictions, it's the seeking behaviour that's an important distinction with true addiction. I wanted more cocaine, more cigarettes, and even more recently junk food. I recognise the same seeking desire to order a Dominos as I used to get phoning a drug dealer. Not the same, but very similar. Junk food lights you up in a very similar way to cocaine.

So, do we actually seek out panic? I think not. I think it's just self destructive behaviour patterns that result in panic. The subconscious instinvt to check for imaginary danger that the conscious mind hasn't quite got to grips with yet.

WorryRaptor
07-03-23, 14:11
I always saw it as a dodgy connection in the nervous system. A negative feedback loop that keeps repeating eventually causes an inappropriate overreaction (anxiety). Kind of like an ectopic heartbeat. A swell of adrenaline can cause the heart to misfire. I don't think the body wants to feel anxiety, as there really isn't any kind of "high". It feels more like the nervous system becomes conditioned to react to everything as more threatening than it really is. That's just my opinion, and probably way off.

For some people though, anxiety might be their "safe place" so you could technically say they're "addicted". Deviating from their baseline could cause worse symptoms, so they stick with the dose they're used to. People with OCD can experience this with their compulsive behaviours that both alleviate a fear, yet keep the pattern of anxiety going. (I've just come out of a terrible migraine, so probably talking nonsense)

I think the catalyst for anxiety is different for everyone too. My anxiety seemed to rapidly switch off once I addressed a severe vitamin deficiency that had gone undetected for quite a while. I got sick of being told I was "just anxious" even though my body felt incredibly unwell, so paid for a bunch of tests. Had quite a few things I was deficient in, and my body wasn't absorbing nutrients that my brain really needed. I had full on OCD behaviours that completely disappeared once everything was balanced out again. (I had therapy too, which helped with symptom management, but the biggest benefit I felt was after I addressed the deficiencies) I believe nutrition plays a pretty big part for some people and their anxiety. I don't tend to discuss it too much as I never want to minimise somebody else's experience. Their anxiety could be a result of something far more complicated, like trauma. It's not a one size fits all situation.

NoraB
07-03-23, 14:40
I always saw it as a dodgy connection in the nervous system. A negative feedback loop that keeps repeating eventually causes an inappropriate overreaction (anxiety). Kind of like an ectopic heartbeat. A swell of adrenaline can cause the heart to misfire. I don't think the body wants to feel anxiety, as there really isn't any kind of "high". It feels more like the nervous system becomes conditioned to react to everything as more threatening than it really is. That's just my opinion, and probably way off.

Anxiety is meant to deter us from making crap decisions that could kill us. We need anxiety; it's just that anxiety is supposed to be part of the survival system for when we where we encounter actual danger. These days, it's not the sight of drooling bears which trigger our fight or flight; it's our thoughts...

Adrenaline does muck about with heart rate. As does not breathing properly, even though so many people underestimate the importance of learning how to slow the heart rate down with breathing exercises. My breathing exercises are my go-to when my heart starts to go nuts, and it helps me every time. Well, apart from one time, and that turned out to be an allergic reaction to MSG!

I've just come out of a terrible migraine, so probably talking nonsense

I have chronic migraines; they're awful. You have my sympathy, Raptor..

My anxiety seemed to rapidly switch off once I addressed a severe vitamin deficiency that had gone undetected for quite a while.

Excellent point! Vitamin deficiencies can indeed cause anxiety symptoms - as can hormone imbalance, drugs, dehydration, lack of oxygen etc

I got sick of being told I was "just anxious" even though my body felt incredibly unwell, so paid for a bunch of tests.

I went through a similar thing. I felt really, really unwell starting 12 years ago. I've had anxiety disorders all my life. High-severe anxiety is my norm as an autistic. I am used to those symptoms, but my body was doing really weird things, and I've never felt so ill in all my life. The docs kept saying 'Anxiety!!', and I kept saying, 'No! Something else is driving this'. Anxiety amplified things, for sure, but it turned out to be Fibromyalgia...:whistles:

MyNameIsTerry
07-03-23, 14:43
I think seeking is an important word here.

Having had multiple addictions in my previous life (alcohol, cocaine, weed, smoking) and knowing how to quit addictions, it's the seeking behaviour that's an important distinction with true addiction. I wanted more cocaine, more cigarettes, and even more recently junk food. I recognise the same seeking desire to order a Dominos as I used to get phoning a drug dealer. Not the same, but very similar. Junk food lights you up in a very similar way to cocaine.

So, do we actually seek out panic? I think not. I think it's just self destructive behaviour patterns that result in panic. The subconscious instinvt to check for imaginary danger that the conscious mind hasn't quite got to grips with yet.

They are making blanket statements in my opinion. The addict will seek the high but not all anxiety sufferers seek reassurance or attention. Some hide or run away.

The same mistakes get made in OCD. There is also the assumption completing cycles of compulsion satisfies the obsession. But apply that model to high levels of anxiety and it often doesn't as the person just gets more wound up or frustrated feeling unable to control themselves.

NoraB
07-03-23, 14:49
A lot of people don't feel "right" without something to worry about.

