PDA

View Full Version : Brain tumor worry - one sided headache and nausea

Thorey
13-03-23, 19:15
Hi!

I don't get HA very often, especially not the last few years. But now, I'm suddenly worried crazy about having a brain tumor - that one hasn't even crossed my mind before. I've had neuro "symptoms" for some time, but rather typical ones for anxiety - "falling" sensations out of nowhere, peripheral vision phenomena, twitches everywhere, etc.

Luckily, I've never had trouble with headaches or nausea (never migraine). But now, a couple weeks ago, I started getting nausea and decreased appetite, which in itself was bothering but not really worrying. Now, for a week I've also had a persistent headache on the right side, rather near the top of my head. There's like a pulse of pain for about 10 s, every 2-5 minutes or so, consistently every day. I have persistent eye twitches on the same side the past week, and I also feel extremely tired/sleepy.

Categorical as one is with HA, I can't fit this with any "classic" type of headache: Migrane would last shorter/be more intense, tension would be on BOTH sides and not with nausea etc. So now I'm worried it's a brain tumor, and that my previous (and still existing) "neuro symptoms" have been related all this time.

I'm going to see my GP, but it's likely going to take a while and in the meantime I figured I'd post here, instead of browsing other not-so-HA-friendly sites.. just to see if someone has had similar experiences, or just sensible opinions on the matter. The one-sidedness, nausea and persistence has me really worried.

Cheers <3

serith
20-03-23, 12:11
Have you heard anything?

NoraB
20-03-23, 12:49
Categorical as one is with HA, I can't fit this with any "classic" type of headache: Migrane would last shorter/be more intense, tension would be on BOTH sides and not with nausea etc. So now I'm worried it's a brain tumor, and that my previous (and still existing) "neuro symptoms" have been related all this time.

Not sure where you're getting your info from, but I've had migraines since I was 21, and mine can last for days, let alone hours. I can have them on either side, at the back of my head, just across my forehead, or just affecting my eyes. (I also have nausea...)

Before you ask, I've had numerous brain scans and no tumours..

Thorey
22-03-23, 12:36
Yeah migraines are typically onesided, while tension headaches are typically both. I don't think it's a migraine because of duration (weeks) and no prior history. That isn't to say it can't be just about anything, I know it's a health anxiety trap trap of thinking a "perfectly fitting" dangerous diagnose (like brain tumor) is more probable than a non-typical common ailment, which most often isn't the case.. yet the fear and conviction is still there and I have a hard time reasoning with myself, hence the post.

Haven't met a GP yet, it's hard getting appointments right now and I'm not going to rush them just for my own reassurance. I'll try to remember to post here when I do, or if the symptoms subside.

Thorey
30-03-23, 18:09
Just as an update if anyone clicks this one in the future - after a bit more than 3 weeks my nausea has subsided and the headache (right top side of head) is much less frequent during the days. Since it's gotten better rather than worse I feel confident it's not a brain tumor :) So if anyone has the same type of worries, hopefully this could be somewhat reassuring.