PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety back / setback?

samtheman
13-03-23, 06:55
Hey guys, it’s been quite a while since I’ve been on here. For the most part I’ve been anxiety free and just living life.

Anyway I’ve had a bit of a setback. January I got told I would be getting made redundant due to my employer retiring. At the time I was a bit worried but I start applying for new jobs and was lucky in that first job I applied for I got, great. Anyway I leave my old job this week and start the new one next Monday.

The anxiety has really kicked in again this weekend, the feeling of fear like something is going to jump out of the closet that feeling, the being unable to settle, the insomnia

I guess I’m worried about this week saying my fairwells, I mean I worked with these guys 10 years, we’ve become friends more than anything, there’s the getting emotional and making a fool of myself, then there’s the starting the new job, I’ll know no one, have no friends, I’ve never even done that kind of work before.

It’s all anticipatory anxiety, I am trying to accept and focus on the here a now but it’s difficult and not really working. Anyone been in this situation or offer any advice? I know I’ll be fine once I get into that new job and settle but it’s a torture at the moment and there’s still a week or more to go.

Darksky
13-03-23, 12:17
Anticipatory anxiety is the absolute pits I know. It leads you down the path to serious ‘whatiffery’

Time will tick on as it always does and this week will go the way of all the others. Saying farewell is always hard but there are a whole new bunch of people waiting to meet you. And think…you must have impressed at the interview, never done the work before and yet you got the job. It’s a new chapter, life is full of endings and beginnings. Try to relax as best you can, difficult I know. Work will occupy you in the week but next weekend try and get outside as much as possible. Don’t sit runminating. This time next week it will be over and you’ll wonder what you were worrying about.

PS..I had a cat we used to call Sam the man.

samtheman
13-03-23, 13:20
Thanks for that. Yeah it’s a torture, the only solution is getting in and getting it done, it’s just these days now leading up I have to try and deal with, it’s old feelings I’d forgotten about the just feeling on edge Grrr