Modern life is writing a cheque that our brains can't cash...:shrug: (I don't know if this works, but I like how it sounds) :yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
07-03-23, 14:49

For some people though, anxiety might be their "safe place" so you could technically say they're "addicted". Deviating from their baseline could cause worse symptoms, so they stick with the dose they're used to. People with OCD can experience this with their compulsive behaviours that both alleviate a fear, yet keep the pattern of anxiety going. (I've just come out of a terrible migraine, so probably talking nonsense)

I think the catalyst for anxiety is different for everyone too. My anxiety seemed to rapidly switch off once I addressed a severe vitamin deficiency that had gone undetected for quite a while. I got sick of being told I was "just anxious" even though my body felt incredibly unwell, so paid for a bunch of tests. Had quite a few things I was deficient in, and my body wasn't absorbing nutrients that my brain really needed. I had full on OCD behaviours that completely disappeared once everything was balanced out again. (I had therapy too, which helped with symptom management, but the biggest benefit I felt was after I addressed the deficiencies) I believe nutrition plays a pretty big part for some people and their anxiety. I don't tend to discuss it too much as I never want to minimise somebody else's experience. Their anxiety could be a result of something far more complicated, like trauma. It's not a one size fits all situation.

I don't think you should be wary of discussing deficiency. Anxiety has many root causes that result in it's escalation. Wouldn't it be like not discussing periods or menopause? Ultimately it's all chemical but without deficiency it transfers into negative behaviours and pattern building. But all the same skill learning processes are in play in the mind.

It's easier to build anxiety than dismantle it though since the fight for flight process expects the process to play through a certain way.

I know what you mean about OCD as I've been through similar. Whilst I can identify normal obsessive tendencies earlier in the life they never caused any problems. Then came a drug that ramped up my overall levels of anxiety and suddenly I had lots of OCD themes. Some had no connection to previous tendencies.

I've also witnessed this in my mum. Her salt deficiency caused anxiety & depression. And now her Alzheimer's does.

WorryRaptor
07-03-23, 16:13
I don't think you should be wary of discussing deficiency. Anxiety has many root causes that result in it's escalation. Wouldn't it be like not discussing periods or menopause? Ultimately it's all chemical but without deficiency it transfers into negative behaviours and pattern building. But all the same skill learning processes are in play in the mind.

That's a good point. I suppose my reluctance comes from the fact that my solution seems "too simple". I just worry about insulting somebody who's going through a worse time than me. I've experienced a lot of angry responses (not here) from people struggling with anxiety, when I've suggested checking for deficiencies. My experience might seem "easier" than theirs was. I tend to stick my foot in my mouth a lot when I'm trying to help, so I'm just extra wary of invalidating what somebody else's struggle with "Oh, I just ate more fish and kale etc and I'm doing great!"

I wasn't fully convinced nutrition played such a huge part in what happened to me, but I can honestly say it felt like it cooled my brain down. That's genuinely what it felt like. When I had the somewhat rapid onset of OCD, I felt this uncontrollable dread that manifested as terror of things I actually loved. Animals, cooking, creating, learning, nature - I developed phobias based around those hobbies and interests. I went through CBT which helped tremendously with preventing OCD behaviours, but my mind was still on fire with this sort of alien fear that would latch onto a new thing every other week. The CBT helped, but still felt like a bandage hiding a festering wound. Once I addressed my nutrition and inflammation, it was like night and day. It's like I was my old self again, mentally. I'm still not 100% healthy, and I deal with some crappy symptoms from ongoing health issues, but I'm not in a state of anxiety or dread like I was back then.

pulisa
07-03-23, 16:33
I think it's wonderful that addressing your nutritional deficiencies has helped you significantly, WR. It's given you a better quality of life and that's all that matters.

I think it's important to point out that for others there is little resolution...regardless of effort... and this is not their fault.

WorryRaptor
07-03-23, 16:45
I think it's important to point out that for others there is little resolution...regardless of effort... and this is not their fault
Couldn't agree more. There are so many variables, and one person's solution might not work for another. It's crucial to try and remain sensitive to the fact that everyone's struggle is different.

WorryRaptor
07-03-23, 19:03
I went through a similar thing. I felt really, really unwell starting 12 years ago. I've had anxiety disorders all my life. High-severe anxiety is my norm as an autistic. I am used to those symptoms, but my body was doing really weird things, and I've never felt so ill in all my life. The docs kept saying 'Anxiety!!', and I kept saying, 'No! Something else is driving this'. Anxiety amplified things, for sure, but it turned out to be Fibromyalgia...:whistles:

Glad you got your eventual diagnosis. I have a couple of friends with fibro, and the daily pain they endure is awful. One of those friends spent years being told her issues were depression before a new GP took her on as a patient and actually listened to her. It can be so frustrating when you get dismissed while knowing something else is going on. I often find my adhd makes me appear more anxious than I really am. I'd get flustered at the GP because I'd have SO MUCH to say to them for fear I'd forget important points, but they'd think I'd worked myself up into a panic about my health. Now I write it all down in bullet points and hand it to them.

pulisa
07-03-23, 19:47
Bullet point presentation is the best way to go when you don't want to get labelled as "anxious" in the first 5 mins of a consultation. Be concise with language and stick to the significant points you want to discuss without saying you feel very stressed etc or going off on a tangent.